iPad 2 has yellow tinting issue! (Pics included)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jbg232, Mar 11, 2011.

1. macrumors 65816

jbg232

Just got back home with my shiny new iPad 2. Opened it up, turned it on, what do you know, quality control strikes again and there is yellow tinting at bottom of screen. Very visible on black background! Will have to return when they are in stock I guess....

Terrible quality photo (wanted to get this out quick) but on the left hand side about 1 inch up from the bottom left hand corner you can see the yellowing.

[​IMG]

2. macrumors 6502

doesn't even surprise me one bit....with multiple new launches a year (iphone, mbp, imac, ipad) QC has gone downhill. :mad:

3. macrumors regular

this again? :(:cool:

You realize it has to set still right?

4. macrumors regular

5. macrumors regular

my 32GB wifi has it too! ****!!! What do we do now?

6. macrumors P6

Intell

It isn't a quality issue. It's the glue curing. It will all be clear and proper in a few days. Source: iPhone 4 yellow issue at launch

7. macrumors 6502

iMattcotv

Guys relax please, my iPhone 4 had the same thing, it just goes away after a few days.

There is no need to take it back, relax.

Those who read this, spread the word so that people dont explode.

8. macrumors regular

Ok, thanks! I didn't have this issue w/ my i4 or iPad 1, but I did hear something about it.

9. macrumors 6502

Put your magnetical magical coverette on and you wont even notice it.

10. macrumors 6502

riot?

email steve
    but his response will probably be:

"your looking at it wrong"
    -steve

(sillllly silly steve)

honestly, go back to the store ASAP and demand a new one, I would open it up there in front of the genius/tech to ensure you get a good one...repeat until solution is solved....hopefully they aren't all like this

11. macrumors 65816

Come on folks, I know it's an emotional day but we've been here before. Give it a couple of days to see if the problem goes away ala iPhone 4, if not take it back for warranty replacement. There, done, problem solved and no big drama.

12. macrumors 6502

Like that'll make a difference. Haters gonna hate and all that.

13. macrumors 6502

If you ask nicely perhaps they will give you a free bumper.

14. macrumors 6502a

15. macrumors 6502a

it has nothing do with glue

16. macrumors regular

For what it's worth, I got a 32gb black iPad and it also has the yellow tint at the bottom of the screen. Hopefully it goes away.

17. macrumors P6

Intell

If the yellow disappears after a few days, then logic dictates it is glue as proven with thousands of iPhone 4's.

18. macrumors 65816

henrikrox

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; nb-no) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Oh my god. This again. Same with iPhone 4. Will clear up in some days.

God

19. macrumors newbie

Same thing here with a 16gb black. It looks like yellow lights at the bottom of the screen are lighting it up. Hope it clears up.

20. macrumors 6502

Crunch

I got my iPad 2 today and thought that there was a difference between the iPad 1 and 2's "whiteness levels", so to speak. I've seen this before. The iPad 1, my particular model anyway, has an incredibly sharp and super bright white screen.

Conversely, I want to say that the iPad 2's white screen has slight "yellowish" undertones, doesn't it? I'm doing apples-to-apples comparisons, e.g. the Settings --> WiFi page, which is consists of lots of white background. The iPad 2 does not appear as super crisp as the iPad 1. They're definitely not identical. Are they calibrated differently maybe? I'm not even saying it's bad. There may be a lot of people who prefer the iPad 2's "warmer" white to the iPad 1's.

I've seen this before with BlackBerry's and it's driving me crazy. The iPad 2 has a "warmer" white "tone" to it, maybe that's a better way to describe it.

You really think this is going to go away???

21. macrumors 6502a

22. macrumors member

It isn't your imagination. I have the exact same problem with 2 of my 3 new ipad 2s. Both my white and black 64gb models have this yellowish overall tint. It isn't on one particular area of the screen. It is the whole screen. My son's white 32gb ipad 2 has a brilliant whitish/blue screen.

I also have lights bleeding from many sides on all iPads.

23. macrumors 6502

Crunch

Alright, I feel somewhat relieved, as it can be remedied by a simple exchange (if I can find one, right? :rolleyes:) Is that what you would suggest?

I also have very slight light bleeding and yes, on both iPad 1 and 2. Even though I am extremely sensitive to *ANY* small screen issue on any of my devices (iMac, iPad, iPhone, ThinkPad laptop, whatever...), the iPad screen bleeding is something I can live with.

However, this "yellowish overall tint" as you so ably described it, I cannot tolerate. What about you? Have you decided to do anything about it?

Btw, I bought mine online and got it in only 2 business days. A whole lot of good that did me. :( Will I be able to swap it out at an Apple store? I really don't want to have to go through shipping this thing back and forth.

24. macrumors regular

Mine has a very small backlight bleeding on th eleft side so I decided to take mine back to the Apple store and see what they would say. It wasn't that bad of bleeding but wanted to get their opinion. Met with the genius guy that took my iPad2 to the back room and came back in less than 5 min with a brand new unopened box saying he would exchange it. I asked if they were getting many people with that problem and he said mine was the first one he actually saw it in the store. The new one was perfect with no backlight bleeding at all.

25. macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

They all have backlight bleeding:(