IP Address

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by iHatePCs, Feb 4, 2005.

1. iHatePCs macrumors member

Aug 3, 2004
    Hey, I have an iBook and an Airport Extreme Wireless router, and my IP address is being hidden and coming up as, how do I unhide it or unmask it or whatever. Like how would I chamge it to what it would normally be without the mask... Kind of what it would be if you go on www.ipchicken.com... Please help... because I want to let people view my file server and I can't change my IP adress. Please HELP!!!! :eek:
  2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    You are probably using NAT to translate your external ("real") IP address into one or more internal addresses. is your Macs real address. It's not hidden. It's not masked. You need to use the admin tools for the router to find out what it's external interface IP address is. Or use one of the many websites which will tell you what your IP address is as it will only see the router.

Edit: One more thing! You will almost certainly need to turn on port forwarding to forward the server traffic from the router to the Mac. You will need to find out what ports your server uses (80 for http normally for example).
  3. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Yeah, this whole NAT and local IP addresses and routers and firewalls and your Mac's MAC address can get pretty confusing.
  4. Veldek macrumors 68000

Mar 29, 2003
  5. daveL macrumors 68020

Jun 18, 2003
    It also depends on how your ISP works. Some ISPs also use private IP addresses inside their firewall. They usually charge you a monthly fee if you want a static, public IP address. My ISP assigned a private 10.x.x.x address to the WAN side of my router; the router uses 192.168.x.x addresses for the internal LAN.

BTW, private IP addresses (one's that won't route on the Internet, as above) are used for security reasons. If you have a public IP address, you better have your internal security, both network and OS, locked down as tight as you can. They will be port scanning you the minute you're visible on the 'net.