Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slimmyhendrix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
MN
Long story short,
Sweetpants- phone in pocket- somehow it made its way to take a bath.

It was only in for a few seconds and then I rinsed it off, powered off, dried it, dried out the plugs and holes (found a year worth of lint in the headphone plug lol) cleaned up with alcohol wipes, hair dried out the Lightning plug , and let dry overnight.

No problems at all and I don't see water indicators changed either.

As Steve jobs said, it just works !

Reactions: AlphaHumanus

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Long story short,
Sweetpants- phone in pocket- somehow it made its way to take a bath.

It was only in for a few seconds and then I rinsed it off, powered off, dried it, dried out the plugs and holes (found a year worth of lint in the headphone plug lol) cleaned up with alcohol wipes, hair dried out the Lightning plug , and let dry overnight.

No problems at all and I don't see water indicators changed either.

As Steve jobs said, it just works !

Consider yourself lucky if all is well a week from now.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
How to stop water damage after a dip in the toilet? Put it in more water. Sorry, found that funny. Hopefully it survived.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2012
MA
Your lucky! The phone could have ended up in deep sh*t!

I accidently dropped mine in a cup of water for a couple of seconds months ago. It fell straight in so I think air pressure kept the water out.

karmatourer

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
In my house
Was the test with both yellow liquid and solid matter or just clear water? Kidding aside,if there is any doubt,put it in a container of uncooked rice when not in use.

btrav13

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2010
Oklahoma
Liquid damage does funny things to electronics, but as an employee in wireless, it seems only cell phone owners think there's a magic fix. If I took your 60 inch LED and dropped it in the pool, would you honestly put it in a humongous bin of rice?

Every singe time a piece of electronic equipment gets wet there is a chance it will work and a chance that it won't. There is no magic "fix" for phones that makes them work again. TV, computer, laptop, XBOX, any of it...there is no magic fix and you will have the same result. It might work, it might not work. It might work and now and act up later. It's pure random luck and there's nothing you can do personally to stop it.

karmatourer

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
In my house
Liquid damage does funny things to electronics, but as an employee in wireless, it seems only cell phone owners think there's a magic fix. If I took your 60 inch LED and dropped it in the pool, would you honestly put it in a humongous bin of rice?

Every singe time a piece of electronic equipment gets wet there is a chance it will work and a chance that it won't. There is no magic "fix" for phones that makes them work again. TV, computer, laptop, XBOX, any of it...there is no magic fix and you will have the same result. It might work, it might not work. It might work and now and act up later. It's pure random luck and there's nothing you can do personally to stop it.
Except put it in a container of rice.It has worked for several clumsy people I know.

Slimmyhendrix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
MN
Did the exact same thing with my 6+ last month at the airport. I thought I came out unscathed for about 3 minutes. The phone froze, shut off, and never turned on again.

It sucks fishing a phone out of any toilet - but trust me, a public airport toilet is even worse. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise that I had to replace the phone. :eek:
Ya I was lucky because I was at home and had access to clean with alcohol wipes and blow dryer and what not.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
If you think about it, it's sad we have come to a point that we can't even take time out for a number one or number two without being on our devices. Course depending on what you were looking at, I could imagine a moment where holding onto phone might be challenge.

Wait a sec......we have a selfy stick, maybe there is a market for a headpod, device to hold phone in front of eyes attached to head. Leave hands free. Damn what an interesting accessory.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i left my iPhone 6 in the bath tub for ten minutes and it acted like nothing happened. the next day the speaker didnt working cuz it thought headphones were plugged in but even that fixed itself after another few days. the display ended up with really light smudgy shadows but after all i was impressed

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
i left my iPhone 6 in the bath tub for ten minutes and it acted like nothing happened. the next day the speaker didnt working cuz it thought headphones were plugged in but even that fixed itself after another few days. the display ended up with really light smudgy shadows but after all i was impressed
Strange place to leave phone. And here I always thought iPhones were like cats, and didn't take to water.

Reactions: ABC5S

Slimmyhendrix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
MN
It seems as if the ip6 is a lot more water tight. I haven't taken one apart yet but the 5c and 5s seemed to have some areas that could leak.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.