Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Yay! Let's dumb everything down even more! WTF has happened to apple... They used to have excellent products.

iCloud as a whole is somewhat useless, but especially with photos and videos. I posted this before, but I will repost it.

Do you understand how large photos are? My low end DSLR makes files that are about 15MB a piece. Some of the high end models such as the Nikon D800 make photos up to 75MB. Lets use my camera for example. I typically take about 250-400 shots per shoot. Assuming each file is around 15MB, that would mean I have between 3.7 and 6 GB of data. Like most in the US, I also have low upload bandwidth. To be exact, I get about 1.5megaBITs up, or 192 kilobytes per second. At that rate, it would take over five and a half hours just to upload 250 shots to iCloud. If I had a nice D800, it would take 27 hours to upload those shots on my connection. Also note that on one vacation, in which I toured Europe, I took over 2000 photos. Do you see how ridiculous it would be to actually use iCloud? It is not a viable option.

I don't think iCloud was meant for professionals. You may want to look somewhere else for that kind of usage. But for the rest of us no pro we are enjoying its benefits. :rolleyes:

----------

If you can afford to own a DSLR and trips to Europe, then just spring for the faster internet connection. Or you can use ipad's 4g connection and that is much faster than 1.5Mbps.

First and foremost I can't get a faster connection. Remember, we are talking about upload bandwidth here, not downloads. Also, I would go way over any caps imposed on a 4G iPad. Remember, one shoot will net me 3.7-6 GB of data...[/QUOTE]

Oh boy so how can Apple make it up to you. :rolleyes:

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
Get real! Very, very few people have 15MB images, my friend.

And my Comcast (read mainstream) internet connection gives me 5Mbps upload speeds. The only thing ridiculous here is your logic.

1. Look at the amazon camera best seller list. I think saying very very few is quite an understatement. The up to 75MB per file D800 is even one of the top selling cameras.
http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-camera-photo/zgbs/photo
2. Comcast typically has their nonsense powerboost quoted. That won't help you with large file transfers. I would guess after the boost you get 1-2mbps.

kristielucas

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2012
Go to File -> Import -> Show iPhoto Browser. You’ll be presented with a dialog box that displays your iPhoto Library. Navigate to the images from your Photo Stream that you want in your working environment.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.