iOS emulator

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by regdude, Apr 29, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi!
    Not sure if this goes under this section, but does not go anywhere else.
    So the thing is that I want to test some certain things under iOS before buying one, so I would like to ran an emulator and check how everything works.
    So my question is, is there such an emulator that would allow me to emulate iOS?

2. macrumors 68000

There is an iPhone and iPad emulator included with Xcode

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

It doesn't seem to include those default apps (like Safari, contacts, calendar etc). Is there a way to get a complete interface not just the application interface?

4. macrumors 68000

Mine shows Safari, Contacts, but I don't see Calendar. Just swipe over to the left and all the regular icons show up.

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

It seems that iOS Simulator does not include calendar and other applications.
    So probably I won't be able to test out contact and calendar sync with iCloud.

6. macrumors 68000

There is no support for iCloud in the simulator from what I have read.

7. macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Just buy one. If it doesn't work as well as you'd like, return it for a full refund.

8. macrumors 603

There is no iOS emulator (outside of maybe Apple's secret labs).

An iOS Simulator comes with the Xcode SDK, but this Simulator only runs x86 code, not the ARM code that real iOS apps use. The Simulator also only comes with a few built-in apps, which are not completely functional (for instance, no GPS, no accelerometer, no iCloud, and etc.) It cannot download or run apps from the iOS App Store.

The only thing close to emulating an iPhone is an actual iPhone. Maybe borrow one. Or buy an old used one and resell it when done.