Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eahdawn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
Hey guys,
going to purchase a tablet in the next week, but am undecided between the iPad and the Nexus 7. I realize this is an Apple-oriented forum, so please no bias in answering my question. :)

What would you purchase and why? Money isn't an issue for this purchase either. Thanks!

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Buy both from place with generous return policy, try them, and decide which to keep. Or keep both, if money really is no object. People can tell you the pros and cons of each, but only you can know which factors are most important to you.

Eahdawn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
Buy both from place with generous return policy, try them, and decide which to keep. Or keep both, if money really is no object. People can tell you the pros and cons of each, but only you can know which factors are most important to you.

Boom. Perfect reply. I will only be keeping one though! :) Thanks man!

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Depends on what you want, and how much you are willing to pay. Either $199 or $499. Is the iPad $300 better? In my opinion, no; however, its depends on what you will be using the tablet for.

Nexus 7 is the best 7" tablet
iPad 3 is the best 9.7" tablet

But, try out both and see which one you like better. Me personally, I'll get the Nexus 7 and save the $300 on something else.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
For me it would be a nexus 7. Although I have been in and out of the android ecosystem without any advantages (for me); mostly grievances, I would chose nexus 7 simply because of the portability. It's really not that bad.

I would defintely buy a 7.85" iPad mini over the nexus 7 though.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Personally, I'd wait until the fall to see if Apple does in fact come out with smaller iPad. Perhaps you won't buy it, but at least you'll have the opportunity to make that decision.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
When it comes to phones, it's a tough call between Nexus/Galaxy phones and the iPhone.
When it comes to tablets, I'm still not sold that they can match the iPad, other than in price. Especially a jailbroken iPad. I think Android is getting closer with the Asus TF300t and now the Nexus 7 with Jelly Bean, but still not quite there. The quality apps, the retina style display (which is really, really crystal clear), and the available cydia tweaks are bar none the best.
I think one more generation is what it will take to really put Android tablets in the game. And of course, there are the Window 8 style tablets coming, which could be good?

Jonx

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2004
I'm in the same boat, and can't make up my mind just because I haven't used Android before.

Nexus 7 is 7" and iPad is 10", they also use different operating system on them, if you have experience in either iOS or Android try to see if you like the other operating system if not try both.

iOS has consistent eco-system and quality apps because of it. android on the other hand is fragmented and not that much of quality apps but hopefully that will change with the popularity of nexus 7.

Another thing to consider is the storage capacity of them. Nexus 7" comes with 8GB and 16GB versions with no microSD slot, iPad on the hand comes with 16GB, 32GB and 64GB models.

if you want something more of a like a laptop go with iPad, if you want very portable and capable tablet go with Nexus 7.

I would say try them both and see how you like it but Nexus 7 is selling like hot cakes & every store out of stock lol

Good luck with your decision, let us know what you decide :)

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I have both and enjoy them equally.

They are distinctly different, even if they are both tablets. And that's why I like them. Apple is a pricey product, whereas the Nexus is a great deal. The build quality of the Nexus is just as nice as that of the iPad.

I don't need aluminum to impress people, which is why Apple uses it. There's a lot of advantages to high quality composite plastics these days. My Nexus doesn't scratch as easily as an iPad, nor does it dent.

The Nexus has a real file system like a computer, it's a terrific setup since it is not tethered to iTunes.

A true stand alone tablet, the Nexus has a lot of advantages.

Finally it looks like Apple is going to eat their words (they said they'd never make a 7" tablet) because the competition has proven there's a demand for a smaller, lighter model.

Too bad Apple blew the timing, otherwise I've have one right now.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
If you only want to watch movies or listen to music, the Nexus 7 is acceptable. If you want to do work, typing, email, or web, 10" tablets are way way better.

If you need to do work, iPad 3 is a good choice. If you need a 7", I'd at least wait a few months to see what Apple does. The Nexus 7 vs. iPad comparisons are kind of irrelevant until the 7" iPad comes out. 7" and 10" devices are very different, and aren't really directly comparable.

It's kind of like comparing a Honda Civic to a Ford truck. Both useful, but for very different purposes.

Destroysall

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2012
United States
If you only want to watch movies or listen to music, the Nexus 7 is acceptable. If you want to do work, typing, email, or web, 10" tablets are way way better.

If you need to do work, iPad 3 is a good choice. If you need a 7", I'd at least wait a few months to see what Apple does. The Nexus 7 vs. iPad comparisons are kind of irrelevant until the 7" iPad comes out. 7" and 10" devices are very different, and aren't really directly comparable.

It's kind of like comparing a Honda Civic to a Ford truck. Both useful, but for very different purposes.

Pretty much sums it all up. I would wait. However I would go with the OS you enjoy the most.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
For me it would come down to how it'll be used. My iPad is the main unit and I wouldn't be without it. I value the ecosystem, the display, and the LTE.

So far the Nexus 7 is a toy for me, but it is much more portable. It's certainly a nice size for video and book reading. Digital comics are ok too.. I understand that carriers are a curse, but it's still a shame that it doesn't have data service. It would be a super nice device to carry.

ref1

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2012
Nexus 7 is the best (android) 7 inch tablet
iPad is the best iOS tablet (because there's only 1 iOS tablet)
depends on what size you like and also what OS you want to use

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I have both and enjoy them equally.

They are distinctly different, even if they are both tablets. And that's why I like them. Apple is a pricey product, whereas the Nexus is a great deal. The build quality of the Nexus is just as nice as that of the iPad.

I don't need aluminum to impress people, which is why Apple uses it. There's a lot of advantages to high quality composite plastics these days. My Nexus doesn't scratch as easily as an iPad, nor does it dent.

The Nexus has a real file system like a computer, it's a terrific setup since it is not tethered to iTunes.

A true stand alone tablet, the Nexus has a lot of advantages.

Finally it looks like Apple is going to eat their words (they said they'd never make a 7" tablet) because the competition has proven there's a demand for a smaller, lighter model.

Too bad Apple blew the timing, otherwise I've have one right now.
Let's see some sales figures on the Nexus 7 before making this statement. Most of the 'benefits' you list really have nothing to do with the size of the device. Basically you prefer Android to iOS that's all. :)

nishishei

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2005
My Nexus doesn't scratch as easily as an iPad, nor does it dent.

Instead the nexus has a screen that lifts off from the left edge because the rubber/plastic back cover exerts too much tension on it.

And that nexus rubber back with the little holes in them is going to be a btch to clean when you get dirt and scum in it. It's going to look absolutely nasty in a few months of hand gripping.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
Instead the nexus has a screen that lifts off from the left edge because the rubber/plastic back cover exerts too much tension on it.

Remove the back cover, unscrew all of the screws slightly then screw them in evenly. This fix worked for me, and the screen is still perfectly flush all around three days later. I did this in 5 minutes in the comfort of my room- better than having to drive back to the Apple Store for a replacement iPad 3 due to the dust under the screen.

And that nexus rubber back with the little holes in them is going to be a btch to clean when you get dirt and scum in it. It's going to look absolutely nasty in a few months of hand gripping.

Tape or one of those handy wet wipes will do the trick.

wallpaper01

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2012
My iPad 3 is now on eBay after I purchased a Nexus 16gb.

Love it! Having never used Android I was really surprised how polished and fluid it was!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ishmumrhmn

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2012
It really depends on you. For me, android phones have always been better than iPhones, but in the tablet market, I would say the iPad is better.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Hey guys,
going to purchase a tablet in the next week, but am undecided between the iPad and the Nexus 7. I realize this is an Apple-oriented forum, so please no bias in answering my question. :)

What would you purchase and why? Money isn't an issue for this purchase either. Thanks!

Depends on what you prefer for size and price. You want a 9.7" tablet that cots $499 or a 7" for $199 up to $249?

I do love the screen on the iPad 3 but i really dont want to spend $499 for one and that for me is the biggest draw to it as i dont like using iTunes so id be fine with the Nexus 7 and its price.

You have to weigh your own options and preferences.

Misterbell

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2012
I have both but I find myself reaching for my nexus 7 more than my ipad. If you don't already have a nexus 7 on order you can forget about getting one in the next week or anytime soon unless its the 8GB. They're sold out everywhere

Eahdawn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
Luckily for me, both the Nexus 7 and iPad are widely available where I live (Ireland), so I could pick a Nexus 7 up without hassle today. Pity I can only get the 16GB version in stores, which is €260! ($315, ********* ridiculous really.)

After reading the comments and thinking about it for a while, I'm going with the iPad. The 10" retina display really seals the deal! The price gap between the iPad and the Nexus 7 isn't as harsh here, but I'll be getting the 32GB model, so that'll bump the price up a bit. Cannot wait to get my hands on this, should be awesome!

Thanks! :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My iPad 3 is now on eBay after I purchased a Nexus 16gb.

Love it! Having never used Android I was really surprised how polished and fluid it was!

What were you using the iPad 3 for, and what did the Nexus offer that the iPad 3 didn't do so well?

I'm on an iPad 1 and I'm waiting for the fall to see if apple releases a smaller unit. I found most of my oPad usage is bento, some games but mostly reading. This is where the nexus could fit my needs, if apple didn't release a smaller iPad

wallpaper01

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2012
What were you using the iPad 3 for, and what did the Nexus offer that the iPad 3 didn't do so well?

I'm on an iPad 1 and I'm waiting for the fall to see if apple releases a smaller unit. I found most of my oPad usage is bento, some games but mostly reading. This is where the nexus could fit my needs, if apple didn't release a smaller iPad

It was the smaller size that did it for me along with live widgets. I have a Windows Phone and the live tiles I find very useful for email, news, calendar and other. The widgets are very similar. I bought one for my girlfriend, set it up and when I went back to my iPad it felt really heavy for what I use it for and the lack of live things was the deal breaker. I was hoping in iOS 5 this was coming but it didnt.

Plus I was able to get a fair bit of money back on my iPad 3 so it paid for both mine and my girlfriends nexus! :D

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
i love my ipad, but playing with a 7 was way dope. tempted to buy one for the misses so i can justify having one ;)

jji7skyline

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2011
iPad. The screen on that thing is awesome, plus there's much more support. iPads have something like 68% of the market share in tablets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.