Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tar Sniffer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2012
According to all the rumours circulating around, the gloss effect will be removed in iOS 7. It is therefore likely that Apple will officially get rid of the gloss layer that is applied to all iOS app icons on Monday.

Do you think it's possible that Apple could release an iOS 6 update to iPhone and iPad that removes the effect, or is it something that will slowly be introduced when developers update their apps?

I know that I'm discussing iOS 6, but since it's related to WWDC and iOS 7 I'm convinced this is the right section.

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
According to all the rumours circulating around, the gloss effect will be removed in iOS 7. It is therefore likely that Apple will officially get rid of the gloss layer that is applied to all iOS app icons on Monday.

Do you think it's possible that Apple could release an iOS 6 update to iPhone and iPad that removes the effect, or is it something that will slowly be introduced when developers update their apps?

I know that I'm discussing iOS 6, but since it's related to WWDC and iOS 7 I'm convinced this is the right section.

No, iOS 6 introduced the gloss, and there won't be anymore iOS 6.1.x updates either, 6.1.3 and 6.1.4 on iPhone 5 are the final versions, there aren't any major bugs to be patched, so therefore iOS 7 will roll out and remove the glossiness.

Tar Sniffer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2012
Im strictly talking about the gloss on iOS app icons. From what I understand, this effect is implemented when an icon is uploaded on the iOS Dev Centre.

iOS-icons-layers_wm-1024x376.jpeg

I'm only asking because if what I stated is correct, than the removal of the gloss layer in the Dev Centre will mean gloss free icons could start emerging as of Monday.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
I think you're right about the gloss being removed, but I don't think Apple is going to make any developers remove it. I'm pretty sure devs just copied Apple's effect to make it look nice with the rest of the iOS.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
I'd imagine devs will start updating any glossy app icons to get rid of glass.

Most app icons ditched the gloss ages ago. Hell, the only third-party app I have that has a glossy icon is WhatsApp.

Every single other app on my iPhone, sans stock Apple apps, has no gloss layer. It's really passé now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.