IP Address Question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bobber205, Nov 1, 2006.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I know how to get to my ip address and access my machine over the net, but what about others?

There's a computer I am the primary user on at school, (a linux machine), that I would love to be able to ssh log into and update at home overnight.

Is there some way I could get the necessary info to do that?
    How would I access a computer with the local ip addres of 192.168.0.64 via my router's ip address?

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The router at the other end would need to be configured to "forward" the ssh port (22, I believe) through to 192.168.0.64. You'd then connect to the "public" IP (213.676.412.537* or whatever) from your home system.

*Yes, I'm aware that isn't a valid address.

3. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

How would I do that to more than one computer?

Is there a way to pick one or log into the router? :confused:

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I'm not sure I completely understand.

Is the computer you wish to access in the same LAN as the computer you wish to access it from?

EDIT: Nevermind, I wrote this post, got distracted by LOST, and got beaten by Nermal.

Back on topic... I believe it would be unlikely for a school's router to allow incoming traffic.

5. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

you'd need the public IP address assigned to you by your ISP. That would basically get you to your modem.

However...

it's very unlikely you'd be able to gain access to a 192 address, since 192 is a reserved private IP address, and reserved IP address packets will be dropped by the router. This is not to say that it's impossible to remotely access your machine. Far from it. You'd just need to set up a remote access service. This link should give you some options.

6. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

You need some kind of VPN. If your school doesn't have a VPN, look into using hamachi.