1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

iOS Continues to Hold Significant Lead over Android in Developer Interest

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 7, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Flurry Analytics today released a new report highlighting developer interest in iOS and Android as measured by downloads of Flurry's tools for integrating analytics into apps. With a new high of over 18,000 SDK downloads by developers during the first quarter of 2012, Flurry found that iOS continues to hold a substantial lead over Android with 69% of those downloads being for iOS.
    [​IMG]

Flurry points to Apple's dominance in the tablet market as one significant driver of its popularity with developers, with Flurry's numbers showing that the iPad accounted for 88% of all user sessions on tablets during the first five months of 2012. Samsung's Galaxy Tab placed second with just 9% of the market with Amazon's Kindle Fire representing 3%.

Flurry also offers data on fragmentation within the Android ecosystem, illustrating how both multitude of devices and operating system versions leads to developers having to design their apps to be compatible with an increasingly complex variety of user setups.

Looking at revenue generation, Flurry calculates that for every dollar of revenue per active user generated on iOS, a developer can only expect to earn 24 cents on Android, demonstrating the main reason why developers continue to choose iOS as their first priority for app development.
    Flurry's report comes as TechCrunch reminds readers of Google Chairman Eric Schmidt's claim from December stating that within six months most developers would choose to develop for Android as their first priority. With six months having passed and developers clearly still choosing iOS first, TechCrunch reaches a similar conclusion that fragmentation, particularly on the operating system side, has been a major contribution to Android app development falling short of Schmidt's predictions.

Most notably, seven months after the launch of Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, Google's own data reveals that only 7.1% of Android phones are running the latest operating system, a number in line with that observed by Flurry. In contrast, iOS 5 is reported to be installed on 75-80% of active devices as measured from a sample of downloads from the popular Audiobooks application.

Article Link: iOS Continues to Hold Significant Lead over Android in Developer Interest

2. macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Makes sense.

iPhones aren't given away from carriers so the people that use iPhones and iPads are likely to support third party developers

3. macrumors 68040

Mad Mac Maniac

I just feel this is worth repeating.

4. macrumors 68040

tigres

In the long run, it does appear that the sandbox at apple has nicer children to play with.

5. macrumors 68000

deannnnn

It comes down to would you rather develop for one screen size or for 20?

6. macrumors regular

Widashy

It's a no brainer.
    Less fragmentation = less work for a developer.

7. macrumors 68020

iapplelove

Not a shocker..iOS is pretty rock solid

8. macrumors 65816

I'm working on my first game, and I'll be doing it for iOS and android. Well, because I'm using Unity 3d. And I picked up the iOS and android SDK for free in an easter promotion. I prefer iOS for multiple reasons. E.g the fact that most users are willing to pay, and your app wont be posted on 4shared to a bunch of cheapskates(the jail breaking iOS users mainly want customization. Very few baddies to it to pirate). And a few over reasons

9. macrumors 603

troop231

I doubt ill ever develop for Android.

10. Mad-B-One, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012

macrumors 6502a

Mad-B-One

Reading about all the news of the new upcoming iPhone...

...and the controversy about having a longer screen, how many different screen sizes are out there for Android phones, not even talking about the fragmentation of OS versions. Most of the time, you have to wait for a customized Android version for your particular phone anyways if what I read is correct. If the manufacturer then decides the phone is too old, there is no update coming ever...

It's probably safe to say that the iOS can handle 2 different iPad screen sizes, 3 iPhone screen sizes, and that's it for now (except the non-Touch iPods). On that note, if the screen for the new phone is just longer, it would be easy to have the multitask-bar open at all times for apps which don't use the longer screen - which I would love to have as option for all kinds of apps. Just an example: On my work desk, I have the Apple iPhone stand. I usually have a weather App like "Weather+" or other widget like "Living Earth" running which prohibit the screen to go on save mode while charging. It would be ideal to have the Mail and Calls App down there so I see if I missed something while being gone from the desk a minute. What do you all think?

11. macrumors regular

jasonxneo

might increase even more with ios 6 in the making :)

12. macrumors 603

marksman

It is insane that only 10% of android users will have ics when the next major release comes out. Apple probably did that in twelve hours.

13. macrumors 6502

Whenever I read an Eric Schmidt claim, I have the same reaction as I do to one from DigiTimes.

14. macrumors 6502a

Yes they are.

15. macrumors member

Not to sound negative but is macrumors and 9to5 associated. It seems that after the article is posted it shows up on here minutes later?

16. macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I'm not talking about a $0 after contract deal. I'm talking about a BOGO. I've never seen the iPhone offered in a "Buy One Get One" free deal.

17. macrumors member

Not quite. Yes, they cost $99/$199/$299, but even at $99, most people will take the $1 Android because it's cheapest. Consumers, not technologists, buy on price, and that's why Android is considered to be the whore.

Now, personally, programming on Java is far, far more simpler. I wish the iPhone was as simple as Java...and could be done on a PC. I recently gave up my Macbook for a Samsung Series 7 17". I wasn't an iPhone developer, but now I won't ever be.

The other thing to mention is something that I read a long time ago: those who buy iPhones typically have more money to spend on applications than those that buy Androids. (That used to be true, but with the $99 iPhone 3GS, I want to say that it's less true today.)

18. macrumors 68020

Google is the new Microsoft and Apple is the... New Apple:cool:

19. macrumors 68020

bbeagle

I've never understood BOGO. If I only need ONE phone, it actually DISCOURAGES me from the offer. Because, I can't just take the 2nd phone for free with no-strings-attached. I need to use that phone on another line. If I could use it as a backup phone in case mine died, okay - but I've never seen it offered that way.

Whenever I see a $99 phone on a BOGO, I ask - well, why can't I have just ONE phone for $49?

20. macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

If it is $0 after contract it is cheaper than BOGO. The BOGO is 2 contracts and you more or less get 2 phones at 50%

$0 is still less than 50% some other number

21. macrumors 68040

faroZ06

This makes Mac OS valuable for programming (if it wasn't already with great tools like Xcode).

iOS programming is very lucrative.

22. macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

It's great for padding numbers which is exactly what Google wants. People then take the phones and pass them down to a family member that has a crappier phone.

Then they trot out an escalating amount of phone activations yet even now the activations aren't delivering real world results because when you jam the market with phones many of which people got for free, you're not going to see a great amount of uptake in app purchases as a developer.

23. macrumors 6502

The adoption rate for new versions of Android is quite sad and would seem to hurt the platform. Only 7% of their base is able to take advantage of any new features in the latest OS? As a developer, doesn't this affect your choice in using those new features (as you'd be missing a large portion of the devices out there)? That seems to suck for both the developers and the users.

24. macrumors 65816

And it is not just screen size. There are different CPU and GPU families in multiple combinations. You need significant numbers of devices to ensure reasonable compatibility.

Plus many people buy the low end phones and expect them to be able to run the apps smoothly.

25. macrumors 68040

Mad Mac Maniac

Because historically more people developed for the Mac than for windows?? :confused: