IP over Firewire 800

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by swoolf, Nov 14, 2003.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi again -

Yesterday I started a post to discuss the merits and shortcomings of using a gigabit ethernet network for digital video storage.

On a similar note, I read tonight that Firewire 800 supports up to 100 meters of cabling! Amazing.

So here's a question -- getting creative for a moment, is it possible to network multiple computers to each other, or to an external Firewire 800 drive, using IP over firewire? Is that nuts?

I haven't researched hubs or switches that might accomplish this, nor looked at cable prices, but given the amazing cable length supported through FW800, it's an intriguing thought. I imagine that it could be a technical nightmare if things start going wrong.

Love to hear any input on it.

Thanks,

Steve

2. macrumors G4

Re: IP over Firewire 800

Apple developed IP over Firewire. However, I am unaware of a shipping product that uses it.

3. macrumors member

krhodus

if you are a member of ADC, you can download it off the member site.
    Kevin

4. macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    Or if you have 10.3 it's already installed. If it doesn't show up, choose "Network Port Configurations" from the drop down list, click the "New..." button, and from the Port drop down list choose "Built-in FireWire".

Although I am not sure about FireWire 800 vs. Gigabit, I tested FireWire 400 vs. 100baseTX (using 10.2 and the beta IP over FireWire driver), and 100baseTX was always faster.

5. macrumors 65816

yamabushi

Several years ago NEC created a small program that enables IP over Firewire400 under Win98SE.

6. macrumors 6502a

It's things like integrated firewire networking in 10.3 that you notice left and right that make me wonder what kind of crack folks are smoking who say it's not worth the upgrade price...

7. Sol
    macrumors 68000

Sol

Re: IP over Firewire 800

I read this too but I have yet to see any FireWire cables with that much lenght. Does anyone know where these supposed 100 m. cables can be purchased?

As for the original question, I think that the only way to share the external FireWire drive is by plugging into a networked computer.

8. macrumors 6502a

I believe the 100m(?) spec is using optical cable. Seems difficult to find, however. I bet it can be obtained.

9. macrumors 604

iJon

Re: Re: IP over Firewire 800

apple didnt invent it, they hopped on the bandwagon about 2 years after windows had it.

iJon