Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is iOS6 a disappointment from what you learned in the keynote?

• It was NOT a disappointment.

Votes: 760 50.9%
  • It was definitely a disappointment.

Votes: 732 49.1%

• Total voters

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Being able to patent something implies apple has to actually come up with something innovative in the first place. ;)

not really, its just "who buys the patents or company" first nowadays, that's why software patents are pathetic. u shouldnt be able to buy ideas/patents from someone else just to beat your competition.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I really don't get why FaceTime over cellular will only work on the 4S. I can tether my wifi iPad 3 to my iPhone 4 and do FaceTime with no issue at all. IMO FaceTime works just fine over 3G.

The A5 processor has a image signal processor embedded which is why it cam do things like video stabilization and other things

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
So iOS6 is out in the wild. Some people were saying that you can't judge a beta or a keynote address so now that you have it in your hands, is it a disappointment?

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
So iOS6 is out in the wild. Some people were saying that you can't judge a beta or a keynote address so now that you have it in your hands, is it a disappointment?

Actually no it is not a disappointment. I actually like the visuals of iOS 6 maps better than google, esp like the iOS 6 with turn by turn and 3D. It is much better than Mapquest in the car. I do miss Street View, but can get that from google maps via Safari as needed. Some things in Maps need improvement, so there will be a weaning period.

The other improvements with iOS 6 are useful. Not much to complain about. I wasn't expecting an anti gravity drop feature.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004

Maps is really smooth and works great for me, visually a lot nicer to use. The other features like the DND mode & Cloud tabs in Safari is really useful so if you compare iOS5 to iOS6 I know I much prefer iOS6.

It's not revolutionary but I did not expect that, it is a good evolution of iOS5. So no it's not a disappointment for me its just a better more polished OS with a nice list of small but useful additions.

Edwin

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
It's not revolutionary but I did not expect that, it is a good evolution of iOS5. So no it's not a disappointment for me its just a better more polished OS with a nice list of small but useful additions.
By this logic, no OS update in the entirety of the OS world could EVER be disappointing as long as there's bits of polish and even the smallest additions in each one, which is the point of an update in the first place.

Gotcha. :rolleyes:

iAlphard

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2012
Ios 6 is a step forward in using more system resource, it is inevitable. With the new device introduced, they will start to favor more the new one instead the older devices. So now you need to be smarter in using your device, or you can choose to upgrade. What my concern is, how much RAM does the iphone 5 has. No review states that yet, we still need to wait. More RAM equal more apps to run in background, smoother experience in apps that requires more RAM like the new app store or the new maps.

Gatecrasher1875

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
Where I live there is 1 passbook app
My map is in black and white and out of date
and facebook intergration is ok

Underwhelming indeed

Hazyb71

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2010
By this logic, no OS update in the entirety of the OS world could EVER be disappointing as long as there's bits of polish and even the smallest additions in each one, which is the point of an update in the first place.

Hmm.. not necessarily. The OS didn't receive just a few tweaks, but they went into everything and made it better. They took what was great and worked on refining it and bringing it to a more polished state. I Love that. Granted, there is nothing as big/fresh as multitasking or notifications center was, but I feel this update did to the iOS what Snow Leopard did to Leopard. It took each app, feature, color scheme, integration, etc. and made it better.
I don't think it's fair to say no update could be disappointing. It could be. It depends how extensive the refinement is. For iOS 6, they did get pretty far.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004

Seriously can we stop playing the silly semantics game! YOU asked the forum if it is a disappointment now that it's out, I answered your question. :rolleyes:

I said

This does not remove the fact that an update can be disappointing just that this update is not in my eyes (which is the question YOU asked), due to the improved polish and many small but very useful additions.

If it was a bug fix or only had small but not useful additions then it would perhaps be a disappointment.

Just because you want it to be revolutionary and anything less has to be a disappointment does not mean I have to feel the same, nor does it mean that my viewpoint is as you suggest illogical. :rolleyes:

For others with different needs who don't use the features like DND, VIP inboxes or live in an area with older maps that need updating might have a different view as they won't use any of the additions but that's fine.

For me I updated to iOS6 and it has made my devices better to use without any drawbacks, others might differ and thats the great thing with this forum most of the time, we can have informed debate.

Just remember Calidude everyone else does not have to be wrong for your views to be correct from your viewpoint on the world. Just remember this is true the other way round. So enjoy being disappointed with iOS 6 and railing against the system and I will enjoy iOS 6. We can both get what we want, just don't tell the other side they have to be wrong for you to be right :)

JonBx

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Calidude a Fraud

Calidude is nothing but a sht stirrer. A review of iOS6 3 months before it was released? Over 1,600 anti-Apple posts? Back in June you said you were "done with this nonsense for good." Obviously you are not because you are still here complaining away. Do us a favor and disappear.

Last edited:

MarqueeK

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2009
It really depends on where you are. If you're in a big city in the US, you're probably more or less satisfied.
I live in Tokyo, Japan and I'm sure that most people here would call it a disappointment.

Apple Maps has been causing quite a stir pretty much globally. But here in Japan, it's a farce.
We're not only getting general lack of data but outright wrong ones like a McDonalds being listed as a train station, a high school located inside the prime minister's residence and place names showing up in Chinese and Korean.

And then there's Passbook which currently has zero compatible apps (except MLB for those willing to fly to North America to catch a ballgame) and seeing how paranoid Japanese companies are with making use of the newest technology, I don't see it catching on anytime soon.

The above plight also applies to Siri. In the US, data providers have hooked up with Siri to allow users to reserve restaurants, look up movies and find local information. In Japan there are plenty of providers of such data and services but none of them are willing to integrate with Siri.

All the other small updates are small enough that they go pretty much unnoticed. When the top 3 most visible updates are useless, it's a major disappointment.

That being said I love the liquid pull to refresh circle in the e-mail app. That's probably my highlight.

Last edited:

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
I like the fact that it didn't bring my iPhone to a crawl, unlike iOS updates of the past.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I stand corrected.

Maps is horrible.

Passbook is broken.

Luckily I wasn't able to get the iPhone 5 due to new upgrade rules from AT&T.

That's ok, because now I can switch to Verizon for their superior LTE network and Google for their user friendly OS.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Here's an unbiased source's summary of iOS6:

iOS 6, the App Store, iTunes and iCloud all work together to create the most polished and feature-complete mobile ecosystem there is. The only troubling thing about that achievement is that the changes in iOS 6 don't feel particularly forward-looking. Apple's achieved an industry-leading level of polish and sophistication — now it's time for the company to push forward once again.

[http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/21/3363060/ios-6-review

bumblehat

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Chicago
not really, its just "who buys the patents or company" first nowadays, that's why software patents are pathetic. u shouldnt be able to buy ideas/patents from someone else just to beat your competition.

Patent lawyer here. You can patent pretty much anything if you throw enough money at the issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.