Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Though most of us use our iOS devices on a daily basis, there are so many hidden tips and features built in that some of them go under the radar. We've been collecting hidden iOS secrets and creating quick videos around them, giving our readers a second look at essential time-saving features that may have been missed.

Our most recent videos cover two handy tips for Photos and Mail, demonstrating features that make it easier to select photos and pause to access the rest of a mailbox when composing an email. Check them out below:

For more of our quick tip videos, how tos, software overviews, and rumor coverage, make sure to subscribe to our YouTube channel.

Have an awesome iPhone trick or tip you think we should cover? Send us an email at Tips@MacRumors.com and we might feature it.

Article Link: Quick iOS Tips: Mass Selecting Photos, Pausing Your Email

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Great way to delete all my duplicate photos from "iCloud Photos" every single time I take any photos.

"Hey let's give people 16GB iPhones, then duplicate every single photo they take by uploading and downloading the pictures over the internet into a different folder! Sounds like a good idea, let's ship it!" - Apple

Reactions: Shirasaki

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
I'm pretty sure a lot of these tips show up in the keynote presentations, often with Craig Federighi demonstrating.
Apple's iOS Tips app has been giving some good advice lately, too!

Great that MR are publishing them as well - evidently catching additional users.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
:eek:All these years I've been canceling an email, but instead saving a draft, going to another message, then re-loading the draft to finish. I've always hated how clunky that was.
This new tip will change my life!
It's also basically new functionality that only came around in the last year or two.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
It is so great we have been given a flat operating system without any clues how to use it, so we get to watch youtube videos instead of just looking at the UI and understand how it works...
But to be fair, as iOS has gained increasing complexity with features many people have been clamoring for, there's only so much an interface that small can do well. I would rather have those features "hidden" than not have them at all. I love the fact that you can drag over multiple photos. Until now, I never knew that was possible, and I'm sure I'll be using that a lot.

Reactions: orbital~debris

bice

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2015
... Until now, I never knew that was possible, and I'm sure I'll be using that a lot.
That was an integral part of the earliest Mac OS, illustrated by the rubber band box. It was immediately clear to users you could select one or many things by that drag. Don't tell me it would have been impossible to make that abundantly clear in ios aswell.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It is so great we have been given a flat operating system without any clues how to use it, so we get to watch youtube videos instead of just looking at the UI and understand how it works...
Flat or not there are often some features that aren't necessrily obvious to everyone.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
This so much.

I was pretty excited about the flat design for about 3 months, basically the whole time just felt fresh and the annoyances I dismissed as transitional.
Turns out the UX still sucks monkey balls, buttons as links without a clear "tappable" design indicator other than typical "link color" got me sick and tired.

Quite honestly, I can't wait for the day flat looks old and the "old style" looks modern again.

Take a look at car designs: in some decades round is where it's at, a bit later on edgy and sharp are what everyone wants.
This comes and goes. I hope this will be similar.

Flat or not there are often some features that aren't necessrily obvious to everyone.
That is absolutely true, however with a flat design you immediately lose a lot of overview about what's going on, what is content, what is a button, what is mere text, etc...

I can basically tell you what's on a screen with peripheral vision looking at iOS 6, with iOS 7 and up I likely couldn't even tell you which app you're in, unless it's something like the Photos app and there's just a big mishmash of colors (thumbnails).

Glassed Silver:mac

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
:eek:All these years I've been canceling an email, but instead saving a draft, going to another message, then re-loading the draft to finish. I've always hated how clunky that was.
This new tip will change my life!

Not that I compose a lot of emails on my iPhone, but I am known to save a message as a draft to reference another email and go back to it. I did know about this at all, but will definitely keep this in mind for next time. Great tip!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.