Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
but the fear is that ONLY apple approved app's can be installed in the future , a very small step away of getting told what you are allowed to install on your Mac and what not , which would actually be a good thing , finally a way for authorities to control what every Mac user is doing on their Mac , its only a small step away , think of it the next step is that app's can only be installed via the app store and by no other means
it then comes down to local laws , when you get a message
"sorry this app is not allowed to be installed in your country "

like you get already these messages when just watching youtube when you cant listen music in a video there because of copyright issues in certain countries ,
so some countries could do the same with the app store ..limit access to certain apps

It's not the country that limits access its the copyright holder. The only apps I've seen locked out are the regional gps apps probable due maps license.

doshirj

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2010
Lion

I don't think Apple will ever lock down Macs to the same degree as iOS devices. I do think that the App Store will become the de facto means of acquiring apps for users. Thus, comercial apps that are ineligible for the App Store will begin to suffer (open source and freeware apps should still be ok).

Joseph Meltzer

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2008
There is NO WAY that the Mac OS will be 'closed in' like iPhone OS. People will not want a new version of an OS that can't do what the previous version could, even if it does look cooler.

If the App Store becomes the only means of getting applications, then how are frameworks such as Adobe Flash and other things Apple doesn't approve of supposed to survive? No more Photoshop? No more Carbon C++ applications?

Anyway, if the operating system is to be closed in, then the Finder will disappear. Well, not completely, but you won't have any sophisticated info and access to all folders. Also, we won't be able to get 'potentially law-breaking' apps such as BitTorrent clients and other similar programs.

Denarius

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
Gironde, France
I don't usually whine but here goes:
I think that Steve is steadily turning Macs from tools to toys. The app store on the Mac is one step in my opinion to take away the ability to develop your own tools. This might be a stretch, but think about how locked down the iPhone and iPad are. It won't be long until the Mac is on lockdown too. The terminal is on the endangered list in my opinion.

I definitely agree with this sentiment. The rot started to set in in my view when the MacBook Pro lost the ExpressCard for all but the most expensive model with the largest screen. Even there it was an extra option. ExpressCard is often useful in a pro environment (I use a MOTU video capture system that requires ExpressCard) so upgrading my MacBook pro is not desirable as I have no wish to pay the extra for the larger screen. Seeing as MS seem to have got their act together of late, I suspect I'll be, regrettably, migrating to PC when my MBP 3,1 reaches the end of its useful life. But I guess Apple must have already considered the ramifications when they made the decision so there's really no point moaning. Microsoft here I come (unless Adobe fancy making a Red Hat version of Premiere maybe?).

It's no surprise that the philosophy is filtering into the OS: Just more gimmicks and more attempts to use your own machine to sell you more stuff through a machine you've already paid a premium for.

Last edited:

intervenient

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
What I'm not getting is so many of you saying that Apple is losing the "hardcore" or the "true fans". When has Apple been anything more than a money maker? I can't think of any time during Apple's history that it hasn't tried to appeal to a mass market, or charge a premium for their products by exchanging the latest and greatest chipsets and processors for things like build quality. I, for one, do not believe that Lion is testing the waters for a full-on walled garden, one stop shopping for apps. When people suggest that it is, I can't help but feel that someone took their stupid pills that morning. It's an insane idea that Apple would take away so many ubiquitous Mac features and make iOS ones take over. The App Store is a simple way to get more applications in the hands of consumers. And lets face it, if it's anything like the iOS app store, they might as well call it "Steam for Mac by Apple", because we all know that your hardcore productivity and business apps won't make it on the store.

That said, I would definitely jump ship if OS 11 was anything like these horror stories describe. I think Windows is at the point where it's use about equal to OS X in terms of simplicity and security, and laptop manufacturers are actually starting to take a pages from Apple on the design front.

Blakeasd

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009
Mac OS X will probably never be on "lock-down". Macs create IOS and Mac apps, so it has to have terminal and other non-app store apps for developers to use. Unless Steve Jobs wants Mac and IOS development to be done on Windows there is no reason to worry.

flipster

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
Boston
I was actually thinking like the same thing haha. I for some reason feel like, there going mobile. I can't really explain it, but I feel like they directed all of their attention towards there mobile line (ex. iphone, ipad). They need to start pushing out better graphics cards drivers, and working on Mac OSX a little more, from what it seems.

applemagic123

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2009
I see the progression,
10.7 app store optional
10.8 app store mandatory

Generally speaking I'm very unhappy with the focus and direction of apple is going these days.

Me too. If you notice, most of the software they have come out with AFTER leopard 10.5 has been glitchy, buggy, and/or doesn't use the full advantage of the hardware. A lot of pro users complain about the final cut suite. Something about carbon or something like that.

Apple is losing focus. They used to focus on creating smoothly operating software, but now all they care about are the mobile devices. Sorry but I think I will stick with leopard. I really do not like the whole "launchpad" concept, and I really do not like "mission control" concept either. Sorry, but I think those 2 things are SOOOOOOO stupid!! I like spaces and expose MUCH MUCH more. Mission control looks VERY unorganized and scattered. I don't think I will upgrade to lion ever. And if I do, it will definitely be something that I wait until after the hype is over and all the problems/issues are known.

Apple better get with the program here.

And as per the "mac app store" the concept is okay, but you HAVE to have snow leopard. That cuts out all the millions of people who are still on panther, tiger, or leopard, and definitely all the people with power pc processors. I hate that apple is doing the whole "forcing people to upgrade" crap. I will NOT play their game.

RubbishBBspeed

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
Apple has definitely entered the realm of Profit before Product. (many here will say but that's what business is all about) except I fear Apples current attitude and arrogance will come back with a sting in the tail. Perhaps the successor to Lion will be Black Widow as it kills it's mate. or in apples case kills it's customers and market with over priced under spec unreliable products.

I love my macbook, it works with relentless conviction no matter what abuse I throw at it, I've killed several PC's yet never a mac. OS X is a dream compared to the fiasco that have been various renditions of windows. And even as I write this there is no way I would go back to a windows PC. ack horrible.

With the eventual departing of Mr Jobs hopefully years away and not months I think we will see the demise of Apple. As direction of Apple vision is confused with balance sheet curves, quarterly reports and MBA buzz words as the company inevitably fills up with more and more white collar toffs of established hereditary destined for seven figure salaries, country club memberships and private jets on standby with the champagne on chill.

Certainly a club I and anyone else would love to join but perhaps not with a company like Apple, Apple used to stand for something a bit different but sadly that seems to have become lost in recent years. Not that writing this will change anything

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
people who see this as a terrible future are forgetting onething....
3rd party software. Apple only provides so much them selves (ilife, iwork... Various included apps).

3rd party software for both iphone and mac is created on..... You guessed it...... A mac.

If apple was to "close" the os in the way many people are fearing, that would be the end of the app store. Developers will not develop...... Correct that, developers can not make applications on a platform that does not provide certain low level access.

So think about it, how can apple create this "closed" system and still have a successful 3rd party appstore... They cant.

That is why there will always be a true unix os for us to use. The fun, user friendly (maybe even toy like) ios features will only be a layer ontop of osx.. Additional feature, not replacement features.

+1

JKK photography

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2009
So, to those who have/are using the developer release, do you still feel like it's a stepping stone to a closed OS, where Apple rules everything, where the App Store is the One Store to Rule Them All, and that all of the new ideas that have been taken from iOS and the iPad are ridiculous and fail miserably on the desktop OS that is Mac OS X?

Serious question, because everything that has been said so far (both sides of the issue) has been nothing more than speculation.

/V\acpower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
The claim that OS X will be "locked down" like iOS is absolutely crazy. It wouldn't make any sense from a "usability" standpoint, in the sense that the Mac is more work oriented, the iPad/iPod/iPhone is not. It wouldn't make any sense from a developer community standpoint, for the reason expressed on the first page of the thread (Apps are developped on Macs), and it wouldn't make any sense from an economic standpoint, since such a move would in the end make them lose a lot of costumer.

I mean, there is absolutely no reason why Apple would make such a move.

BerGaur

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2011
Inside my head
The claim that OS X will be "locked down" like iOS is absolutely crazy. It wouldn't make any sense from a "usability" standpoint, in the sense that the Mac is more work oriented, the iPad/iPod/iPhone is not. It wouldn't make any sense from a developer community standpoint, for the reason expressed on the first page of the thread (Apps are developped on Macs), and it wouldn't make any sense from an economic standpoint, since such a move would in the end make them lose a lot of costumer.

I mean, there is absolutely no reason why Apple would make such a move.

Exactly, no speculation there. Here is the quote you are referring to:

Originally Posted by VPrime

That would put an end to any 3rd party support from developers.. With out 3rd party, there is no applications. With out applications there are no customers.

It just isn't logical to close off a system that has to be open for their whole app infrastructure to thrive.

So, even IF Apple "closes" OS X, which is a HUGE if, they WILL have a version for developers and that will make jailbreaking OS X a breeze to do. The fact that anyone wanting to provide a jail break will have the developer's version to use and take code from to make it possible and even work better than the jailbreaks for the iDevices.:apple::):):apple:
Now that this has been looked at under this light. How could "closing" OS X be financially beneficial for Apple. Did you nay-sayers ever consider the FACT that Apple gets input from users like you and I, and uses it for their decisions. There are people who like the iPhone just the way it is, I'm one of them, but there is NOBODY who wants Apple to "close" Mac.
:eek:So, what do you think?:rolleyes: They see %99.998 saying, "Don't close it.", and %0.002 saying, "Close it.", and think, "Hmmm, we will close it, just to screw with everyone...because we are the malicious ass wholes everyone thinks we are." :apple::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::apple::confused:
Consider this, they didn't become the #1 electronics company in the WORLD for no reason. Not to mention that, (I don't know if you noticed) but, Mac's are becoming ever MORE popular and MORE people are buying them. I know, because, not 5 years ago I HATED Apple and Owned a Windows (which started crashing less than a year after buying it) when I decided to give Mac a chance and now I will NEVER go back.
This is NOT speculation, everyone calling the shots in that company would have to go crazy or something to make such a bad decision. :D:D:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.