Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Yeah, in Chicago you either have to park a ways out and cab or public transit in, have knowledge of where the secret spots are for parking or fork over some serious cake for parking lots. The Apple Store on Michigan is not easy to get to but it is spectacular.

And yes, Mayor Daley, while not the best mayor overall has done quite a bit to clean up the city.

Back on topic - I would love to see some Iowa Apple Store pics. It's always amazing to me when I go to Des Moines how much it has grown in the past decade.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Well I didn't take any pictures of the store (doh!) but heres one of the line shortly before they were going to let us in (it went way further back but the front is up there somewhere). I also somehow found if funny that a store called "Steve's Shoes" was two stores down. They handed out t-shirts (black with apple logo that said Jordan Creek on them) to the first 1,000 or so I guess. They had the 30 inch screen there but no video card to power it... :) iPod minis in all colors, iPod photo, etc.

I only bought an iCurve... didn't really need anything else...

(Sorry, I only took two crappy pics with my camera phone).

ebook

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
Sprint Car Capital of the World
SilentPanda said:
They had the 30 inch screen there but no video card to power it... :)

Hey, I went there this evening to check things out. Unfortunately I left the credit cards in my pocket :( But, I did enjoy my 40 minutes in there. I know that seems a bit excesive for a little store, but hey, I'm still waiting for my replacement iMac so I'm going through withdrawl!! And, they did have a video card to run the 30" display today (at least it seems like the did because it was on and I used it). All in all my impression was pretty positive. The only complaint that I had was that they really didn't have that much for speaker selection (no Creative's). That kinda bummed me because I would have purchased some if I could have listened to them and then picked up the box. But, really I loved the store and I know that it will make me take the 20 minutes longer trip to West Des Moines more often!!!

The biggest problem that I had was that I am now having second thoughts about my iPod choice (by the way the photo's looked awesome!!). I had finally resolved that I was going to get a 20 gig model because I liked the idea of having all of my music with me all of the time (about 5 gigs) and it really wasn't that much bigger when you think about it. But, when I started messing around with them side by side and really seeing the size difference (and the blue color) it made me have second thoughts. Now, I'm just not sure what I want. I mean my music collection is not that huge and really it would take me longer than my 20 gig model would last to build a music collection that large...but, I would be able to have everything with me. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :confused:

So, anyways...the point is the new Apple Store is amazing (only the 2nd time I've been in one) and it is really going to make my life difficult I can tell!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.