IP over FireWire™ Beta Developer Release

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mr. Dibbs, Dec 4, 2002.

1. macrumors newbie

Nov 21, 2002
    Apparently, the apple developer website has, for free download, a kernel extension for Mac OS !0.2.2 which allows for TCP/IP to be run over a FireWire™ connection, between Macs and any other FireWire™ Device. According to the quoted news article, once installed, you will see FireWire as a network connection option. The connection is supposed to support Rendezvous, as well as HTTP, AFP, and SSH. The link to the news article is here, but it will be archived in a few days.

To throw fuel on the fire, does anyone think this might have to do with some of the trademarks and FCC stuff registered recently by apple, such as GigaWire for instance? This new IP over FireWire implementation takes a lot of the argument that it could not be firewire because of the communications aspect of it. -Dibbs
  2. macrumors 6502

Mar 5, 2002
    This is cool - I find connecting my ibook and g3 tower via ethernet a bit frustrating, and it would be good to be able to use firewire instead. maybe it will work better?! anyway, i'm going to give it a shot.
  3. macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    Re: IP over FireWire™ Beta Developer Release

This is nothing new you guys. Windows 2000 and XP(dont think 98) have had this for almost 2 years now and maybe even longer. I use it when i play games with people because this faster than 10/100 because most people dont have gigabit ethernet.