Ipad 2: Sarfari will not play youtube videos

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Fee, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Fee
    macrumors newbie

Hey all

Anyone else ever have this problem with there ipad/ipad 2? Sarfari will not play youtube videos on Youtube's mobile site, it just plays the audio only of the video i selected. Anyone know what the deal is?

2. macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

just tried it, and you're right... Only tried the one, mind.

3. Fee
    thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh so it might be something up with youtube then?

Works fine on my iPhone 4 thou

4. macrumors newbie

Has anyone else looked into this? It was working fine for me this morning, then all of a sudden at lunch time, it went down for me. Its like the HTML 5 translation is messed up with Youtube. Is everyone having this problem with the IPAD 2?

5. macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

6. macrumors newbie

Are you still having the problem, and if you are could you do it before today?

7. macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

8. macrumors regular

Having same problem with iPad 1. Definitely a YouTube issue. Never had any problems before tonight.

9. macrumors 6502

westernmass

Thought just me. Actually anything on my friends Facebook page would normally open YouTube and the video. Now opens YouTube mobile and doesn't go to the video just the YouTube home page.

10. macrumors newbie

That's good to know. I thought all day it was something I did to mess it up. Thanks for the response guys.

11. macrumors member

Glad to hear others are having issues as well! YouTube stopped working on my iPad 1 today and I have a two-year old going crazy. She needs her evening YouTube fix. They better fix this soon. Let's hope it is not Google pulling the plug on H.264 and going WebM only...shudder.

12. macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

They all have little question marks on them too...

[​IMG]

13. macrumors newbie

Same thing I was getting earlier. I can stop worrying about it now. Thanks guys. Hopefully they fix it soon, but I don't think enough people know it's an actual problem, s who knows the eta on ectually fixing it.

14. macrumors regular

kayno

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I came online to start a thread about this, wanted to see if it was happening to anyone else. I have the iPad 2 running 4.3 and I'm glad to see others are experiencing it. YouTube might be having some issues, also noticed that it worked on my iPhone 4 as well.

15. macrumors newbie

The biggest difference between the phone and the pad is that the phone defaults everything to the YouTube app, while the pad used to be able to play it while embedded.

16. macrumors regular

kayno

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

True when u click on a link.. But if u go on the web you Get to use the mobile site and it works there on the iPhone 4.

17. macrumors 65816

Playing YouTube video

I bought my iPad when they first came out and if I remember correctly a thread like this started back then also. The answer I believe was that you needed to use the YouTube app included with the iPad.

Just now I launched the YouTube app and played a video and it worked just fine. Then I launched Safari and went to the YouTube web site and when I attempted to play a video all I got was the audio soundtrack.

I don't know why it works this way but I believe it has been like this from the beginning.

18. macrumors regular

kayno

Not the case, youtube mobile website has always worked, when you first got the iPad, they only had desktop YouTube and that required flash, that's why you had to use the app. Now you don't. This issue just started today.

19. macrumors member

sublimeguide

Apparently the problem is for all the mobile youtube. However when a video is embeded i have no problem with playing it but when i have to go to the actual site it start to play only the audio. I hope someone have reported this to google and they fix it soon.

20. macrumors newbie

How would someone even go about letting them know. There doesn't
    Seem to be a function to inform them of problems.

21. macrumors regular

Everyone still having problems with this? Very frustrating.

22. macrumors regular

Is everyone using 4.3?

The 4.3 Safari broke something in the POST/Authentication mechanism. That might be causing the issue.

23. macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

I think its a youtube issue. The ios can't have influence on the videos

24. macrumors newbie

In was doing it fine yesterday on safari 4.3 no problem, since the iPad 2 comes with it. And yes, it's still a problem today.

25. macrumors member

sublimeguide