IP Over Firewire (Mac/PC)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jlin615, Dec 6, 2006.

1. jlin615 macrumors regular

I was finally able to hook up my MacBook Pro to my PC through firewire at 400Mbps, this way they can share files fast. However in OS X I noticed whenever I'm accessing a Windows XP folder with MANY of items in there, finder just can't access it and just tend to freeze. I did not have a problem accessing a folder with 50 items in there.

Anybody had this problem before? Did I missed a setting?

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I did this a while back, and found that my realized transfer speeds weren't much faster than a 100 Mbps ethernet connection.

For your issue, I'd suggest that you setup a share on your MBP and "push" the files from your Windows PC to your Mac. Use Sharepoints if you need to share more than your home directory. Don't forget to enable Windows sharing in the Sharing Prefs.

3. jlin615 thread starter macrumors regular

Just did a test. With Firewire Over IP, if there's more than 50 files in my Windows XP's shared Folder, then OS X Finder will freeze. A Windows XP's shared folder with 49 files in there, Finder was able to access it with no problems. I'm sure most of you have more than 50 songs in one folder, this can be a hassle.

I even ran a patch from Microsoft that enables XP to use firewire network connection at full 400Mbps, rather than 100Mbps (a bug in XP service pack 2).

I googled everywhere for solution for this problem, still no luck. Anybody ever had this problem?