Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
I think it would be cool tech but I kinda feel like it would be too much to throw on developers at once. It's the same reason I don't think they'll release a smaller iPad at the same time as they introduce a retina display.

I do think that this would be an awesome feature though, but as others are saying I think it will be for an iPad down the road.

Usually when these product update announcement comes people build up a huge list of things that might happen. In reality usually only the top one or two end up being announced.

carrako

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2008
Technology looks very promising and would love to see it in apple products. BUT.... I think some of us are reading into Touch a little too much. I honestly believe it is just referring to how the retina screen will be so clear and realistic, that we users will want to touch it more... Bringing digital things almost to life because of how clear and bright they are now with a retina display.

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
And if I were one, I would have done a pretty crappy job by now, because I tipped this to all major tech/apple blogs and not a single one is catching on.

That's surprising. If I were a news site, I would want to be the first one with this scoop because it would inevitably grab tons of views. Even if it doesn't materialize on March 7, it's abetter scoop than this annoying iPad HD rumor. HD is the worst marketing term and used by some Android manufacturers while Apple uses the best marketing people in the world.

Tactile feedback rumor > no home button rumor > iPad HD rumor

Zweimeter

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
You've certainly got all of us here buzzing with excitement but if i was to be honest I think we may be in for a disappointment. We're just super-hyped right now.

This tactile tech and Siri seem to be taking control in different directions but I cant get the 'And touch' reference out of my mind. What could it mean?! 3 more long, long days to go!

Certainly we all should be ready for a disappointment, because obviously none of us can be 100% sure this will be implemented!
But even if I didn't knew about the existence of such technology, I would be disappointed in Apple, if they think higher resolution and better guts are enough to defend their throne. The iPad 3 presumably has to stand it's ground for one year to come. And nobody should underestimate Windows 8 tablets. It has a really promising UI that has many features missing in iOS. It's e.g. designed to be used primarily with your thumbs, which seems to make navigating around the OS faster and more enjoyable. Plus you can open two apps side by side and access content related menus by swiping from the edge. Well at least the videos look promising. (e.g. http://gizmodo.com/5882797/designing-windows-8-or-how-to-redesign-a-religion )

This may not drive existing consumers away from iPad, but it will certainly not only grab the attention of new customers looking for tablets, but of those looking for notebooks/PCs too. After all, Windows 8 is a fully fledged OS that you can even use with mouse and keyboard.
As Tim Cook said, tablets will outsell the PC. This will likely be true, but when it comes to new customers, especially old Windows users will tend to buy Windows 8 tablets. And those are a lot.

So now let's assume we get all those nice swiping features in iOS 6 and have the retina display. By christmas, you'll have Windows 8 tablets with FullHD 16:9 screen, even faster CPU and better GPU, more RAM and so on.
An iPad 3 would seem to, if at all, only be on par with it or, at least specs wise, be inferior. And even if spec numbers don't really matter, higher ones certainly do seem better for the average customer. And they may ask, "Why would I need more than FullHD?". This all needs to be considered, and I haven't even mentioned the Nexus tablet or the next Kindle Fire.

This is tough competition and the number of potentially new customers is friggin' huge.
And, to come back to our topic, Senseg has certainly talked to other tablet manufacturers too. As borgqueenx has found out, Senseg was even attending CES this year, showing their technology to Apples competition. So obviously this, if at all, isn't going to be an iPad exclusive. It's probably going to be seen on other tablets and as the Senseg guy said at CES, probably by Christmas 2012.

No matter how good the new AppleTV integration will be and the retina display may look, it isn't enough. And it would be a shame to see a fundamental paradigm shift, like the ability to not only touch, but feel digital content, feel the internet, for the first time in history, on a device that is not made by the company who made this all possible in the first place - Apple.

Last edited:

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Certainly we all should be ready for a disappointment, because obviously none of us can be 100% sure this will be implemented!
But even if I didn't knew about the existence of such technology, I would be disappointed in Apple, if they think higher resolution and better guts are enough to defend their throne. The iPad 3 presumably has to stand it's ground for one year to come. And nobody should underestimate Windows 8 tablets. It has a really promising UI that has many features missing in iOS. It's e.g. designed to be used primarily with your thumbs, which seems to make navigating around the OS faster and more enjoyable. Plus you can open two apps side by side and access content related menus by swiping from the edge. Well at least the videos look promising. (e.g. http://gizmodo.com/5882797/designing-windows-8-or-how-to-redesign-a-religion )

This may not drive existing consumers away from iPad, but it will certainly not only grab the attention of new customers looking for tablets, but of those looking for notebooks/PCs too. After all, Windows 8 is a fully fledged OS that you can even use with mouse and keyboard.
As Tim Cook said, tablets will outsell the PC. This will likely be true, but when it comes to new customers, especially old Windows users will tend to buy Windows 8 tablets. And those are a lot.

So now let's assume we get all those nice swiping features in iOS 6 and have the retina display. By christmas, you'll have Windows 8 tablets with FullHD 16:9 screen, even faster CPU and better GPU, more RAM and so on.
An iPad 3 would seem to, if at all, only be on par with it or, at least specs wise, be inferior. And even if spec numbers don't really matter, higher ones certainly do seem better for the average customer. And they may ask, "Why do I need more than FullHD?". This all needs to be considered, and I haven't even mentioned the Nexus tablet or the new Kindle Fire.

This is tough competition and the number of potentially new customers is friggin' huge.
And, to come back to our topic, Senseg has certainly talked to other tablet manufacturers too. As borgqueenx has found out, Senseg was even attending CES this year, showing their technology to Apples competition. So obviously this, if at all, isn't going to be an iPad exclusive. It's probably going to be seen on other tablets and as the Senseg guy said, probably by Christmas 2012.

No matter how good the new AppleTV integration will be and the retina display may look, it isn't enough. And it would be a shame to see a fundamental paradigm shift, like the ability to not only touch, but feel digital content, feel the internet, for the first time in history, on a device that is not made by the company who made this all possible in the first place - Apple.
it will certainly drive alot customers away from apple, including me if the time comes.
I love apple, but thats only because their products are from the future. Apple are always steps ahead.
Only the more true apple fanboys will stick around, and apple will find out that those arnt that much.
Ofcource, competition still has a long way to go should this happen.
Android is still a bit on the crappy side, thanks to not compatible apps, not much games, crashes often ect ect ect.
Windows UI basicly sounds fair, but nothing to fancy.
iOS does everything, and does everything good without struggle.
This does apple has in its advantage.
But windows is indeed coming close.
If apple wants to stay ahead of competition on the long run, i totally agree. they have to act fast, and with a good upgrade. not something "they can safe for ipad 4" because then other's will have passed the ipad 3.

MacAttacka

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2012

An iPad 3 would seem to, if at all, only be on par with it or, at least specs wise, be inferior. And even if spec numbers don't really matter, higher ones certainly do seem better for the average customer. And they may ask, "Why do I need more than FullHD?". This all needs to be considered, and I haven't even mentioned the Nexus tablet or the new Kindle Fire.

I hated the iPad, I was one of those who complained about all of its short comings compared to a PC but then it hit me. I was comparing the iPad to a PC when instead its a re-invention of the PC, in fact a console. We dont complain about the Xbox not have SD slots or Nintendo not have having the most powerful hardware, the focus is purely on the pleasantness of the user experience and the usefulness of the applications.

This is when the iPad concept won me over. As an Android user I can tell you its a mess. There are many hardware and software combinations out there but not one is optimal. Some are good, some are better, not one is ideal. What is the ethos of the platform? Its like a second rate IOS that happens to be more open but with absolutely no direction other than to keep up and out spec. They've around thrown every idea hoping something might stick.

Im not saying iPad is perfect but its very cohesive and it feels like a complete fully realised product and an overwhelmingly pleasant experience. Windows 8 is the one to watch. Microsoft know software. It will likely have the better parts of Android and IOS and I can see it doing very well. MS just need to have clear goals and lay down the law with hardware manufacturers. I see a three way split in the future with all three parties. Im not tied to any platform but I feel as safe in Apples hands here as I do with Nintendo for their handhelds.

Last edited:

OafTobark

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2011
yep, retina display should be a bit larger :)

wrong. the iPhone 4 shrank in thickness compared to the 3GS with its retina display.

I wonder how they would demonstrate it. I can't wait to see Tim Cook on stage.

After reading this, it was like a lightbulb came on. The 'and touch' part of the invite would be directed to everyone who attended. TC wouldn't demo it, the people themselves would!

I am actually quite blown away with this info. It's like it all makes sense now. The rumored thickness, the patent, the invite.. It really does all line up if you think about it. Apple just can't add a Retina Display and spec. bump (although very welcome) They need that wow factor, and this could very easily be it! Lemme tell you, I would be wow'ed forsure! Can you imagine? :eek:

User 'Maclook' really hit the nail on the head...
I think it makes strategic sense to debut Siri with the iPhone 4S and the tactile display for the iPad 3 and then give the corresponding feature to the next update of the respective device.

Apple can't debut a technology for the iPad and iPhone at the same time if it requires special hardware. Siri will make the biggest impact on the iPhone because it's a device that we talk to already. It has ideal uses for the iPad but for its debut, it had to be the iPhone. Tactile display would make the biggest impact on the iPad due to its large screen so it should debut on it and then carry over to the iPhone 6.

In the end, incredible find and great write up Zweimeter!

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
Makes sense.

Finally makes sense on those extra connections into the leaked displays. This will definitely be the icing on the cake.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
The more I think about it and read the invitation, I think there is a really good chance we'll see this on Wednesday! Well done, OP.

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
wrong. the iPhone 4 shrank in thickness compared to the 3GS with its retina display.

After reading this, it was like a lightbulb came on. The 'and touch' part of the invite would be directed to everyone who attended. TC wouldn't demo it, the people themselves would!

I am actually quite blown away with this info. It's like it all makes sense now. The rumored thickness, the patent, the invite.. It really does all line up if you think about it. Apple just can't add a Retina Display and spec. bump (although very welcome) They need that wow factor, and this could very easily be it! Lemme tell you, I would be wow'ed forsure! Can you imagine? :eek:

User 'Maclook' really hit the nail on the head...

In the end, incredible find and great write up Zweimeter!
Not wrong? From what i know, the retina display is a bit thicker. They made other parts thinner wich made that phone decrease in thickness.

OafTobark

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2011
Not wrong? From what i know, the retina display is a bit thicker. They made other parts thinner wich made that phone decrease in thickness.

i agree. but the original post implied that the retina display itself is what is going to make the device thicker. not gunna happen due to what you stated.

i was trying to imply that the thickness itself isn't going to come from the retina display, but from something else.

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Finally makes sense on those extra connections into the leaked displays. This will definitely be the icing on the cake.

Thats true. No one knows why that connector has more ends then the ipad2. Could still be for a second led bar?

Dont get to exited for this people....wake up^^
the real sober chance of having this is to small, although possible.

----------

i agree. but the original post implied that the retina display itself is what is going to make the device thicker. not gunna happen due to what you stated.

i was trying to imply that the thickness itself isn't going to come from the retina display, but from something else.

Could be possible they didnt succeed in making other parts smaller....making the retina display the 0.8mm increase.
We can always dream and hope though.

DenisAuermann

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2012
San Salvador, El Salvador
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

Actually no. The display is thinner than the iPad 2. If anything has increased in size would be the battery. It's the only thing that would make sense to tweak to still keep the 10 hour battery mark. What's really intriguing is the fact that even with the added retina display the iPhone 4 managed to be slimmer than the 3gs and still kept the same battery life.

Buildbright

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

Actually no. The display is thinner than the iPad 2. If anything has increased in size would be the battery. It's the only thing that would make sense to tweak to still keep the 10 hour battery mark. What's really intriguing is the fact that even with the added retina display the iPhone 4 managed to be slimmer than the 3gs and still kept the same battery life.

The display glass may thinner but if retina it would require more back lights which would add bulk.

glxyjones

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
While the whole ". And Touch." comment on the invitation really opens this up to a possibility (in my mind), the lack of a home button is likely due to the iPad being held in landscape mode, right?

The Dock icons look farther apart to me which makes me think it's not being used in portrait mode.

scousers

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
While I would love this, I'm taking it with a grain of salt.
Remember the rumours about the iPhone before it came out in the fall? People were saying all sorts of things.... they will release 4s and 5, teardrop shape, 4g, aluminium, 4" display, and a bunch of other things which never happened.

The people lifted their hope up only to be 'disappointed' by a spec bump. Don't do it to yourselves again this time!

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
"And touch."

I bet it stands for something stupid, like: "Touch the new iPad's retina display."
This Senseg technology seems awesome, but I'm not expecting much really from Apple with the iPad 3.

All I really expect is a retina display, the processor and other hardware are just random guesses and wishes.

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
"And touch."

I bet it stands for something stupid, like: "Touch the new iPad's retina display."
This Senseg technology seems awesome, but I'm not expecting much really from Apple with the iPad 3.

All I really expect is a retina display, the processor and other hardware are just random guesses and wishes.

Yep i also think the "touch" thing in the invitation means nothing.
Get ready for a nice retina screen. Forget the rest.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US

I think folks are over-analyzing the invite (big surprise, right?)

Simple basic explanation would be:
  • See = Apple TV
  • Touch = iPad

Or even simpler - both could refer to iPad.

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
good thread OP, but I refuse to get my hopes up until the 7th :)

I'm going to assume i'll see this on the iPad4 next year.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010

+1

Retina is all I really care about right now anyway. All this tactile business is cool and what not but truely I can really care less about having it.

Cool story bro...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.