Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mxidis88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
SLC, UT
I recently upgraded to ios7 beta 3 from beta 2. Everything was dandy until I looked at my flashlight in control center this morning. It is greyed out and I can't use it...Anybody have any ideas why?

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I recently upgraded to ios7 beta 3 from beta 2. Everything was dandy until I looked at my flashlight in control center this morning. It is greyed out and I can't use it...Anybody have any ideas why?

Someone in another thread suggested using the flash when taking a picture. Then trying to use it again, it might work.

Cthulhu179

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2014
This is not just a beta thing. I have this problem today but the same camera fix still works.

codywohlers

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2012
Canada
Weird, I had this problem today too, for the first time. The "take a picture with the flash on" trick worked for me too. Thanks!
iPhone 5S, iOS 7.0.4

Gavald

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2014
I'd love if this worked for me, unfortunately, my camera app isn't working either.

The flashlight icon is greyed out, as was the OP's issue, but I've got the added bonus of the camera app freezing up as well. The screen is blacked out. I can turn the flash settings on or off or auto, and the HDR settings on and off as well. If I try to take a picture, though, nothing happens. If I try a second time, none of the options (camera button, HDR, flash, switching to front facing) work and the app is frozen.

I can switch to the front facing camera sometimes, and other times it'll make the app freeze as well.

There are many others with this issue, and I've scoured the forums, but nothing works. I've tried:

- closing all programs
- Restarting the phone
- Hard reset (lock and home buttons)
- Installing a 3rd party app
- trying to take pictures with the normal app with the flash on

I don't want to fully reset my phone to factory settings, as nobody I've seen with this problem on the forums has fixed it this way. The camera I might be able to live without... The flashlight... It's more useful than one would realize!

EDIT:

Turns out that the flashlight works, as long as I have something else open (like Chrome). No luck still with the camera, but at least I can see in the dark again!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.