Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aqua Bliss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
When I took my iPad2 out of the box on launch day, it had a small chip/dent in one of the corners. It's very small in size but it's bugged me ever since so made an appt today to go in and try to exchange it for a new one. They reluctantly agreed to exchange it (the genius said she couldn't even notice it - ah the irony). When they pulled out the new/sealed iPad2 that they had in stock (purely for exchange purposes), one of the corners on the new one had a dent of the same size in one of the corners, but it was even deeper to the point where the aluminum finish was gone and you could see all the way to the shiny metal. Again very small but even more noticeable than the one I brought in because the chip was deeper and the shiny metal gleamed in the light.

She said that was the only exchange unit they had on hand so I just decided to walk out with my original iPad2. Wanted to take a picture of it to post but I don't have an SLR and it doesn't show up well at all on my point and shoot.

Wondering if this is an epidemic. Can other iPad2 owners look at their devices and see if the corners are nice and tight against the glass without chips or dents?

camaroIOM

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2010
Ditto for me also on the corner. I talked about this yesterday in a posting. Didn't noticed when opening first day. That soft outer rim is very soft and most likely to get more without protection. To make matters worse when picking up Ipad couple days ago, lightly touched basket on counter and caused another nick on opposite corner.

I am looking into getting another case that will cover the edges better and mod the apple cover to work with. In the meantime don't gasp....I found that a Black marker covers that edge spot up nicely and looks even better to my eyes. Didn't care for the silver edge much. Everyone who handles cannot even tell

Aqua Bliss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
Ditto for me also on the corner. I talked about this yesterday in a posting. Didn't noticed when opening first day. That soft outer rim is very soft and most likely to get more without protection. To make matters worse when picking up Ipad couple days ago, lightly touched basket on counter and caused another nick on opposite corner.

I am looking into getting another case that will cover the edges better and mod the apple cover to work with. In the meantime don't gasp....I found that a Black marker covers that edge spot up nicely and looks even better to my eyes. Didn't care for the silver edge much. Everyone who handles cannot even tell

Wait your using a black marker on your silver corner? The chip/nick I'm talking about is right where the silver and black meet, but it is actually a chip on the silver part (not black part). Maybe I misunderstood.

rml4uk

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2008
I don't have this issue on any of the corners, but there are a couple of dings on the rim between the front camera and the headphone jack. I also have some pretty bad backlight bleeding. I'm going to wait a week or two and exchange it at the Apple Store (for the backlight bleeding). I only notice the dings because I'm a perfectionist :)

Gav$ter

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2010
My iPad 2 64GB wifi has no dings and no scratches. Also the screen is perfect with no bleeding at any brightness level. It still amazes me that when I lay my iPad 2 next to my iPad 1 then iPad 2 screen looks far superior. I know you will tell me the screen specs are the same. But the iPad 2 screen is crisper, more vibrant and the fonts look smoother.

RadicalxEdward

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
This has been reported a few times on the forum (and there are pictures of it) it's definitely something you have to bring up right away.

It kinda sucks that the first thing i'm gonna have to do when my ipad arrives is inspect it rather than enjoy it.

secondcup

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
This has been reported a few times on the forum (and there are pictures of it) it's definitely something you have to bring up right away.

It kinda sucks that the first thing i'm gonna have to do when my ipad arrives is inspect it rather than enjoy it.

From what I've read on this post, and a few others, it sounds like Apple has a quality control issue with the iPad2.

Durious

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
If I haven't noticed it I'm not going to bother scanning for it because than it would bug me to see... :p

And I'm sure my experience of the product would remain... I get your point though cause likely since you know it's there you are constantly scanning for it or staring in the corner of your eye. Lol

Durious

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
From what I've read on this post, and a few others, it sounds like Apple has a quality control issue with the iPad2.

Pretty annecdotal comment to make especially considering the purchases were at the same store meaning possibly same production line... And just watch YouTube unboxings for it there are TONS that would give you a better understanding of quality control since the regions are different. Not disagreeing just saying there's only a few posts here and 500k - 1 million products out there.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
There was another topic yesterday showing the same problem. The guy had a deep gash in the corner. Sounds like the workers werent being completely careful when handling some.

camaroIOM

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2010
Wait your using a black marker on your silver corner? The chip/nick I'm talking about is right where the silver and black meet, but it is actually a chip on the silver part (not black part). Maybe I misunderstood.

When looking at the Ipad screen head on there is silver edge. I took a black marker and went around the silver edge on my ipad. I like the look and cannot even tell marks are there now. Looks like it came that way from the factory. Took couple of times to get looking right

djltoronto

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2009
When I took my iPad2 out of the box on launch day, it had a small chip/dent in one of the corners. It's very small in size but it's bugged me ever since so made an appt today to go in and try to exchange it for a new one. They reluctantly agreed to exchange it (the genius said she couldn't even notice it - ah the irony). When they pulled out the new/sealed iPad2 that they had in stock (purely for exchange purposes), one of the corners on the new one had a dent of the same size in one of the corners, but it was even deeper to the point where the aluminum finish was gone and you could see all the way to the shiny metal. Again very small but even more noticeable than the one I brought in because the chip was deeper and the shiny metal gleamed in the light.

She said that was the only exchange unit they had on hand so I just decided to walk out with my original iPad2. Wanted to take a picture of it to post but I don't have an SLR and it doesn't show up well at all on my point and shoot.

Wondering if this is an epidemic. Can other iPad2 owners look at their devices and see if the corners are nice and tight against the glass without chips or dents?

Care to share a picture of this?

CBlake82

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2010
Seattle, WA
Well I got mine this morning. Noticed a small knick on the back near the apple logo. It was so small I didn't want to make a fuss about it. Later after syncing, I noticed another knick right by the glass. Begin frustration. Then I saw this thread. Inspected my corners and sure enough the bottom left corner has a sizable gash. Was using the iPhone sized app to setup a genius appt and noticed the light bleed. The weird thing about the light bleed for me is that it occurs exactly where the magnets are placed for the smart covers. Anyway I'm on a rant. Sorry. Got to my appt with the genius. He took it back to test for light bleeds. It does qualify for exchange however they are not doing any replacements because they only have units from the same batch. Due to this issue they are letting me keep this one until a new batch of units arrive. All in all I am happy that the service was so great and that I get to keep this iPad until I get a new one. Good luck to those of you with problems.

Aqua Bliss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
When looking at the Ipad screen head on there is silver edge. I took a black marker and went around the silver edge on my ipad. I like the look and cannot even tell marks are there now. Looks like it came that way from the factory. Took couple of times to get looking right

OK I see what you mean now. I'd like to try this. can you let me know what kind of marker you used, is it wearing off after a couple days or stays black?

Will try to post pics of my chip tonight.

chronovial

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2008
Just to add on this thread, I got a white iPad 2 AT&T and had one chip on the corner end on the white plastic border... not really that noticeable and doesnt affect usage but just bothers me somewhat...

I am wondering how the exchange would go since the demand for these things are so high right now...

tnthahn1

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2011
Dented corner on new iPad 2

Recently purchased a new iPad 2 and saw that a corner was dented where you could see silver missing and see down to black. My sister was with me and she saw the dent and said that she recently had the same problem with her new ipad2 and the dent looked identical. Apple accepted her return and I plan to do the same. So inspect your new ipad2 corners well when it arrives!

Nikitamg

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011
Same here.
I first noticed the dent on my friends 16 gb wifi. She thought that her bf dropped it and he doesnt want to admit to it lol. But when i saw her dent I told her right away that it looks too "perfect" to be done by a drop.
Now... My story.
Got my 64 gb wifi in may. Perfect condition. I dropped it by accident while getting out of the car and the glass shattered:mad:. I found on this forum that apple does one time exchange for this kind of problems. So i asked my earlier mentioned friend to take it back to Chicago apple store and to see if they can exchange it. Sure enough they did !!! :D
Just 2 days ago my friend came back with my new ipad ..... And top right corner has a huge dent just like on her ipad. To the point that the dark metal is showing and there is a gap between glass and white plastic rim.

Now I'm thinking to sent my friend back with both of our ipads for another exchange. We'll see if they will do another exchange for me as for her it will be a first one. "fingers crossed"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.