IP change

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Max Payne, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Max Payne macrumors 6502a

How do I change my IP while browsing the net. I am using ntl service provider in the UK. Is there a way to change the IP to a different one?

Thank you in advance.

2. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

I don't think NTL lets you change your public address. It will change from time-to-time as they make layout changes on the network. However in my experience that's only about once every 6 months or so and there is no way to manually request a change.

I guess you could try calling their helpline to see if they can do anything.

Why do you want to change it anyway?

3. Max Payne thread starter macrumors 6502a

I want to hack a bank :D

No, really, I want to trick a friend. It's nothing important.

4. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

:)

You could perhaps try leaving the cable box off overnight. The DHCP lease might expire and the box might get issued with a different address. Don't be surprised if it doesn't tho.

5. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Thats all you can really do. Find out the length of a IP lease. Which you might be able to find out on the router you use? Not sure...then just unplug it for that long or longer. BUt there is no sure fire way to get a new IP. I don't know what your trying to do but maybe a public proxy would do the trick?

6. scan macrumors 6502

I used to work for Rogers here in Canada and I can tell you that if the service provider's is anything like Rogers, this claim would be false. I'll explain:

Although isp will say its DHCP, there is very little 'dynamic' about it. There will be a cmts dedicated for your area and each MAC/Ethernet address associated with your modems will be given an IP. The ONLY way this would change is if the number of houses are continually growing, or any other reason they would need to allocate more addresses. If this happens, you may get a new IP because they will have to enlarge the subnet, and reassign your IP address.

7. MacAnkka macrumors regular

Beisides the already mentioned possibilities (turning the modem off for a while, using a proxy), I can think of two other possibilities.

Your ISP might allow for personal use more than one IP (at least most here in Finland can gice 4-5 IP's). Try to connect two different computers in to the DSL modem disabling the NAT (through the DSL-box's/NAT's web interface, if it has one) or simply going around it (my DSL modem and NAT are on different boxes). If your DSL-box only has one ethernet port, you could use a very cheap hub to get both computers hooked up to it. That might give the other computer an other, different, IP. Then you could use it for hacking the bank (or whatever you are doing). Might be a little complicated, though, and lot's of ifs...

Other option is to use a friend's computer or a library/school computer, but I don't know if they would suit your needs (whatever they are) :)

8. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

This may work, I know that on the BT exchange it takes 17.5 minutes to release a session that you already had. This would possiblity change the ip address only if another session uses it.

9. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Yes that is sometimes true. However DHCP is still used it that type of situation...really depends on the ISP. Another option to get around that is to "fake" the MAC address. most cheap routers can't do this however.:(

10. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I think if you enter something in the DHCP Client ID field (can be anything!) it forces a re-lease.

11. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

What about a VPN client? That would give your computer a different IP address. Of course you would need someplace to VPN into.

12. slicedbread macrumors regular