Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Fail

Personally I think if all Apple tries to simply shrink the iOS experience on their iWatch, it will fail. I doubt they will offer anything near what we have already seen on iPhone or iPad, or the iPod Nano.

People seem to think that a Smart Watch is just a small tablet, this is flawed in so many ways. The same kinds of interfaces that thrive on larger screens cannot be the default interface on a small screen, especially if it is not square or rectangular.

Google has the right approach with Android Wear, the watch is aware of the context of what you are doing and so shows the most relevant information for that context. A few sweeps up or down or side to side exposes more information, but most importantly Android Wear is not just a grid of icons to other apps you have to manually launch but something that is always relevant to what you are doing. If Apple were smart, you will never have to launch an app on your watch.

Also make a Smart watch screen too big, and its just going to look cheap and juvenile. Watches are about design, otherwise we would all wear Casio calculator watches. Throwing something 1/4 the size of a phone on your wrist will also make the genre fail.

Hopefully Apple is not as naive as this fanboi designer, but then again...

Derekeys

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
My issue with this "mock up" is more basic. I believe we have the ability to imagine what a 2.5" iOS interface would look like and imagine it better than this silly picture.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
You're completely missing the point.

2.5 inches. It's the first time we've heard anything close to this large. So here's an image of a 2.5-inch "slightly rectangular" screen showing an Apple-like interface on a wrist.

And here's an idea of what Apple could do with an iOS-like interface if it had 2.5 inches to work with.

That's it.

I understand the size part, 2.5" is pretty large for a wrist and the Galaxy Gear is only 1.5."

I just don't think tape and inkjet print outs was the way to go about informing people.

Maybe it's just the old journalist in me.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
are you guys serious with this post? even Buzzfeed would be embarrassed

i just started to laugh out loud from the kitchen and a friend asked me what happened

im gonna save this picture for future references

Last edited:

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Wow!

Now that is the iPhone I want! Finally, a mockup worthy of Apple's design standards.

Seriously, for a while I assumed this was some kind of parody that I just wasn't getting.

ibbumpin

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2013
Great...

Great now Samsung is going to come out with a tape watch... Samsung Galaxy Gear Tape Mega 2(all different fonts) - brought to you by Carls Jr

Last edited:

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2012
So basically the 'iwatch' is a ipod nano 6th generation with a 1000% price hike and a watch accessory.

51xNFyfHyjL._SL1500_.jpg

Slippery Gimp

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2008
Leeds, UK
Forum member William Drayton has come up with his intriguing idea for an iWatch mock up. Whilst a bit rough round the the edges, it shows real promise.

Jony Ive called it, "Unapologetically massive".

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 83

just.in.time

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2010
Arizona, USA
Really???

I almost never log in (literally forgot my password and had to do a reset just so I could comment)... but for this special moment I had to...

This is absolutely terrible. The editor says it is just in reply to the first 2.5 inch claim that was made an hour ago. Sometimes, its better to wait for a decent mockup than to try to be first at reporting something.

WorldTravelBro

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2012
Lol thank you I really needed the laugh. Its nice to see mac rumors can sometimes put comedy on the front page! :)

macs4nw

macrumors 601
I just laughed out loud in the tram when I saw the first mockup. Now everyone is looking at me. Thanks for that

That's funny. I'm thinking somewhere deep down in Apple's secret design labs, Tim and Jony are also laughing uncontrollably, at our feeble attempts to second-guess them…….hahahahahahahahahahahahaha…………at least I hope so, cause the various mock-ups I've seen so far, don't inspire me a whole lot…..

Going purely by past experience, we'll probably be blown away, and sooner rather than later, wonder how we got by for so long without the 'iWatch'.

Now if only there was some master showman to introduce it to us at launch.…..

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
That can't be it. I'm calling fake. The icons are the old ones.

You never know. We keep hearing about flexible displays, flexible batteries...

Never thought about it being disposable! When it gets all sweaty and icky you just throw it away.

(That picture is going to go viral! :)

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
I thought for sure you guys were doing a "we know all the mockups/pictures are funny" prank post. Kept reading till I realized nope, it really is a post about a man putting packing tape around his arm and calling it news.

I guess that it was too hard to read that it's "depicted on a Hypothetical" part of the message. It looks like very few readers have any imagination on how this might look once Ive's touched it.

Personally, I don't care how shinny it is, if it takes a wrist pulse and displays it, I'll buy it. There's nothing I hate more than a chest strap while jogging or working out. So far, nothing on the market other than a chest strap has worked for me.

nathun

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2014
I for one, love it! The villagers are getting angry, they demand their speculation in a polished form. :rolleyes:

frisken

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2013
If the iWatch has a flat, square display I'm going to kill myself. The morons who design these "mock-ups" are completely stuck in the past, too considerate of what previous manufacturers have released and dubbed "smartwatches" to actually realise the potential behind this device for Apple.

To replicate what we already have on the iPhone is going to make this device a complete flop. Apple know that. I know that. 99% of everyone on MacRumors knows that.

As Apple have already alluded to, the iWatch should be more inclined to a health/fitness tracker (think Misfit Shine, Fitbit Flex) than an actual watch. But that's not to say that it won't tell the time, provide notifications or be worn on the wrist.

Circular, natural, fluid, invisible. These words will be in mind when Apple are tackling a wearable device. Apple have never been about taking what they already have and pushing it into a new market. The iWatch will be designed from the ground up, for a very unique and specific purpose: To connect you. Not to be a phone on your wrist.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
You're completely missing the point.

2.5 inches. It's the first time we've heard anything close to this large. So here's an image of a 2.5-inch "slightly rectangular" screen showing an Apple-like interface on a wrist.

And here's an idea of what Apple could do with an iOS-like interface if it had 2.5 inches to work with.

That's it.

The point of at least some of the reaction I think is less to the cardboard and cellophane tape mockup, but to MR not being very discriminating about the types of concepts that we are apparently supposed to take seriously. A good many of the glossier and more expertly rendered concepts are equally implausible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.