Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coocooforcocoap

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
kathmandu, nepal
Can this be done?

I dunno what you guys did to ******* your phones up so bad, but I've had a 3g since 2008, I'm running 4.2.1 and it works like the day I got it.

Mine is the same, works great. But now that all the untethered stuff came out today for iOS5.01, I am wondering if there is a snowball's chance of taking this 3g there. Without a restore.ipsw, I don't know how to do? I think another (or the same issue) is with the modem firmware, which is 6.15. Hmmm... is anyone doing this?

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
Mine is the same, works great. But now that all the untethered stuff came out today for iOS5.01, I am wondering if there is a snowball's chance of taking this 3g there. Without a restore.ipsw, I don't know how to do? I think another (or the same issue) is with the modem firmware, which is 6.15. Hmmm... is anyone doing this?

What exactly do you want to do with your phone?

Happy3ger

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2012
ios and3g

yep I'm realizing that I either get a higher grade iphone ( presently happy with 3G) and forget The Cloud....who really needs it? Also i've been running VERY slowly n Ios4 and now plan to go back to 3.3 .....Ahem.....what is DFU?

UselessVoidBobo

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2013
Cainta, Rizal, Philippines.
Fellow 3G user here, the 3G is a piece and Apple has stopped supporting it. Good thing I have a 4S coming on Friday. :D

And to those thinking about upgrading to iOS4, do not do it. It will be the worst mistake of your life and is fairly difficult getting all your info back when you ultimately downgrade back to iOS3.

Yes, you're right. My iPhone 3G is running iOS 4.2.1 and is Jailbroken. Whenever I try to go to App Store, Cydia & iTunes, it loads forever.

somekool

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2007
iphone 3G in 2013 ;(

it's true iOS 4.0 was super crazy slow. but I found that iOS 4.2.1 is working nicely. maybe you need a reboot once in a while, but not that often.

the biggest problems I have, is app vendors which stop supporting 4.2.1 and the itunes stores which can't keep the latest supported version for this release. that sucks.

after clearing up all data to pass it on to my wife. I can't install skype, facebook, google+, endomondo, pretty much nothing.
if the big guys can't support it, it's not only apple's fault.

my iphone is still working very nicely. and I thought my wife would pass it on to my toddler next.

@all_app_developers, please support 4.2.1, even with reduced features.

MrMacMack

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2012
it's true iOS 4.0 was super crazy slow. but I found that iOS 4.2.1 is working nicely. maybe you need a reboot once in a while, but not that often.

the biggest problems I have, is app vendors which stop supporting 4.2.1 and the itunes stores which can't keep the latest supported version for this release. that sucks.

after clearing up all data to pass it on to my wife. I can't install skype, facebook, google+, endomondo, pretty much nothing.
if the big guys can't support it, it's not only apple's fault.

my iphone is still working very nicely. and I thought my wife would pass it on to my toddler next.

@all_app_developers, please support 4.2.1, even with reduced features.

Which iPhone do you have and why don't you update the software?

121mcv

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2014
UK
not the last one

I still have a Iphone 3g - its getting pretty much useless now - I use it more as a ipod now - a big one at that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.