iOS Gameplay Capture Platform Kamcord Secures Over $1 Million in Funding, Announces Community Features

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 22, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

iOS gameplay capture platform Kamcord has announced it has secured over $1 million in funding and is introducing new features for users such as a community website to browse videos on the service and a new UI for developers allowing them to upload playlists and share videos, reports 9to5Mac. Other new features such as likes, comments, and user profiles on the service's website will begin to roll out in the coming weeks.

With its additional $1 million in funding, Kamcord now has total seed funding of $2.5 million, with investors such as Google Ventures, Y Combinator, and Merus Capital. The service currently supports over 70 games and offers its SDKs for free on its downloads page.

Article Link: iOS Gameplay Capture Platform Kamcord Secures Over $1 Million in Funding, Announces Community Features
  2. macrumors 603

Sep 19, 2003
    I feel like this is doomed to be sherlocked, like OpenFeint.
  3. macrumors 68000

May 10, 2005
    Shropshire, UK
    I'm curious - with the sandboxed nature of iOS, especially for 3rd party apps, how does an app like this even work? Or does it require a jailbroken device?
  4. macrumors member

Sep 5, 2009
    it only works with games that include their framework
  5. macrumors newbie

Aug 22, 2013
    Clarifying the confusion

Last I heard, they were live in over 115 games. Kamcord is an SDK. So developers integrate the SDK into their game which allows users to share the gameplay that's recorded.
  6. macrumors member

Mar 30, 2011
    $2.5 million

I could think of better things to do with $2.5 million :)
  7. macrumors regular

Dec 12, 2009
    Like develop a good gameplay capture software for OSX :)
  8. macrumors 6502

Jul 21, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I guess I'm either confused or late to the game. Besides commercial uses ("Here's a walk through of how to beat King Koopa") what is the point of recording yourself playing a video game?