iPad 2 Smart Cover Teardown Reveals 21 Magnets

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 14, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Noted teardown firm iFixit reported today that it has performed a teardown of the Apple's highly-publicized Smart Cover for the iPad 2, revealing a plethora of magnets inside the device to keep it aligned on the surface of the iPad and to turn the iPad on and off.
    Long, thin magnets are embedded in the sides of the iPad in order to hold the Smart Cover firmly in place on the left side and keep the cover closed on the right side.

[​IMG]

iPad 2 sleep sensor (red) and magnets for keeping cover closed (yellow)
    A single round magnet in the rightmost panel of the Smart Cover interacts with a sleep sensor embedded in the right edge of the iPad to turn the iPad on and off as the cover is opened and closed.

[​IMG]

Steel plate (red) and 15 magnets (yellow) interact to stabilize stand
    The Smart Cover is broken into four panels to allow it to fold into a triangular shape to serve as a stand. A total of 15 magnets in the rightmost panel of the cover are used to bond to a steel plate in the leftmost panel to stabilize the stand.

Apple offers polyurethane Smart Covers in five colors priced at $39 each, with leather covers also available in an additional five colors for $69 each.

Article Link: iPad 2 Smart Cover Teardown Reveals 21 Magnets

2. macrumors member

ApplLover

Im concerned that this cover wont provide protection for the backside of my iPad.. leaving it open for scratches and scuffs.. Any thoughts on this?

3. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Really? The 31 other threads about this weren't enough.

4. macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Since it's only magnets and we can see their location, I would love to see a 3rd party manufacturer come up with a case (not cover) using this. The case for my iPad has been extremely helpful on the 2 occasions it has fallen - thankfully from a low height. The cover would have done nothing to keep it from getting dings or scratches. A case that would also put it to sleep and wake it up would be really cool.

5. macrumors member

Gotta admire all the work they have put into this. Still that many magnets is crazy. now we know why they cost so much!

6. macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

A teardown of a cover! :eek:

7. macrumors 6502a

I really like my cover a lot. Its so nifty and functional. Its a little overpriced (particularly the leather one), but I love it.

8. macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Well, at least there is something there to justify the cost. Makes the 29$ they are charging for the bumper look even more silly.

9. macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

wow a teardown of a cover? these guys have way too much time on their hands

10. macrumors 68030

Popeye206

Nifty cover. I love how much thought seems to have gone into this.

However, I think I'd want a full case cover over just the screen. But still cool.

11. macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

So does this mean that apple may be building a case for the phone just like they did for the Ipad right from beginning to end?

12. macrumors regular

Who cares

It's a device that's meant to be used and handled. Does it matter?

13. macrumors 6502

It makes me nervous. I remember when magnets were the mortal enemy of data storage.

14. macrumors 603

notjustjay

I'm actually quite happy with my Apple iPad cover for the first iPad. It's very thin and functional. (My first one suffered from peeling issues, but Apple replaced it on the spot for me.)

If I buy an iPad 2 (or iPad 3) I'll need a similar full-body cover. I'm not convinced that I only want one layer on top of the screen without any consideration for the sides and back.

Don't be. That was only to protect floppy disks. Hard drives are technically susceptible to magnetic fields too but it takes a VERY large one to do any damage.

15. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Interesting info. I was on the fence about the iPad 2 before it was announced, but these covers are what pushed me over the edge. After spending all weekend with one I'm now sure I made the right choice. An iPad with a Smart Cover is a thousand times better than an iPad in those old leather cases.

I've been using aluminum Macbook Pros for years and I've never had any problems with their cases.

I have a sleeve for them in my bag to keep them safe in there, but other than that my laptop is unprotected. I've had no trouble keeping them in pretty good shape.

I don't see why an iPad would be any different.

16. macrumors 603

notjustjay

Well, MacBook Pros have little rubber feet on the bottom that elevate them, for one, so they're not always rubbing their actual backs on every table surface you set them down on. Plus you'd expect an iPad to be handled and moved around a lot more than a laptop.

17. macrumors 6502a

franswa za

makes me wonder how much weight the magnets and extra steel inside the ipad2 add

18. macrumors 65816

j-a-x

Is anybody worried that these magnets might potentially affect the data on a magnetic HD in a macBook stored next to an iPad? Or are they not strong enough for that?

19. macrumors member

I was very careful to open the packaging on my black leather Cover, because i did not think I would like it and would return it.

I am, however, very pleased with it. It folds nicely behind the ipad when in use and its does prop the iPad up nicely. A clean, minimalistic product.

The fitment and finish is very nice.

I will certainly be keeping it. :D

20. macrumors newbie

You're right. I was excited about the smart cover when it was announced, but I find that I rarely use it as a stand. Still kind of nice as a screen protector.

I definitely recommend getting a sleeve or bag in addition to the cover.

Here's a girl I found a few years ago who makes some pretty cool sleeves from old military uniforms: blytheking.com

21. macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Nice engineering. Fugly covers...every one of them.

22. macrumors 68000

BC2009

So I ordered the iPad 2 with the Smart Cover, but I think I would also like a sleeve that would fit the the iPad 2 with its smart cover on for when I am putting the iPad 2 in a bag or under the seat of the car.

I am looking forward to using the iPad without the bulk of a heavy case, but I still want some sort of sleeve to use when I am carrying or transporting the iPad from place to place (between usage).

23. macrumors newbie

I returned my leather one because I just couldn't justify paying that much for protection to half a device. *SMH*

24. macrumors 68040

So let me get this straight, when you actually bought the cover, you didn't realize it only covers half of the device, or you didn't realize how much it cost? :)

25. macrumors 6502a

itickings

If the magnets were strong enough to do that, you wouldn't stand any chance at all of removing the cover from the iPad...