IP printing troubles

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by wPod, Sep 2, 2004.

1. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

I am here at a major university trying to print to an IP printer (an HP laserjet 8000). the setup works fine on a windows machine. There are two printers, one 'in the back' of the tech shop (where I am working), a laserjet 4200, and the other in the library area for everyone to use (the 8000). I can connect to the 4200 with no problem and print fine. When I print to the 8000 the printer set up utility stops the jobs printing. when i try to start them again it simply stops the job every time. I cant figure out why one stops and the other works fine, they are both set up the same in the network. The only thing I can figure out is the 8000 is known to have driver issues when the latest drivers are installed (it is older and has been working for a long time) but it seems that the latest drivers should work. any suggestions?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Are you saying that you can IP print to those HP printers from Windows, but you can't IP print to those same printers from the Mac? If that is what you mean, then your solution is simple or it should be. You must use the Printer Setup Utility to add the printers.

Press the Add icon in the toolbar. A dialog box will appear.
    Notice the pop-up menu at the top of the dialog box. The menu may have AppleTalk selected. Choose IP Printing or HP IP Printing from the menu. You may even be able to choose Rendezvous because HP supports that, as well.

Beyond this point, you have several options. Pick one and try it. I have used IP Printing with my HP printer. It works just fine.

3. wPod thread starter macrumors 68000

wPod

both printers work with windows. only one of them works with mac (i set it up exactly how you described) i cant figure out why one works and one doesnt with mac.

4. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Have you tried using different drivers on the mac for the 8000? When you use the setup utility, and choose the type of printer, perhaps there's another one you could pick (dunno, something else in the 8000 series family?)

Obviously I'm guessing here, but since you're taking the printer as a given, and the mac can print over the network to one of them, the most likely thing is something in the mac drivers for the 8000 not being compatible.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I told you how to start. I did not tell you how to finish. I presume that you are using the Apple-installed PPD for the LJ 8000. It appears to be the latest version. I have seen Windows-centric IT do some strange things with printer setups. You may want to go through each setting on the printer. The bottomline is that you are going to have to figure this one out for yourself.

6. wPod thread starter macrumors 68000

wPod

Thanks for the help, but i figured out the problem. there was a DNS error with the server that caused the problem. the printer was assigned two IP addresses on the server but had only one IP address. the idea was that one address was set up for wireless then forwarded to the IP that was on the printer. im sure there is some strange reason for this. but, once i entered the proper IP that the printer has it worked fine.