IPA font- Linguistics- OSX?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Dignan, May 9, 2003.

1. Dignan macrumors 6502a

May 28, 2002
    How do I get an IPA (international phonetic alphabet) font to work with microsoft word with osx?

2. shakespeare macrumors 6502

Apr 29, 2002
    Portland, Maine
    Wow, it's hard to believe I'm not the only person who knows what IPA is. I got my certification in Amsterdam a while ago. Transcribing Finnish is tough when you don't speak it!

Sadly, Word doesn't support OS X's built-in support for IPA extensions. (Perhaps you already know this, but if you want to see OS X's support for these things in an application that supports it, you'll need to open the Character Palette [activate it by checking its box in the "Input Menu" tab of the International Preference Pane, and then choosing it from the flag menu that appears in your menu bar], open up TextEdit, select View: All in the Character Palette, then find "IPA Extensions" under "Unicode Blocks." Double click the characters you want and they should appear in TextEdit.)

Again, this doesn't work in Word, because Word doesn't support Unicode. If you want to have IPA Extensions, you'll have to get a "fake," non-Unicode font, that includes the glyphs you want in the positions of the standard alphabet. Does that make sense? You can probably find one of these fonts if you look around.

May I ask why you want these?

Hope some of that helped!
  3. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

Dec 30, 2002
    Chicago, IL, USA
    just so you know...

i'm an ai pi ei geek too. (looses a little w/o the dipthong symbol. no?) we had to learn IPA 2nd semester sophmore year. edith skinner brand. whichever one it was that she subscribed to.
  4. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Feb 16, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    knowing how to do that on the computer would have made my life much easier last year... i was in the linguistics course "writing systems," and IPA was the first thing we learned...and we had to use it in all subsequent assignments in some form or another. alas, i had to write all my work out by hand (and my writing is not known for neatness)...
  5. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

Oct 28, 2001
    Greensboro, NC
    wow...if anyone finds an IPA font give us a link. being a voice student with plenty of diction classes, i need it like dammit. heres a nice reference tho.

6. shakespeare macrumors 6502

Apr 29, 2002
    Portland, Maine
    Is there some problem with these fonts? It's the first site that comes up if you search for IPA FONT under Google. There's one font that matches Times, one font that matches Univers, and another that seems to match Stone Serif. If you must use IPA in apps that haven't been carbonised, this seems like it would suit you nicely.