iPad iPad 2 on 6.1, good performance?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dickie001x, Jan 30, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Feb 13, 2008
    I'm currently on 5.1.1.
    Shall I stay on that or upgrade to 6.1?
    Any thoughts?
  2. macrumors regular

Aug 15, 2008
    Norwich, UK
    No problems

I've been running the 6.1 betas for a while now, on my iPad2, and have absolutely no issues. Go for it!

3. macrumors regular

Dec 16, 2012
    Yeah, on my Mini I actually noticed a bit of a speed increase on day to day things. I think they improved the WiFi issue even more from 6.0.2.

So far, I would be happy if they didn't put anything else into 6.x until 7 comes out.
  4. macrumors 68040

Aug 8, 2008
    I think the iPad 2 will enjoy a longer than usual life for an iOS device.
  5. macrumors 6502a

May 3, 2011
    ipad2 on 5.1.1 JB

no plans to upgrade to iOS 6.x at any time. all my apps work fine and i want to continue to enjoy the extra benefits of the jailbreak - custom gestures, easier to read fonts, password protected app folders, etc.

i use the ipad for light web browsing, VPN, RDP, reading, movies, and for an occasional song or two - iOS 6 doesn't improve on these features, so why upgrade? 6.x supported features for the ipad2 is minimal and mostly just adds bloat. YMMV.

6. macrumors 6502a

May 17, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    The iOS 6.x jailbreak is slated to be released on Super Bowl Sunday.
  7. macrumors 68040

May 15, 2007
    I waited awhile to update my iPad 2 to iOS 6, primarily due to reports of poor battery life. Honestly it was a bunch of bunk. Battery life is better for me than it was running iOS 5. Performance wise it runs the same on iOS 6 as it did on iOS 5.

There's really no reason not to upgrade unless you want to keep the some of the original wallpapers, Youtube and Google Maps apps. If none of that matters to you then you should be real happy with iOS 6.

One thing I always do with a major update is to do a hardware reset after the OS install. :)
  8. macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    San Francisco
    No difference that I can see with respect to either battery life or performance from iOS 5 to 6 on my iPad 2. Both remain excellent.
  9. macrumors 6502a

Sep 16, 2008
    My mother's iPad 2, and my iPad mini have seen absolutely zero decrease in performance since it 6.1