iPad 2 Cases

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Macdude2010, Feb 21, 2011.

1. macrumors 65816

Mar 17, 2010
    The Apple Store
    Hello Everyone,

As everyone gets more and more excited for the iPad 2 announcement drawing nearer there is one question that pops up when you get it.
    That question is "What Case?"

What iPad cases do you think will come out at the iPad 2 launch?

(I think that most of the Belkin and Griffin iPad 1 cases will be available for iPad 2 at launch due to the fact that they have all the new iPod cases at the iPod launch)

One more question
    Do you think we could use the iPad 1 screen protectors with the iPad 2?
  2. macrumors 68030

May 3, 2010
    The one feature almost everyone agrees will be on the next iPad is a FaceTime camera. So unless you're prepared to precisely cut out a hole for a camera it's a safe bet that current-gen screen protectors won't work.

As an aside, neither I nor my wife have ever used a screen protector and we've both had our iPads since launch. If it makes you feel better, buy one, but I don't think it's necessary.
  3. deeddawg, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011

macrumors 603

Jun 14, 2010
    Can you use one? Probably.

Will it be an exact fit or the best solution? Probably not.

For me, this sort of stuff is another reason why I think there's benefit to being patient and letting a new device has some time on market before buying; that allows for accessory makers to catch up, get some price competition going, and allows you to source the items like cases and screen protectors at less than retail cost. Yes, it's only a few bucks, yes it can be difficult to wait if there's a new whiz-bang feature you've been dying to have, but if you're patient and not one who must have the new one right away it's something to consider.

IMHO once you get a couple weeks past launch nobody cares who got theirs the first week. :)
  4. macrumors newbie

Feb 16, 2011
    When they announce it, Apple will post hardware dimensions on its developer page. Case makers will have time to make it before release.
  5. macrumors 68000

Jan 26, 2006
    Whitehouse, OH
    I'm already planning on picking up a Portenzo case as soon as they have an iPad 2 version available.
  6. macrumors member

Dec 20, 2010
    Washington, DC
    What are the best sites for iPad accessories?
  7. macrumors newbie

Feb 28, 2011
    I'm also looking for the most relevant case for an ipad 2. Do you guys have an idea ?
  8. macrumors 65816

Feb 24, 2008
    Case makers are probably scrambling about now.

I have a Piel Frama case for my iPad 1 and it is SOooo sweet.

Probably why Ill be keeping her for a little longer, or at least untill some nice leather cases come out for the iPad 2. I hated the stock case when i first got my ipad 1 (nothing else was availiable, early) so I HAD to get it for safety (kind of a waste of $30 beacuse I chucked it once others were availiable).

Have a funny feeling theres no way my old case will fit the slimmer iPad 2 so Ill just have to wait. No biggie. I just knew this was going to happen.
  9. macrumors 6502

Feb 23, 2008
    QLD, Australia
    Hey guys,

Silly question I know, I really don't like the Smart Covers that Apple have made for iPad 2, as much as I hated the original Apple case for iPad 1, at least it still protected everything INCLUDING the aluminium back, where as the new case only protects the front :(

I wonder if the new iPad 2 will fit the old Apple Case, and yes I know the rear camera won't be functional but at the least you could still use the front camera ?
  10. macrumors regular

Dec 16, 2010
    I recommend iLounge.com. They have a separate section for iPad accessories.
  11. richardmu, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011

macrumors 6502a

Oct 10, 2007
    Bristol, UK
    Is there a similar case to apple case for ipad 1 available for ipad 2?

I have has the apple case for my ipad from day 1. I quite like it apart from the rather uncomfortable to hold stickout edges. I has protected it from two drops, is functional and relatively cheap. I like a simple product.

The new apple smart cover looks good but I prefer a similar one-piece complete front and back protector very much like the old case, preferably with smooth edges! Anyone seen anything like this?
  12. macrumors newbie

Jul 28, 2010
  13. macrumors 6502

Jun 6, 2009
    Boston, MA
    i plan on doing this as well but I'm curious as to what they are going to do about the mic at the top (i assume leave a gap in the wood ala the dock port on the bottom) and the camera on the rear.....and the new speaker setup (which will probably work similarly to last model)

so many questions lol and as of now they are only accepting pre orders for late march shipping and none of the exotics / alanos seem to be available :-/
  14. macrumors member

Jul 27, 2009
    Im just hoping stock is quicker than the original cases that manufacturers came out with . I'm hearing 1-3 weeks from most. Looking forward to SGP, Griffin, and Marware the most.
  15. macrumors regular

Jun 5, 2010
    For me the iChair is in the lead at this point. Covers many needs and looks good doing it.

I have asked them to let me know when they have the 2 version available.

16. macrumors 6502a

Nov 3, 2009
    I love my Incase Convertible Book Jacket for my iPad 1...so much so that I plan to wait to get an iPad 2 until the updated Incase Book Jacket is available. Having said that, I'm surprised Incase hasn't said anything about what they're planning for the iPad 2.
  17. macrumors regular

Jun 5, 2010
    I like this one too. I figure there is a decent chance this might be available launch day. If so I am getting this. This with the ichair will cover most scenarios I can think of at this point.
  18. macrumors regular

Mar 4, 2011
    Incase is pretty much top of the line when it comes to quality Apple accessories. I'm sure they are going to wait to model with the ACTUAL iPad 2 before they release anything. Imo it says a lot about the company that they hold their standards to such high regard despite other companies already releasing "blind" designs.
  19. macrumors 601

Oct 20, 2008
    I doubt they'll be any good ones out the first couple months after release. If the iPhone 4 was any indication...
  20. macrumors newbie

Apr 14, 2011
  21. macrumors newbie

Mar 2, 2011
    I still recommend mine:
    Ion factory carbon case:
  22. macrumors 6502

Feb 20, 2011
    So many awesome choices.

I should have my DODO Limited Edition soon for review.

Less than a week (3 Business Days) turnaround from order to shipping notice.

Peace of mind not waiting for a Portenzo...priceless.
  23. macrumors member

Apr 25, 2011

I'm narrowing my search for cases down between the switcheasy and the Toblino. Does the Toblino case cover fold nicely so I can use the Ipad for reading my magazines? Wold you happen to have a picture? THANKS!
  24. macrumors regular

C0bra K0mmander

Jul 6, 2009
    New Jersey
    Can you supply us with pics of ur ipad in that case?
  25. macrumors 6502a

Jul 20, 2007
    Edmonton Canada