IP Renew Help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TheAnt, Feb 27, 2005.

1. TheAnt macrumors newbie

Hey,

I've been trying to figure out how to refresh my IP so that I can connect to the internet via programs.

Everything is set as if it's not connected, however I'm browsing the internet. What do I have to do to refresh/get a new IP address?

I use 10.2.8

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Launch System Preferences and open the Network preferences pane. Click on the TCP/IP tab. From the Configure IPv4:, select Using DHCP from the pop-up menu. To the right of the IP address, note the Renew DHCP Lease button. Press it.

3. TheAnt thread starter macrumors newbie

There is no button for that whenever I go there.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Apparently, this dialog is slightly different in Jaguar. I found this for you:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/archive/index.php/t-136934.html

Two options. First, go to Terminal and type:

sudo ifconfig enX down
    ifconfig enX up

This will release and renew (respectively).

Second, go back to Network, and toggle the setting that reads "Configure using DHCP" to "Configure Manually," apply, and then set it back to the original setting and close out preferences. When you set it back to the original setting, you should get a new DHCP lease.

5. TheAnt thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks a ton

edit: tried the terminal... said interface enX does not exist.
    preferences does not work either.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ooops, I'm super sorry, I copied that out of the page I pointed you to without thinking too carefully. X should be a number, most likely zero, which identifies your ethernet device. So it would become:

sudo ifconfig en0 down
    sudo ifconfig en0 up

When you said network prefs didn't work, can you please be more specific? Did you not find that option, or did it not give you a new IP address? You might have to click through an initial page that shows you all your connections (double click on the currently used one, and then you can go to the TCP/IP tab).

7. TheAnt thread starter macrumors newbie

Attached is a screenshot of my Network preferences settings.

I tried the sudo command again like you did, it prompted my password but did nothing more

File is PDF as I don't have photoshop on my machine yet, i lost my disc for it

Attached Files:

8. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

You say so you can connect to the internet via programs right now when you try to connect what does it do second which program does this? I do not think this has anything to do with IP address.

9. TheAnt thread starter macrumors newbie

It's primarily not allowing me to use BitTorrent...

10. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

It could have something to do with the firewall in airport what type of airport do you have? Is it at the latest firmware?

11. TheAnt thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using Airport Extreme with an Airport Extreme Base Station. All the firmware is latest.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hmm, I don't think this has anything to do with your DHCP lease either. What is it that makes you think that you are not connected to the net? Just the fact that BitTorrent doesn't work? Does it totally fail to connect, or does it just give you seemingly zero d/l speeds? BitTorrent requires you to have some ports open on your firewall -- ports 6881-6889. These ports are to allow other people to latch onto you in the torrent. http://userpages.umbc.edu/~hamilton/btclientconfig.html explains this.

You have to open these both in software and in hardware (on the Airport), I think. Definitely in the software firewall, which is in Preferences, I think under Sharing (that's where it is in Panther).

13. TheAnt thread starter macrumors newbie

It completely fails to connect. This problem happened before the hard drive on this laptop failed about two months prior. I went to download some stuff and it suddenly stopped working. From there on out I have been unable to download anything. It does not connect.

14. curtis5906 macrumors newbie

I was searching for the same answer. Since this post is outdated for Snow Leopard I thought I'd provide an updated version.

(Stolen from thegeekpub... don't sue me). Under System Preferences click on Network. Under Network select the network adapter and then click advanced. Click the renew lease button.