IP address

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hogman, Jan 3, 2007.

1. hogman macrumors member

hogman

I have looked all over the internet and havn't found anything, so yet again I find myself looking to the brilliant minds, here.

I need to change my IP, but I dont know how. It is farly simple on a windows, but i have no idea how to do so on a mac.

can someone help me?

2. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

what exactly do you want to do?

3. hogman thread starter macrumors member

hogman

I want to change my IP address, I don't know what else to tell you.

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

System Preferences>Network>Configure>TCP/IP. Use the drop down menu to change DHCP to manually. From there on I hope you know what you're doing.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

If you mean the one provided by your ISP, you're out of luck. They control which one you get and when you get it.

You could switch ISPs, you could power-cycle your router, etc., but there's no way to guarantee it'll change.

This wouldn't have anything to do with being banned from a site, now, would it?

6. hogman thread starter macrumors member

hogman

yes and no.

Halo servers, im banned from like 5 that ive never been on. If you know anything about halo then youll understand when i tell you that revine is back on. If you dont know, he's a huge hacker. I don't think it should be very complex. What I can tell you is that if I login on another account on my computer then the problem is solved. hope that information helps

7. Kodex macrumors member

IP address are provided from your internet service provider (ISP) you could force a change in yours but it is doubtful that you would maintain a connection to your ISP. If another account on your computer can log in fine then changing the IP is not your problem, it would appear as though your account has been banned. There is not really a lot that you can do about that.

8. hogman thread starter macrumors member

hogman

its not my account, because i have multiple accounts and none of them can get in. plus, if you know about the halo banning system, they ban by ip rather than account name. thats why none of my accounts can connect.

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Its possible that all accounts that had used a given IP address - yours - were banned, but that the IP itself wasn't, which would explain why a new or different account you hadn't used before might work.

10. Kodex macrumors member

You said the problem was fixed if you logged in from another account. Anyways if you go to system preferences in the apple menu, select network, then select your connection type. Click on the TCP tab you can change the network from DHCP to DHCP with a manual address and change your IP. I would be careful though chances are you will no longer be able to connect to the internet till you change it back. Dont forget to hit Apply to save the settings.

11. hogman thread starter macrumors member

hogman

I think that may do it. Ill try in the morning.

12. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

Use a proxy or an anonymizer service. Some game servers are setup to detect this though and may not let you gain access.

13. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

I'll sell you a 'class C', it will last .... a while. haha :D