Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2009
USA
Another factor is the iPhone in the past has not been subsidized by the carriers. It is very easy to sign a contract and get a free Blackberry or Android phone. It is not common to see a free iPhone for signing a contract.

Eradik

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I don't really understand Oregon being Blackberry dominated.

Oregon does surprisingly have a lot of corporations here that probably use Blackberry for their workforce. Our largest employer is Intel, we've got Nike HQ here, Precision Castparts, and quite a few others. I'm willing to guess a lot of them use BBs for their businesses.

Then again, I could be way off. No idea!

richmonddjs

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2009
Richmond, Va.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

markie said:
That graph makes NO sense. I'm in Montana. I see WAY more Android:

1. The iPhone has only been available here since February (Verizon)
2. Tons and tons of free Android phones were given to Alltel BlackBerry users when they were switched to AT&T in April

It just makes no sense that Montana would already have a majority iPhones in a few months...

Markie, Alltel changed to Verizon. Not AT&T

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I don't think this is saying that a bb dominated state really has more bb than iOS or android. I think it's saying that state has more bb users relative to other states. So if the overall market share for bb is 22%, a state that's 30% bb could be "bb dominated" even though that's neither >50% nor even necessarily > than the android or iOS share in that state. Same for the other os'es, obviously. At least that's how I read this.

akaralias

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2009
The whole graph is meaningless

Try to compare an OS like Android, that is Open Source and has almost hundreds of models in all prices out there and has been the only choice for some carriers to push, with an OS that has only few models in the high price range just does not make sense.

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
Next up: During the GOP Primaries pundits will be trying to correlate the backers of one smart phone user or another with their candidate of choice.

Woe be it unto the smart phone that is a favorite of the biggest loser's backers.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009

Not everywhere. There were a handful of smaller areas that were bought by AT&T.

The DOJ did not let VzW buy 100% of Alltel. IIRC, about 80% was bought by VzW, maybe 5-7.5% went to AT&T and the rest is still operating independently.

revelated

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
But the Cupertino Kids in California are android. Steve Jobs has to hate that...

I PROMISE you the graph is incorrect for Southern California. Now maybe in Northern California things are different and Android runs the roost. But down here, I'm hard pressed to see a person that doesn't have an iPhone. There are a few holdouts - mostly people who favor the customizability of Android like myself - but especially with the female population, they're iHeads.

I didn't see much of Seattle the times I've been there, but of the people I saw, they all had iPhones.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Simple... Android is the cheaper alternative for people who can't afford an iPhone. Some people say Android phones are "almost" like an iPhone, so that's their consolation. Also, calling + data plans are not easily affordable. Even for people who can afford an iPhone, current iPhone service plans don't make sense when compared to T-Mobile or MetroPCS plans, who offer Android phones as an alternative to the iPhone.

Basically, it's all a matter of what's affordable and not or what's better.
When the iPhone came out, I could afford it, but I was not going to give up my T-Mobile Unlimited Plan, so I bought a Touch Pro 2; I certainly regret it now, and now I'm willing to switch to AAT&T so I could get the iPhone 5. I'm sure there's a lot of people in a similar situation, so these statistics are soon to change.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Simple... Android is the cheaper alternative for people who can't afford an iPhone. Some people say Android phones are "almost" like an iPhone, so that's their consolation.

I am getting tired of that argument because of how much BS and miss information there is in it. People are buying Android phones that cost as much if not more than the iPhone on contract.
Atrix sold well on AT&T, Samsung infused selling well (again same price) HTC Android phone sold fairly well when it was the same price. Capitave as well.

On Verizon you have the Droid2/3 which both did pretty well when they were the same price. The Thunderbolt is selling fairly well and it COST MORE than the iPhone.

Over seas you have the GalaxyS 2 which cost more.
Now you have the iPhone 4 which is massively over priced for its specs. It should at this point be at most a $99 on contract phone if it was made by anyone else.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
iPhones are more popular in Southern CA because people there are very vain. Moreso than anywhere else. Also Steve Jobs has always been influential with the Hollywood set, Apple laptops are shown with the logo displayed prominately in the movies. If another laptop is being used it's logo is covered. It's a very subtle yet interesting difference.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
iPhones are more popular in Southern CA because people there are very vain. Moreso than anywhere else.

I can attest to that. There is not a day that goes by that I am amazed by the level of it here. On the other hand, by attracting all the shallow selfish people from across the country, & thus concentrating trashy people in one spot, it keeps the rest of america relatively clean.

Not sure it has any effect on what phone people are using though.

I think this map attempts to find patterns in data where there are none. & using state lines to define regions just makes it even less meaningful.

ArcaneDevice

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2003
outside the crazy house, NC
This map might have some relevance if Android and iOS were available on all the same networks.

People hate AT&T.

People hate Verizon.

Whether they have an iPhone or not makes no difference. The next carrier I jump to will not have an iPhone because I hate both those companies. They will however have Android.

This map may as well compare USB 2.0 and Thunderbolt usage.

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

It really helps to know what you're talking about before you correct someone. Verizon bought Alltel, yes. However, like many large-scale transactions, it involved mandated divestitures. About half of the Alltel coverage area (though a far smaller percentage of customers) was required to be divested as it would leave Verizon with a near monopoly. Almost all of Montana, except for one market area where there was no Verizon service, was divested to AT&T.

Here's a map of how it breaks down:

http://www.cellularmaps.com/alltel_divest.shtml

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
I PROMISE you the graph is incorrect for Southern California. Now maybe in Northern California things are different and Android runs the roost. But down here, I'm hard pressed to see a person that doesn't have an iPhone. There are a few holdouts - mostly people who favor the customizability of Android like myself - but especially with the female population, they're iHeads.

That's hasn't been my experience at all! Yes I see a ton of iPhones in Socal, but I see a ton of Android devices as well. I was at a picnic yesterday and I actually saw more Androids now that I think about it. But overall I would say it's about 50/50. Which means Android is definitely cutting into Apple's pie, because iPhones were the only thing you used to see.

It's party because Apple has limited themselves to only one (and now two) carriers but it is also because of the plans that carriers have for the iPhone. Why pay $100 a month for service when you can have another smartphone at 1/2 or even 1/4 that rate by going with a prepaid plan? In these economic times, $25 a month on Virgin Mobile sounds a whole lot better to the wallet!

silentnite

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
Outer sight.. Outer mind
Pa. is very much an android state. iPhone or apple hasn't been able to penetrate the Northeast that much as of yet. However apple products are starting to pop up much more as a lot of city people start to make way to the small towns.

revelated

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
That's hasn't been my experience at all! Yes I see a ton of iPhones in Socal, but I see a ton of Android devices as well. I was at a picnic yesterday and I actually saw more Androids now that I think about it. But overall I would say it's about 50/50. Which means Android is definitely cutting into Apple's pie, because iPhones were the only thing you used to see.

It's party because Apple has limited themselves to only one (and now two) carriers but it is also because of the plans that carriers have for the iPhone. Why pay $100 a month for service when you can have another smartphone at 1/2 or even 1/4 that rate by going with a prepaid plan? In these economic times, $25 a month on Virgin Mobile sounds a whole lot better to the wallet!

Dunno what part of Southern California you're in. But in the bulk of San Diego, iPhones run the roost. It got worse when Verizon picked them up.

I tried the iPhone 4. Couldn't stand it. The build quality was top notch, but iOS is way too limiting and restricting. It felt claustrophobic. Everything is clunky - way too many clicks to enable and disable WiFi, for example. The simplicity and sheer flexibility of Android just works for me.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
Strange, in Oklahoma, most people don't use an iPhone, BB or Android. The most popular choice at the moment is two tin cans and a bit of string.

henchman

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
iPhones are more popular in Southern CA because people there are very vain. .

Vain? Why vain?
Because we don't want be as wide as we are tall?
I've seen people in other parts of America, and it isn't pretty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.