Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Urban Joe

Suspended
Mar 19, 2012
iOS in the car needs to be just that....or iOS for while driving
I would like to see an optimized UI / voice control layer for existing Apple hardware that activates when you get in your car. When Apple releases a larger iPhone it would be great and perfect for the ipad mini. A fancy built in screen would be nice but...

I don't really see why we have to have elaborate built in hardware...that seems redundant and complicated. Just needs a set of specs to enable advanced integration and control of radio/controls. Is Apple really contemplating creating a world of Mac and Android cars? I hope not.

rsocal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
Southern Ca
This is how!

I'll expound a bit on my previous post to make this clear what iOS in the Car is:

The whole goal here is to let the phone export video to the head unit and accept touch input from it. Nothing more. By keeping the software on the phone itself, it reduces problems in the long run. This isn't new technology.

AppRadio, MirrorLink, iOS in the Car. They are all really the same thing in the end. Just different implementations of the same idea. If a head unit supports both MirrorLink and iOS in the Car, they cover both Android devices and iOS. You already see Pioneer units that support both their AppRadio system for iOS/Android and MirrorLink for Android units.

And this won't replace existing inputs in head units either. It is just another 'mode' the head unit can be in.

If Apple were to make a actual head unit, that you could buy to put in an existing car, just like an aftermarket head unit that people do everyday. I'm sure an Apple head unit would be incredible, and would be a great option for people who are upgrading/updating an existing car. Example I build street rods in my collision shop and my existing 1931 Ford has a Pioneer head unit that is compatible with iPhone's/iPod's/iPad's but limited. So what I hope to see, is software that car manufactures & aftermarket car audio company's can develop that is much more intergrated with our mobile device's. I think utilizing a touch screen in dash that will either plug or Bluetooth your iPhone/Etc, into the touch screen head unit.

I myself want to come up with an App that could control your entire car, right down to displaying engine vitals from sensors with Bluetooth and a plug in option. With the GPS speedo Apps (that are very accurate) the possibilities of simulated instruments on the screen of an iPad Air or iPad Mini are endless!
With the custom car world this would be one of the coolest new ways to have interment panels with a docking setup that would make an installed iPad/Etc. look as if it was built in. This could also be another anti theft security. Passwords or complete removal from the car dock.

I think car manufactures/aftermarket audio Co.'s will be doing just that, an option on the existing car head unit touch screen that would act as the iDevice or Android when connected.

Sorry for going off the path here. I just want a head unit or control unit that I can put in my 31 Ford Street Rod that my iPhone/iPad can plug into with deep iOS integration, not just for music.:apple::cool:

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Hated mounting my iPhone on the dash of my car, it would always fall inconveniently and then hit my windshield wipers. I swear I have bought 3-4 different types of holders and all irk me. This will be a sweet integration, Tesla's large screen display may be now match though. There car kills it (in a good way).

Great mount recommendation: iOttie One Touch (link). This thing is solid, even on the crappy dried up and cracked dashboard of my ancient POS car. The only times it ever falls off is when I leave my car in the sun on the hottest days of the year (around 105F). But I just stick it back on when I get back in the car and it stays on fine. What's great is how easy it is to pop on and remove. It has a little button on the back that clamps onto the phone when you put it in, and then you just pinch the sides when you want to grab it and go. When you tighten down the screws and clamps to get it in the desired position it is quite sturdy and don't have to mess with it again. It's only $20 too. I recently bought another for my wife's car.

As for Tesla, I wish I could afford a Model X! I'll have to settle with Subaru. After driving the same compact car since high school (it won't freaking die!), I'm just about ready for a smaller SUV. Something I can drive in over a foot of snow, or feel like I won't be killed on the highway with all the big trucks running me off the road.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
If Apple were to make a actual head unit, that you could buy to put in an existing car, just like an aftermarket head unit that people do everyday. I'm sure an Apple head unit would be incredible, and would be a great option for people who are upgrading/updating an existing car. Example I build street rods in my collision shop and my existing 1931 Ford has a Pioneer head unit that is compatible with iPhone's/iPod's/iPad's but limited. So what I hope to see, is software that car manufactures & aftermarket car audio company's can develop that is much more intergrated with our mobile device's. I think utilizing a touch screen in dash that will either plug or Bluetooth your iPhone/Etc, into the touch screen head unit.

That is pretty much MirrorLink/AppRadio/iOS in the Car. By letting the smartphone take over the display, and with an API for 3rd party apps which I think Apple will do in the version of iOS after this feature launches, you have pretty much whatever you need from your phone in your dash.

Apple has a good shot here if they don't screw it up to do a lot of good things, but I'm not convinced they have to release hardware to do it. Kenwood integrates Siri Eyes Free in an aftermarket solution, for example. It'd be interesting if Pioneer's AppRadio becomes a MirrorLink / iOS in the Car box. It'd be an affordable way to get this feature aftermarket.

I'm very interested to see if they pull it off, but they need to have a framework for 3rd party apps to play, and they need to get an aftermarket partner in addition to the OEMs. The first part seems like a given. They are obviously using a private framework, which they can polish and make public. The latter is where I'm not sure how well it would work out. Good opportunities, but will they capitalize on them?

rsocal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
Southern Ca
That is pretty much MirrorLink/AppRadio/iOS in the Car. By letting the smartphone take over the display, and with an API for 3rd party apps which I think Apple will do in the version of iOS after this feature launches, you have pretty much whatever you need from your phone in your dash.

Apple has a good shot here if they don't screw it up to do a lot of good things, but I'm not convinced they have to release hardware to do it. Kenwood integrates Siri Eyes Free in an aftermarket solution, for example. It'd be interesting if Pioneer's AppRadio becomes a MirrorLink / iOS in the Car box. It'd be an affordable way to get this feature aftermarket.

I'm very interested to see if they pull it off, but they need to have a framework for 3rd party apps to play, and they need to get an aftermarket partner in addition to the OEMs. The first part seems like a given. They are obviously using a private framework, which they can polish and make public. The latter is where I'm not sure how well it would work out. Good opportunities, but will they capitalize on them?[/

I agree....

jlabute

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2014
audio & nav

I am surprised not to see anything yet. OEM nav and audio adds a large price tag to a vehicle. After market car audio systems are much much more than just a processor with iTunes and maps... But have a CAN bus interface to other vehicle electronics, power amps and more. Apple would have a big learning curve to get in to this market. But it would likely be prettier than what is currently available. Pioneer, JVC, clarion can whip out new models quickly... Nav has been conquered by all but apple so far? Not sure what the problem is.... But I'd like to see an after market apple nav. Apple maps wouldn't likely be part of a new product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.