iPad iPad 2 Owners. Holding out 1 more cycle or upgrading?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thedeejay, Aug 2, 2013.

  1. macrumors 65816

    thedeejay

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2012
    Location:
    Toronto, Canada.
    #1
    Hey you guys,

    As we all know (according to rumors) the "iPad 5 or 5th gen" is going to be released. Now I'm confused on what to do. Hold out one more year or upgrade. I'm usually the type of person who holds out on their products until I really need to upgrade. So I'm taking a few things into account: iOS 7 on iPad 2, is it like iOS 6 on iPod 4? Cuz that was terrible for me. Still is as I own an iPod 4. I'm thinking my resale value for my iPad is already crappy so I should hold on to it anyways? What do you guys thing. Any suggestions? What would YOU do? Plus my next iPad, I'm thinking 16 plus LTE so reselling my iPad is what I'm going to do to fork out the extra $ for LTE/cellular.

    Cheers,
    thedeejay
     
  2. macrumors 68000

    sonicrobby

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2013
    Location:
    New Orleans
    #2
    Some of the features such as paralax will be missing from the iPad2 on iOS7. I would say I think youve earned an upgrade, you will get a new form factor, better internals, siri, and benefit from all the features of iOs7
     
  3. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2012
    #3
    Upgrading my 32GB iPad 2.

    I need the iPad to be lighter. If you've held a Mini, you'd want something in the same weight range.
     
  4. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2012
    Location:
    Seattle
    #4
    if and when it comes out, buy it from store like best buy ... which refunds 100% on return product. Use it for a week, compare it with the iPad 2. keep it if its worth the upgrading other wise return it.
     
  5. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2012
    #5
    Upgrading for sure..... The battery on my 2 is starting to drain faster and faster..
     
  6. macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2007
    #6
    I think it might be time to upgrade from my iPad 1...

    OK honestly it's been way past time, but the 2 just wasn't enough, the 3 was hot, the 4 was too much like the 3...I think the 5 will be radical enough to make it worth it.
     
  7. kaielement, Aug 2, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2013

    macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Dec 16, 2010
    #7
    I am currey running iOS 7 beta on my iPad 2 32gb model. So far no issues like we saw with iOS 6 on the iPod and iPhone 3GS and 4. Seems to run smoothly. It may not have all the features but as far as it goes so far no real issues other then a few apps not working. But that should be fixed once the real version comes out in the fall. That being said if I had the money I would totally upgrade so that I had all the new specs lighting conector and well you know just an over all faster iPad. Just my two cents lol.
     
  8. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2013
    Location:
    RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!
    #8
    Yeah, this. From my experience iOS 7 runs just fine on all A5 devices. It shouldn't be an issue with the iPad 2.
     
  9. macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2010
    #9
    Don't tell that to Tim Cook. Apple will see even lower numbers for the iPad. At some point you got to figure that updating old tabs like the iPad 2 will back fire on Apple. I would expect the iPad 2 to be discontinued from upgrades in 2014 just to get people to open their wallets.
     
  10. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2013
    #10
    I've still got an iPad 2 since it first launched (it's like 2 years and 4 months old, right?). I definately feel I'm due an upgrade largely for the benefit of a retina display so then I can subscribe to NewScientist magazine on my iPad :) and actually be able to read the text easily. The icons in the status bar on iOS7 don't look great on my iPad 2. It's like Apple haven't really gave much thought about refining icons for the lower-resolution displays. They look fine on iOS6. I think the status bar icons have slightly decreased in size though, so that would partly explain why they don't look as crisp.
     
  11. macrumors 68040

    Badrottie

    Joined:
    May 8, 2011
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #11
    This. That is why I am ready to upgrade if the iPad 5 is really light and better features. :apple:
     
  12. macrumors 68020

    TacticalDesire

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2012
    Location:
    Michigan
    #12
    If it works for you and does everything you need it to do I wouldn't bother upgrading. I always try and find excuses as to why I should upgrade when in reality, my devices work just fine.
     
  13. macrumors 68000

    Medic311

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2011
    #13
    if it ain't broke, don't replace it lol

    if i were you and you've been fine without a Retina screen, i would keep the iPad 2
     
  14. macrumors 6502

    preyan

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2007
    Location:
    Planet Earth
    #14
    Upgrade. Besides additional features, I need more space :D
     
  15. macrumors 6502

    colodane

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2012
    Location:
    Colorado
    #15
    I will most certainly upgrade to another 32 GB cellular version. The iPad2 works fine, but excited and ready for the newer hardware features and native IOS7. But will feel obligated to wait until the next mini announcement to make sure I want the 5 rather than the new mini.
     
  16. macrumors member

    KittiFatale

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2011
    Location:
    Helsinki, Finland
    #16
    I've been wanting to upgrade my iPad 2 (64GB WiFi+3G) for some time now, especially after being exposed to the retina display on the iPhone 4 and 5. It still works great and still looks flawless. Hopefully I'll get a good sale value on it.
     
  17. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 3, 2010
    #17
    My 32gb wifi 2gen is still alive and kicking but the limitations of 512mb ram is beyond irratating with the constant page reloads in safari. Also having to be very conscious with the amount of apps running.

    Along with the weight reductions, Doubling the RAM to 2GB will be enough to make me bite the bullet. Looking at replacing my current with a 64GB cellular version.
     
  18. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2011
    Location:
    UK
    #18
    I'll get a new ipad from this cycle only if I decide to go mini.

    If not, I'll stick with 2 for now - thriftiness is partly because I am unsure if a full size iOS or Windows 8 tablet is better for me.
     
  19. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2011
    #19
    I'm in the same position. It ain't broke. It's only been two years. See how ios 7 goes on ipad 2. But next year might be our upgrade year I think.
     
  20. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2009
    Location:
    UK
    #20
    Most definitely replacing my 32GB iPad 2. Reasons I didn't upgrade to the 3rd or 4th generation were the additional size, weight and longer charge periods. If the 5th generation is thinner and lighter, I'll be happily joining the retina crowd.
     
  21. macrumors regular

    tiptopp

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2008
    Location:
    Norwich, UK
    #21
    Upgrading

    I have iOS7 on my iPad 2, and am not really happy with it. But I also use it a lot to watch TV and video, so want retina. And more space (I've got 16Gb).

    So I'll be getting iPad 5, at least 32Gb, with LTE (I only have Wifi so have to use a Mifi to get internet access at work - costing £15 a month). Vodafone keep trying to give me a 'free' iPad 4 on a fairly good contract - I've told them to keep the offer open for the 5!

    My daughters are quite excited about me having a new one - as they think they're getting the 2!

    Tiptopp
     
  22. macrumors 603

    cambookpro

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2010
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #22
    Definitely upgrading my iPad 2. Really hoping it's lighter with the smaller bezels.
     
  23. macrumors regular

    td1439

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2012
    Location:
    Boston-ish
    #23
    I'm finding myself in a bit of a pickle here. I currently have an iPad 2 that I use for work. I'm a teacher, and my school is moving to a 1:1 iPad program for our 3 oldest grades. I've agreed to sell my iPad to the school for $200, and I will put that money towards a new iPad for myself. My conundrum lies in the anticipated release date of the iPad 5. Given the expected features, I would really prefer to get the 5. However, the news that the next iPhone version is expected to be introduced in mid-September makes me wonder if they are going to wait until October to even announce the 5, and I'm not sure I can go that long with no iPad at all (obviously I will need to get my current iPad to the school by the first week of September when the students return).

    Is it even remotely possible that Apple has the iPad 5 available for sale by early October?
     
  24. macrumors 68020

    SactoGuy18

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2006
    Location:
    Sacramento, CA USA
    #24
    If the new iPad 5th generation has both a iPad mini-like case along with the Retina Display, I'm definitely upgrading. :D
     
  25. macrumors 6502a

    blackburn

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2010
    Location:
    Where Judas lost it's boots.
    #25
    Not upgrading or holding out another cycle for that mater.
    My iPad 2 doesn't get enough use to warrant an update, and it works fine as is.
     

Share This Page