iPad 2 back already scratched!!! Any products to repair it?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by InfiniteLoopy, Apr 3, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

I've already scratched the back! I dragged it as I picked it up and there must have been something under it as it left it with a HUGE scratch on the back.

I remember back in the iPod days there were products which helped make scratches disappear. Does anyone have any advice?

At least it wasn't on the front!

:(

2. macrumors 68020

MattZani

On the iPods you polish the scratch out, can't really do that with the iPad.

Best advice is to buy a BSE for it, live with that one scratch as a lesson, ANYTHING can scratch it.

3. macrumors 68020

miamialley

Let's see a pic.

Slap a film on the back to prevent this in the future. You'll hardly know it's on there. (ie www.bodyguardz.com)

4. macrumors regular

ghostshadow

5. macrumors 6502a

drenline

That's always the risk of leaving ur iDevices naked. Always a possibility.

6. macrumors member

Yes but those are for chromed aluminium like the ipod touch back.

7. macrumors 6502

Karnivore

Back then many had moderate luck with Brasso.

8. thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh well.
    Not much I can do about it now. I guess I'll just be super careful.

9. macrumors 6502a

MrMac'n'Cheese

Get it swapped at the apple store, tell them it has bleeding and stuck pixels.

10. macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

you can always still get a case (which will protect AND cover the scratch)

or, depending on where the scratch is, get some nice looking decal

11. macrumors newbie

New Ipad 2 Arrived with Back Scratched

Upon arrival and removal from the cellophane sleeve, 5 scuffs and scratches were obvious on the back of the Ipad. I called Apple to make it a matter of record and to make sure they knew it was a quality control issue.
    I hadn't planned on returning it but they offered to replace it. One hour later I called and agreed to that..

They were courteous and said there have been issues with some slipping through with scratches.
    Not surprising with the production demands their factories have.
    Pic attached.

Attached Files:

12. macrumors 68000

3goldens

You OCD's out there need to either get protection out of the box or find suitable medication to help you get over these little bumps in the road.

There is now way to fix this, and if you use steel wool, MY GOD MAN what were you thinking, joke I hope.

Things get scratched, get over it.

13. macrumors 6502

Now is the time to buy a fun case that protect (hides) part of the back.

Chalk it up as lesson learned.

I always had a case on my iPad 1 (InCase jacket) but even with slightly exposed corners, one somehow got a "ding".

14. macrumors member

This.

15. macrumors 6502a

Don't use Brasso! You'll polish through the anodized layer and be left with a shiny spot that looks worse than the scratch itself.

16. macrumors newbie

The Apple production line could use a little "OCD" and package them up undamaged. If this were the case, then an out-of-the-box protective backing would then be worth the 30 or 40 bucks. But when they arrive already damaged,.... It's Apple's turn to Man-Up.:D

17. macrumors 6502

If you didn't cover the back, then it was just a matter of time. You got what was coming.

This is why most people get a proper case or at least a skin rather than going for the Steve Jobs look (scratched back with smart cover).

18. macrumors newbie

Apple shipped new one via Overnight FedEx.. Arrived next morning from Pennsylvania to Oregon...
    Thanks Apple... :) Nice Work! Thanks FedEx ! Thanks Empire !:D:D

19. macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I wanted to chime in and say that two permanent blemishes have appeared due to the leather Smart Cover.

I'll attach pictures but am interested to hear Genius feedback. It's precisely where the bar meets the hinges.

20. macrumors 6502

Cristian

Sorry to hear that. Like stated above they scratch ver easy. I would add a cover of some sort to the back or the whole thing.. That's just me though I can't have my iPad without a case.

21. macrumors 6502

As a good Mommy I say "Band Aid"
    Did you not plan on using it?
    Lucky it's not the screen !

22. macrumors newbie

Installed Clear skin from Bodyguardz.com on the back. (ID info labeling under skin) Anti glare screen shield on the front. Very Happy with Both...
    Came out very nice but follow directions ExacTly... Very tedious. Wait 12 hours after applying before operating Ipad.

I had too much dust in the room.... Use as clean an environment as possible...

Attached Files:

23. macrumors 68000

Daremo

It wouldn't be MacRumors unless someone offered some dishonest advice.

24. macrumors 6502

Any of the skins will minimize it, I prefer Best Skins Ever as they "glide" better. ZAGG is too sticky for my tastes...

25. thread starter macrumors 6502

I got it on launch day and to my knowledge, there were no back covers available ...

It actually seems that manufacturers are only now shipping their back covers.
    Does anyone have any recommendations as to which ones fit well and work with smart cover?

Thanks