Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is iOS6 a disappointment from what you learned in the keynote?

• It was NOT a disappointment.

Votes: 760 50.9%
  • It was definitely a disappointment.

Votes: 732 49.1%

• Total voters

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Posted this list to my OP where it belongs.

Last edited:

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I think you guys dont understand one thing...

Siri now has new languagues! Consider that for those who dont live in the US.

Plus, a GREAT new feature is adding photos and videos from within apps like safari and mail and not from outside.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010

Plus, a GREAT new feature is adding photos and videos from within apps like safari and mail and not from outside.
A cloud upgrade and something that should have always been there.

That's what excites people these days...

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
Lets summarize the 10 big features of iOS6 shall we?

From this page: http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/

1) Maps: Ok, that's big enough. Whole new interface. Whole new backend. Yep.
2) Siri tells you sports and movie stuff: Yeah sorry, that's a cloud feature.
3) Facebook: Social Networking garbage that should have been paired with Twitter last year. Doesn't even deserve a spot of its own.
4) Shared photo streams: An x.1 addition at best. All they did was make photo stream social. An enhancement, not a feature of its own.
5) Passbook: An app that I could have downloaded from the app store like "Find my Friends". Most people won't use this. They trust the native app more than a consolidated solution.
6) Facetime over Cellular: Something that should have always been there when Facetime came out. No reason to delay except to ration out the features.
7) Phone replies: Should have been there since iOS1. A complete joke. Typical Apple nonsense rationing of features.
8) Mail enhancements: Stuff that should have been there in iOS3. OMG APPLE THANKS FOR LETTING ME ATTACH STUFF IN THE MAIL APP. Complete crap, typical Apple rationing of features.
9) Safari enhancements: Typical stuff that should have been in iOS5 with iCloud. More feature rationing.
10) Accessibility: Apple JUST realized that kids and sick kids can use devices you manipulate with your fingers and parents might want some fine grained control? This should have been around since iOS3 as a minor feature that every parent can use. Typical Apple trying to showcase a feature because they want to portray how they REALLY care about children.

Anyway, yeah, iOS6 is a joke. I'm done with this nonsense for good.

If you don't like the added features, stay on iOS 5, or stop bitching and get an Android device. It's quite annoying. I'd take ALL of those features over having none of them. Just because you may not think something is useful, doesn't mean others won't.

I personally think shared photo streams is amazing! When I go on trips with friends we'll all be able to see each others photos without having to say "Hey bud.. could you send me that photo you took?" I'm really excited about that one.

I haven't seen you list anything you would liked to have seen other than a quick reply feature. If that was added, would it be the best iOS release ever?

Gatecrasher1875

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
Hi

First post, so go easy on me people ;)

Apple have obviously worked hard on expanding siri and the new maps do look amazing. I think in general people seem to be looking for an extra few things to add to the user experience to personalize or allow first glance access to information (widgets or lock screen notifications). I think these will come in time but i think its the amount of time that Apple seem to respond to these type of suggestions is leading to frustrations.

Overall i think its a decent upgrade, I do plan on getting the new iPhone if it looks good :p

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
I haven't seen you list anything you would liked to have seen other than a quick reply feature. If that was added, would it be the best iOS release ever?
No because that should have been there a long time ago. Apple is actually sticking with outdated ways of doing things on their phone and you guys are praising them for it.

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
Lets summarize the 10 big features of iOS6 shall we?

From this page: http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/

1) Maps: Ok, that's big enough. Whole new interface. Whole new backend. Yep.
2) Siri tells you sports and movie stuff: Yeah sorry, that's a cloud feature.
3) Facebook: Social Networking garbage that should have been paired with Twitter last year. Doesn't even deserve a spot of its own.
4) Shared photo streams: An x.1 addition at best. All they did was make photo stream social. An enhancement, not a feature of its own.
5) Passbook: An app that I could have downloaded from the app store like "Find my Friends". Most people won't use this. They trust the native app more than a consolidated solution.
6) Facetime over Cellular: Something that should have always been there when Facetime came out. No reason to delay except to ration out the features.
7) Phone replies: Should have been there since iOS1. A complete joke. Typical Apple nonsense rationing of features.
8) Mail enhancements: Stuff that should have been there in iOS3. OMG APPLE THANKS FOR LETTING ME ATTACH STUFF IN THE MAIL APP. Complete crap, typical Apple rationing of features.
9) Safari enhancements: Typical stuff that should have been in iOS5 with iCloud. More feature rationing.
10) Accessibility: Apple JUST realized that kids and sick kids can use devices you manipulate with your fingers and parents might want some fine grained control? This should have been around since iOS3 as a minor feature that every parent can use. Typical Apple trying to showcase a feature because they want to portray how they REALLY care about children.

Anyway, yeah, iOS6 is a joke. I'm done with this nonsense for good.

Welcome to the free market economy.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

Yeah that IS a good feature, but did we really have to wait until iOS SIX to be able to attach files to an email? It's still only half assed as it doesn't support attaching documents and stuff, only pictures and videos.

Next year...great new feature, you can attach iWork documents to your emails from within the email app! What an improvement!

I wish Apple would stop trickling features like they do, it's beyond ridiculous.

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
No because that should have been there a long time ago. Apple is actually sticking with outdated ways of doing things on their phone and you guys are praising them for it.

Buy an Android device if you don't like what iOS has to offer... No one is stopping you.

What I find hilarious is that you're bashing iOS and the new features, yet you still own an iPhone, and you'll probably be one of the first to update your phone to iOS 6.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Buy an Android device if you don't like what iOS has to offer... No one is stopping you.

What I find hilarious is that you're bashing iOS and the new features, yet you still own an iPhone, and you'll probably be one of the first to update your phone to iOS 6.
I went with Android last week to try it before iPhone 5 comes out. Running ICS as I type this. No more iPhone for me. iOS6 pretty much confirmed for me that Apple will never have any incentive to innovate. In fact, I'd say this upgrade is more of an insult and a CLOUD upgrade masquerading as an OS upgrade.

See you guys on Rootzwiki.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
If you don't like the added features, stay on iOS 5, or stop bitching and get an Android device. It's quite annoying. I'd take ALL of those features over having none of them. Just because you may not think something is useful, doesn't mean others won't.

I personally think shared photo streams is amazing! When I go on trips with friends we'll all be able to see each others photos without having to say "Hey bud.. could you send me that photo you took?" I'm really excited about that one.

My Android phone from 2009 had Facebook integration and turn-by-turn navigation. Hooray, Apple is finally catching up!

My old Android also had QuickReply, displayed my contact photos within my contact list (and synced them to their current Facebook photos), and displayed contact photos within my list of text messages. It also had notification icons in the taskbar to show if I have a missed call or unread text messages.

Why does iOS lack such simplistic features? Why would I want to see a plain old boring list of names, when any other phone/device displays their picture beside the name? It just looks archaic.

I love my iPhone 4, but it sucks that I have to jailbreak it just to get such basic features that are stock everywhere else.

Remember copy/paste? Apple finally got it after the competition had it for quite some time, and all the fanboys rejoiced as if it was the latest and greatest thing ever. Same thing with notifications in iOS 5.

Apple is constantly playing catch-up, lacking basic features, and adding stuff that the majority of people won't really use.

Alas, the silly fanboys rejoice.

I am an iOS developer, so of course I'm tempted to install iOS 6 today, but I know I will just be disappointed when I'm missing out on my basic jailbreak tweaks that should have been stock all along...

Last edited by a moderator:

kramjam

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
California
I went with Android last week to try it before iPhone 5 comes out. Running ICS as I type this. No more iPhone for me. iOS6 pretty much confirmed for me that Apple will never have any incentive to innovate. In fact, I'd say this upgrade is more of an insult and a CLOUD upgrade masquerading as an OS upgrade.

I've always stuck with iPhones, but the iOS6 features announced so far are pretty underwhelming, and I bought a 4S on craigs today because my 4 was so damn slow. What phone did you end up getting? I may check out the SGS 3 for a few weeks and if I can switch, sell the 4S and see if the next iPhone comes with some kind of features to switch back

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England

I'll upgrade my iPad to iOS 6 as soon as its available; doesn't mean the update is anything special. Pure catch up update.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I learned a long time ago to temper my expectations for any Apple announcement. With the exception of a few great product announcements (MBA, iPhone for example) Apple is the king of rationing out features and upgrades... They feed you slowly... With that knowledge I never get my hopes up too high for any keynotes and therefore am not disappointed. I just laugh at all the wild wishes, speculations and predictions that get thrown around before any announcement.

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
Yes its quite nice to be able to shun companies.

I actually agree with you here, but Apple is one of the few companies that arguably has control over the consumer.

Some of us just have to persevere with being on the receiving end of what is a difficult position to change.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
alot of little things that I loved (ipad, mac can use phone numbers for imessage) But I agree there being no big new feature. Maps was as close to a flagship new feature that we got but both my cars have built in GPS so I wont really use turn by turn but its good iOS finally got it.

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy

Welcome Apple to 2010!
IOS more and more reminds me a bit of the Blackberry software, always 2 years behind.

Rootzwiki is the place to be.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I learned a long time ago to temper my expectations for any Apple announcement. With the exception of a few great product announcements (MBA, iPhone for example) Apple is the king of rationing out features and upgrades... They feed you slowly... With that knowledge I never get my hopes up too high for any keynotes and therefore am not disappointed. I just laugh at all the wild wishes, speculations and predictions that get thrown around before any announcement.

It's okay to trickle features when you're the king, but iPhone has some very hot competition now (iPad not so much) so Apple needs to impress..

I'm under no illusion they won't sell a ton of the next iPhone, but their competitors are becoming more popular).

Where are the useful innovative features like Google Wallet (NFC payments) and smart stay? (screen stays on while youre looking at it)

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
I actually agree with you here, but Apple is one of the few companies that arguably has control over the consumer.

Some of us just have to persevere with being on the receiving end of what is a difficult position to change.
They only have control over complacent non-technical people, no offense. The sooner you leave Apple the better. I'm glad I didn't really depend on any Apple stuff. I can still use my iCloud email and all that, which is great, so jumping the Apple ship was pretty easy for me. I don't know how people can put all their eggs in one basket.

I'm not sure why anybody on this forum has any loyalty to any company. Right now I'm using an Android ICS handset which works great, but if something better comes out that serves my needs better, such as Tizen, I'll dump Android like a sack of bricks and go with Tizen.

nextgeneric

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2011
As somebody who has iOS 6 beta installed on my device (for about 1 1/2 hours) I can agree with the sentiment that this is truly and underwhelming release. Maps is cool - for about five seconds. I do like what they've done with the clock app on iPad though, it looks slick.

Everything else is just "meh". I've been combing through the interface to see if I find new stuff but here's what I've found.

• New App Store
  • New iTunes Store
  • New Clock App
  • Slightly modified look on Settings app
  • Maps, of course
  • Some other minute things
  • Slightly modified UI on camera

I missed some but they aren't quite notable, in my humble opinion.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Kinda disappointed...

Mainly:
-no live weather & clock icons
-no more widgets for notification center
-turn-by-turn direction doesnt support iPhone 4
-no update to youtube and gamecenter app

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Kinda disappointed...

Mainly:
-no live weather & clock icons
-no more widgets for notification center
-turn-by-turn direction doesnt support iPhone 4
-no update to youtube and gamecenter app
I think its funny how widgets are a choice on Android yet if you even utter the word "widget" around here, people cry out for your head on a pike.

Applefans hate choice. It's amazing but they really do hate choice. They want to be told what works for them.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2006
No New UI overhaul since original iPhone!!!

:mad: I can't believe this. Apple hasn't overhauled iOS really since the original introduction.

The look / feel still same, still same old icon grid based UI.

Starting to look + feel very dated next to Android/ Win8 UI features. Those others are much more flexible, can include widgets, more user-based info. While Apple can only display icons. Yikes.

Why is Apple resting on their laurels?

You'd think a company dominating so much now would've invested a lot more time to improve iOS and be innovative again. Instead now iOS6 feels like a dinosaur.

Also I sure hope Apple gives us the option to switch to Google maps if we want to.

Overall i'm disappointed with the Keynote but this is almost the case every time.

I wasn't expecting the new Apple HDTV (iTV) but why no iPhone5 introduction? Samsung is already out with their next gen Galaxy quad-core phone and Apple still only has the 4S.

Android sure is tempting now and i might do the switch.

Really disappointing

soucy

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
The biggest disappointment in iOS6 is that iOS and therefore all Apple devices get more and more US/Canada tailored. I am afraid a lot of the so called "new stuff" shown in todays keynote will not be available outside the US and Canada.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.