iPad 2 Display Dock Replicates Apple Retail Store Experience

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 28, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Released earlier this month by newPCgadgets, the iPad 2 Display Dock claims to replicate the Apple retail store iPad 2 experience by offering a clear acrylic display block for the latest iPad, holding the device at an angle in a sleek enclosure for ease of interaction.

[​IMG]

In addition to the iPad 2, the dock also contains an upright docking station for holding an iPhone or iPod touch.
    Priced at $74.95, the iPad 2 Display Dock may not be for everyone, but it is an interesting product that appears to do a decent job of replicating the clean lines and aesthetics of Apple's own product displays.

Article Link: iPad 2 Display Dock Replicates Apple Retail Store Experience

2. macrumors regular

Macopotamus

why?

3. macrumors 601

macduke

Because the company can get away with selling a $2 block of acrylic for $75. And people will buy it. That's why.

4. macrumors 6502a

chainprayer

Now where can I buy an authentic Genius Bar, complete with stools?

5. macrumors 6502a

6. macrumors demi-god

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

That picture is either doctor'd or they are showing pictures of an actual apple store display stand.

7. macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

I think they just make stuff like this so I can say I'm not a total crazy fan-boy.. I'm not trying to make my office look like an apple store.

OK..... so I waited in line for hours to get the new phone and stayed up late waiting to be able to order the new MBPthe minute it came out...

I DID NOT buy that stupid thing.. totally normal, I am :rolleyes:

8. macrumors member

don't forget about the $0.75 cord coming out of the back.

9. macrumors 6502a

IKEA, Genius's are extra

10. macrumors 6502

My thoughts exactly. Looks neat though.

11. macrumors regular

So how do the Apple displays (and this accessory) charge the iPad? They both don't use the dock connector...

Was just kinda wondering if Apple is using inductive chargers for their retail store iPad displays, or if there was something else I was missing.

12. macrumors G4

*LTD*

I love the look. I might just get one. It looks like a nice showpiece and a home for both your iPad and iPhone.

13. macrumors 6502

iSimx

They use a thin tape replacing the cable...

14. macrumors newbie

My experience tells me that a sheet of acrylic that thick is not anywhere close to $2.

A 50mm thick sheet of acrylic 620mm x 310mm, enough to make 3-4 stands, costs around £60 to £75+tax (Apx. $100 to $140!) depending on the supplier. Plus on top of material cost you need to add the flame polishing required to make the edges clear after cutting and any other costs to manufacture, package and retail the product. So at $75, this items price looks about right!

15. macrumors 6502

iSimx

yep agreed, acrylic sheets are quite expensive and so for a block, the price seems about right..

16. macrumors regular

Ahhh ok, that explains it. Thanks.

17. macrumors 604

gkarris

18. macrumors demi-god

ChristianJapan

19. macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Good eye, both photos on their site are definitely photoshopped from photos taken of the actual ones at the Apple store.

Take a closer look at this image on their site. It shows the back of the iPhone, but the "security device" is visible on the top right of the iPhone, but it just "disappears" from view because it was airbrushed out.

Plus the cables running to the stand are clearly the same "custom" cables that Apple which combines multiple dock cables into a thicker cable.

Until this company provides real photos I propose this is a scam, or at least not following very honest business practices.

[​IMG]

20. macrumors regular

'professionals' ... lulz :rolleyes:
    Even an Apple employee in Cupertino would laugh at that.

Apple Cupertino dev: "I'm an Apple professional."
    Apple Store retail sales drone: "Neato! I am too!"
    Apple Cupertino dev: "Riiiiiiggggghhhhtttt"

21. macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Yep case and point below. They know the die hard Apple fans like LTD would pay the price to show off there Apple Fandom.
    It is form over function time and time again.

22. macrumors newbie

You were off by about $150:
    http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=334&

You are actually saving about 50% by ordering this through Apple via Tap Plastics, considered pretty much the de facto producer of custom plastic.

Things, not always what you think.

23. macrumors 68000

And the tens of thousands of dollars in custom tooling required to produce what will almost certainly be a low-volume item.

24. macrumors newbie

That doesn't matter to Generation Web20.

Everything is the way they say it is, companies who make money are evil, and everything sucks except the stuff they like.

It's going to be entertaining when these guys grow up and have to actually work for a living.

25. macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

I could see this having real practical value as a sturdy, semi-stationary stand for an iPad. For people who like using an iPad at a desk, there seems to be real functional benefits.

Is there anything similar? My desk is probably too small, but I might look into this.