Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

It's no surprise that Apple's iOS devices are popular holiday gifts, and as one gauge of the popularity of those devices, many turn to information from App Store developers. Business Insider has done just that, checking in with Facebook and Disney-owned Tapulous to discover that both firms have seen significant spikes in user activity coinciding with the holidays.

135851-facebook_active_users.jpg

Facebook, which offers an application formatted for the iPhone and iPod touch but not iPad, has seen a spike of 1.6 million "active" iOS users over the last three days.
Facebook's iPhone app currently has 57.3 million "monthly active users," meaning the number of people who have used the app in the last month. That's up 1.6 million since the morning of Dec. 24, when we checked and it had 55.7 million monthly active users.
Interestingly, Facebook's Android application has seen no specific Christmas spike, despite solid ongoing growth that has seen it approach 21 million users active over the past month. As speculated by Daring Fireball's John Gruber, the difference between the platforms is likely due to the existence of the iPod touch, which as a contract-free device is a more popular holiday gift than smartphones. Evidence of that difference between the iPod touch and iPhone was seen in last year's holiday season.

On a similar note, Tapulous, the firm behind the popular Tap Tap Revenge games and which was acquired by Disney earlier this year, has seen a tremendous increase in app downloads this holiday season compared to last year.
Tapulous tells us that peak Christmas downloads reached 45,000 per hour, and that holiday download traffic is twice the levels of last year.
Tapulous has been riding the momentum of Tap Tap Revenge 4, which debuted in the App Store just before Christmas as a free application with a number of in app purchasing options featuring additional tracks and avatars.

Article Link: iOS Developers See Christmas Surge in Downloads and Activity

iBryton

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2010
Wow Apple is really making crazy money and they're going to take over the world.

BTW 1st. :)

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Bring out a Facebook App for iPad! Im tired of workarounds to get the full experience working on iPad.

Last edited:

nostaws

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2006
I received $40 is itunes gift cards for the holidays. So, no surprise here. I tend to buy apps for my iPhone more than music.

However, personally, I don't own an iPad, and plan on buying ver. 2. I am holding my gift cards till then.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Tap Tap Revenge 4?

Sorry lol I mean the Facebook App. If you go on Facebook on Safari, the chat doesnt work, if you use a 3rd party browser its buggy to use the chat, I hate using the stretched Facebook app, and if im using it in safari, I have having to switch to IM+ to use Facebook Chat.

Make a dedicated Facebook App for iPad please!

rcmorgan540

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2009
And ...

Not to mention, a lot of the developers such as EA are heavily discounting apps right now. I bought 10+ games that I would not buy at $10+ , but at .99 ... bring it on.

HyperX13

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
So it's all the Apple users that update their facebook status when in bathroom! That explains it!

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Like many other people, I gave my Dad a $50 gift card. I wonder if all the gift cards will reduce the January revenue since I imagine the recognize the money when the gift card is purchased.

south8212

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2008
Funny how they can see the number of downloads even though iTunes connect has been closed since before christmas eve until the 29th. Special access?

ChriswilliamsUk

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
Uk
Funny how they can see the number of downloads even though iTunes connect has been closed since before christmas eve until the 29th. Special access?

if you read the article, its the number of users using facebook through ios devices, they can track number of people on facebook as opposed to using android the net or anything else, hence why when u post something on facebook it says X has posted this via iphone etc

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
Seems to make sense. Thing is you have to count all devices that are using iOS not just the phones. Having 3 hardware pools with millions of users kind of helps.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC

1) Facebook has their own analytics on how many people are using their application (go to Facebook.com/iPhone and you will see exactly how many people use Facebook for iPhone )

2) there are 3rd party analytics companies like Flurry.

(Facebook)
Users:
57,307,562 monthly active users,
105 friends

duaneu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Bellevue, WA
Like many other people, I gave my Dad a $50 gift card. I wonder if all the gift cards will reduce the January revenue since I imagine the recognize the money when the gift card is purchased.

Generally, gift card sales are not counted toward holiday sales figures. The sales are recorded when the cards are redeemed.

south8212

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2008
if you read the article, its the number of users using facebook through ios devices, they can track number of people on facebook as opposed to using android the net or anything else, hence why when u post something on facebook it says X has posted this via iphone etc

1) Facebook has their own analytics on how many people are using their application (go to Facebook.com/iPhone and you will see exactly how many people use Facebook for iPhone )

2) there are 3rd party analytics companies like Flurry.

(Facebook)
Users:
57,307,562 monthly active users,
105 friends

Actually, I was referring to Tapulous talking about their number of downloads. How could they know that?

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
i was going to get an itunes gift card as a gift this year. then the kid got an xbox and i got him 2 xbox games. one from me and one from his parents.

a 10 year old was very happy a few days ago when he ripped off the wrapping paper and saw Assasin's Creed 2 in there

tuneman07

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2007
I'm wondering when the new mac pro will come out- will it have 24 cores? i want to be able to play world of warcraft and get at least 20 -25 FPS would be ideal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.