Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majkom

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Hi, i want to upgrade my 5s but cannot decide, which way to go. I can either buy new iPhone SE and iPad mini 4 or iPhone 6s plus. It will cist me roughly same, but man, I really can not decide.

I will definitely buy macbook later, these iOS devices will be primary used for content consumption, communication and my primary camera fir at least few months.

iPhone SE + iPad
+ iPhone portability and one hand device
+ bigger screen for surfing home on coach
- I dont like idea of having too many devices (iPhone, iPad, Macbook)

iPhone 6s plus
+ bigger screen everywhere
+ better screen vs iPhone SE
+ much better camera (is that true?)
+ only one ios device
- definitely can not be used with only one hand

I know you cant decide for me, but if any one tried both ways or is/was doing same decision, please share your experience.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Are you not able to hold off until the September Apple Keynote ?

If not spend some quality time in your local Apple Store or Network Highstreet store to play around with the demo models.

Reactions: Azzurro

martint235

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2016
For what it's worth , my leaving of the Note 3 world was driven by the same ideas. Got an SE cos it's nice, small and you don't look as much of a prat holding it to your head. I paired it with the 9.7ipp to make more "gap" between the devices.

A month later it's working well. SE is able to show my emails, take brief notes and quick web searches etc with the iPad in reserve for more detail.

Reactions: Jetcat3

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
I'm using SE and Mini 4. I had the original Galaxy Note - the mother of all phablets - and it was great but since 8" iPads came out I have not looked back.

I love the SE so much more than any larger phone I've had. It's strong, fits in the pocket, and I could not bear the ugliness of the bigger iPhones.

I take my Mini 4 everywhere. I can remove the case and cover and it fits in my jacket pocket. I also use it as a second screen for my Mac.

Reactions: Jetcat3 and dcpmark

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
Hi, i want to upgrade my 5s but cannot decide, which way to go. I can either buy new iPhone SE and iPad mini 4 or iPhone 6s plus.

I just had this same choice to make, and I went with the 6s+. I liked the small 5s a lot overall, it served me well for 1.5 yrs, but I was constantly frustrated viewing my photos, and reading websites on the smaller screen.

The 6s+ has a feature where you touch the home button twice (touch, not click), and then everything onscreen shifts down to the bottom half of the phone within reach of one hand. So you're wrong about one-handed operation.

And other than the increased size and weight (really you get used to it), reading, typing, and viewing everything on the 6s+ is a pure joy. My iPad Air is barely getting any use now.

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
SE and Mini 4 for me too.....could not be happier. I started with full sized iPads, but after my first two moved to the Mini line.

majkom

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 3, 2011
seems like majority votes for SE and iPad.
I just reserved SE and I will try both choices in the store... what bugs me about 6s Plus is fact, that there will be new ip Plus in few months. Maybe I can buy just 6 plus...

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Since you mentioned you also planing to get MBP, i would skip the iPad and move to SE & MacBook combo, unless you having specific use for a tablet.

Last edited:

majkom

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 3, 2011
Since you mentioned you also planing to get MBP, i would skip the iPad and move to SE & MacBook combo, unless you having specific use for a tablet.
I definitely need something bigger than 4inch display for daily web surfing, even if I buy macbook. I usually do my daily web surfing siting on the coach and for this, iOS devices are much more comfortable than macbooks

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
i have a iphone 6S i will soon be getting the ipad pro 9.7 and that is going too be a sweet combo for me

i find 4.7" screen and 9.7" screen too be the right combo for me

i was going too wait in tell the iphone 7 but i dont think the iphone 7 will be march of a upgrade this year but will see i will upgrade when the iphone 8 comes out or iphone 8S has it seems like the S models all ways have a major upgrade then when the iphone 7

Reactions: Jetro

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
I definitely need something bigger than 4inch display for daily web surfing, even if I buy macbook. I usually do my daily web surfing siting on the coach and for this, iOS devices are much more comfortable than macbooks

In that case, SE & iPad Mini is the perfect combo!

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I think the 6S Plus is the better device. The SE, as good as the specs are (excluding the screen size and resolution), is not as good as the 6S Plus. iPads are useless these days because they're overblown media consumption devices. I would say the iPad is only good for kids or businesses that need something dependable for light productivity.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
6s Plus.

iPads are worthless pieces of junk.
Where is the "dislike" button? o_O

I think the 6S Plus is the better device. The SE, as good as the specs are (excluding the screen size and resolution), is not as good as the 6S Plus. iPads are useless these days because they're overblown media consumption devices. I would say the iPad is only good for kids or businesses that need something dependable for light productivity.
iPads are useless these days compared to what, iPads in a previous time? That comment makes it sound like you believe this iPad used to be a great tool but it's gotten worse over time.

I'd say the Plus is too big to be a phone and too small to be a tablet. You keep your "jack of all trades, master of none" Plus and I'll continue using two devices that are much better at different tasks.

Last edited:
Reactions: lyngo

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Where is the "dislike" button? o_O

iPads are useless these days compared to what, iPads in a previous time? That comment makes it sound like you believe this iPad used to be a great tool but it's gotten worse over time.

I'd say the Plus is too big to be a phone and too small to be a tablet. You keep your "jack of all trades, master of none" Plus and I'll continue using two devices that are much better at different tasks.

It was great around the 2nd to 3rd gen and about the 2nd gen iPad Mini. Now, it's just really a child's toy in comparison to what is out there. The Surface is so much better than an iPad Pro or iPad Mini. iOS is less functional than Windows by far. The Surface has gone from complete crap (1st gen) to one of the best devices you can get for a tablet.

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
If you have your heart set on an ipad mini then go with the iPhone se. I've had a ip6+ and ipad mini combo and it felt silly to me because my ip6+ was almost as big as my mini. I later on sold my mini for a ipad air 2.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
It was great around the 2nd to 3rd gen and about the 2nd gen iPad Mini. Now, it's just really a child's toy in comparison to what is out there. The Surface is so much better than an iPad Pro or iPad Mini. iOS is less functional than Windows by far. The Surface has gone from complete crap (1st gen) to one of the best devices you can get for a tablet.
The iPad is thinner, lighter, lasts longer on a charge, and has WAY more apps designed for touch input than a Surface, but if I had to only pick one device, I'm not sure what I'd pick.

I can and do use my iPad for almost everything I need a laptop for, but giving up my laptop and only having an iPad would make me anxious. However, I'd much rather use an iPad than a Windows tablet for my basic needs.

Fortunately, since I'm not in that situation, I will continue using an iPad as my main device, and having a MacBook Pro as a safety net.

Reactions: M. Gustave

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I've got the SE (as of Friday) and the 6S Plus and the Mini 4. I've got things set up so I'll be using all three, but I can say that the SE and Mini 4 combo is great.

The 6S Plus isn't really ideal for web surfing because if you use Safari, so many sites default to the mobile view and it's a pain to get out of that view. I prefer my mini for reading electronic books and web surfing and watching videos.

I probably don't really need my 6S Plus anymore, but I have it so I've designated some uses for it, like running a language lesson program as well as using it for recipes since it is a good size to use in my kitchen. It's also a good size for my emails. I'm not selling it or passing it to any other family members at this point. Oh and my 6S Plus is 128 GB while the SE tops out at 64 GB so I'll still be using my 6S Plus when I am going to be taking a lot of big videos. But really the SE can do that, too, so long as I remember to move the video onto external storage.

If I could have only one or two out of the three it would definitely be the SE and the mini 4.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I'd say an SE and Air 2 or mini 4. I have a 5S, a mini 4 and a Mac mini desktop setup, which is all a pretty nice combo. I can see a MacBook and a 6S / 6S+ being a nice combo as well, especially when paired with an Apple Watch.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
The iPad Air 2 is currently $50 off at Best Buy right now, so you can get an iPhone SE AND an iPad Air 2 for the same price as an iPhone 6s Plus if you buy the iPad Air 2 while it's still on sale.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.