iPad 1 will no longer sync or charge when plugged into MBP

Discussion in 'iPad' started by simplemind, Oct 18, 2011.

1. macrumors member

UT (for the time being, cant leave soon enough)
    Ok, So I finally got around to updating the iPad to iOS 5 and when I go to plug in the iPad via the cable to my laptop (MBP) it will not charge or sync, and I dont hear the little "beep" when I used to plug it in. iTunes does not even register that a device is connected. At first I thought it might be my laptop so I plugged my iPhone in and voila, works every time (in all 3 ports as well) take the iPhone off, nothing. So I thought, I am going to use the cube charger that comes with the iPhone to see, sure enough, nothing, the ONLY thing that will charge it is the iPad charger itself.
    It sucks because all I have to do is get iOS 5 on it and I never have to plug it in again... at least I hope.

Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance!

2. macrumors newbie

Yup...

Go back and restore, but this maybe something else and only coincidental with the upgrade. I have had two friends iPad 1's do the same thing and Apple replaced.

3. thread starter macrumors member

sorry, I should have clarified, I have not been able to load iOS 5 because the iPad will not sync. I dont want to do a restore because if I do, it does not look like I would be able to re-sync. I have been trying to plug and unplug and I heard the beep one time, it was charging, but iTunes did not recognize the iPad....

4. thread starter macrumors member

anyone?

5. macrumors newbie

Similar problem

The aluminum case on my ipad 1 has worn to point that connector no longer stays engaged when disturbed. The ipad will not normally charge nor will it hook to desktop and be recognized. Realizing that this may be the cord only, I would like some feedback before investing in a new cord. Output on wall transformer seems to be OK and ipad will trickle charge overnight to 100%. I feel that the problem might also be the connector within the unit. As no one I know in my proximity has an idevice which would allow me to diagnose the problem further, could anyone out there suggest another trouble shooting course of action besides taking it to a Best Buys and plugging it in to their demo floor model cord?
    Thanx, MK :)