Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
Hi guys,

Maybe someone can educate me more on how this works but...how do I get this working for my car. Anyone with a GM car (Chev, Buick, Caddy) have experience?

Thanks.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Hi guys,

Maybe someone can educate me more on how this works but...how do I get this working for my car. Anyone with a GM car (Chev, Buick, Caddy) have experience?

Thanks.

In iOS 6 Apple introduced Siri Eyes-Free. This was a partnership with some Car makers that added a Siri "button" to the steering wheel in which you could activate Siri without touching your phone.

In iOS 7 Apple introduced iOS in the Car. This is supposed to push some of your iOS screens to a car's display (if the car maker is participating). More info below.

http://www.imore.com/ios-in-the-car

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Hi guys,

Thanks.

From Apple's website:

"iOS in the Car seamlessly integrates your iOS device — and the iOS experience — with your in-dash system. If your vehicle is equipped with iOS in the Car, you can connect your iPhone 5 or later and interact with it using the car’s built-in display and controls or Siri Eyes Free. Now you can easily and safely make phone calls, access your music, send and receive messages, get directions, and more. It’s all designed to let iPhone focus on what you need, so you can focus on the road."

It must be built in to your car - if it doesn't already have it, you can't get it. As of now, I don't think they've announced what cars will be getting it - but it will be on new cars not yet released.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Chevy has info on their 2014 Sonic now, which was one of the first cars to get Siri Eyes Free, and it doesn't say anything about iOS in the Car. So it probably won't come out until next year.

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
Hi guys,

Thanks.

You dont get this working without buying certian new cars that are not yet avalable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.