Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I don't even see it as a "manly" thing. It's just one device is far superior in every way to the other. And the other is cuter. It would be a totally different story if the iPad mini had a retina display and A6X processor and cost $100 less than the full-size iPad. Then I could see a realistic debate.

But that's not the case. So if you want a small iDevice to fit in your pocket, that's what the iPhone is for (and you can make phone calls on it unlike with the iPad mini).

The only legitimate market for the iPad Mini is 16 year old girls. And not the smart ones who could stand to lose 20 pounds. I'm talking about the hot, bitchy, annoying ones with chihuahuas and little $2500 Kate Spade handbags. The iPad Mini will fit into one of those little purses perfectly. And whichever girl has the most expensive, shiniest, glitteriest pink Prada case for her iPad Mini will be the most popular among her peers - guaranteed head cheerleader and homecoming queen. I completely understand that. More power to her. Her parents would be horrible people if they didn't immediately buy her one.

But if you're not a 16 year old girl, and if you don't have a little $2k+ Kade Spade handbag in which to keep it, then you have no reason to get the iPad mini.

Lighter? We're talking 3/4 of a pound! That's it! You're bitching over 3/4 of a pound. That's practically the exact weight of a can of soda or beer. I bet everyone here has no problem lifting cans of beer up to their face every day. That's the weight difference between an iPad mini and an iPad 4. And you know what's even lighter than an iPad mini? An iPhone. It's cuter too.
Stereotype much?

Landragoran

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
Bait and Switch?

I haven't seen much talk about it here, but I had waited to purchase the IPad3 once I heard it was coming out. I upgraded my 3GS to the new 5/32 gig and love that but I have to say that shelling out $500.00 for the 3 only to be told 6 months later that it is half the machine of the new/improved 4 does not leave much of a good feeling. The lack of honesty in their approach in terms of releasing back to back machines within such a short time frame makes me feel pretty stupid and taken, which is not something I enjoy. I'm not sure what their thought process is, but my wife is due for an upgrade for both phone and tablet and it will not be the 5 or the IPad...there are too many other good choices out there that, hopefully, will not make me feel foolish in how I've spent my money.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Calling the iPad mini dumb is really dumb. Saying you see no need for it is one thing but dumb it is not. The non retina display is not that bad and overall the device is optimized and pretty quick. I will be using it in my car for music and for taking with me on road trips where lugging around a larger iPad is just not as convenient. There is clearly a market for both depending on your use.

I purchased an iPad 4 too, but have not decided rather I am keeping it. Display is beautiful and it is fast. I have 14 days to determine if it has a place. The iPad mini is a keeper already.

So the only thing dumb about the iPad mini is calling it dumb.

I feel this way too, although I'm sure to keep my iPad 4th gen (since my previous is the original and I do have uses for the large size).

But I'm having so much fun with the iPad mini that I haven't given the iPad 4 a shot yet, poor thing. I took it out of the box yesterday, of course, and held it, and admired it, but the mini had already arrived and I was totally swept away by that. And still am.

Well I'm going to go plug the 4th gen one in now to top off the charge. Tomorrow is soon enough for setting it up. Back to the mini!

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
I'm not sure what their thought process is, but my wife is due for an upgrade for both phone and tablet and it will not be the 5 or the IPad...there are too many other good choices out there that, hopefully, will not make me feel foolish in how I've spent my money.

Maybe you should try Android where they release a phone about once a month or at minimum once a quarter. When these Windows 8 phones start hitting it will be the same thing. You feel slighted because Apple is having to compete in a market place as I just described. People amaze me!

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
I haven't seen much talk about it here, but I had waited to purchase the IPad3 once I heard it was coming out. I upgraded my 3GS to the new 5/32 gig and love that but I have to say that shelling out $500.00 for the 3 only to be told 6 months later that it is half the machine of the new/improved 4 does not leave much of a good feeling. The lack of honesty in their approach in terms of releasing back to back machines within such a short time frame makes me feel pretty stupid and taken, which is not something I enjoy. I'm not sure what their thought process is, but my wife is due for an upgrade for both phone and tablet and it will not be the 5 or the IPad...there are too many other good choices out there that, hopefully, will not make me feel foolish in how I've spent my money.

Here's the long and short of it. They had an updated product ready to go before the Christmas rush. They'd be irresponsible to leave it on the shelf while their competition updated their product line.

There are, unfortunately, no guarantees when it comes to product cycles. The good news there is that your 3rd generation iPad is just as good as it was before the 4th generation model was released. Is it still the latest and greatest? No. But it is still a very high quality product. If having the newest model is important to you, then sell yours and fill in the difference. But I'd just let it be and enjoy your iPad.

Landragoran

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
Thanks for the quick replies...

Thanks to both QTA and UGA for the replies and am glad that I amaze someone. I will keep the 3 for years or until it doesn't work anymore as it is a good machine for what I use it for. There is no comparison between the 5 and the 3GS (which I passed on to my son, by the way, as it still works fine as a phone) as the 5 is much quicker, better camera, etc. I am not a techie...I buy equipment for a basic purpose and in the case of the IPad 3 I have been able to use it in client's office for quick presentations around a couple of mobile apps my company has developed for the market we are in (publishing). You may disagree, but my point was simply that $500 is a lot of money for something that becomes, while not obsolete, a downgrade on the new product within 6 months. You might be right in the regard that I don't have a grasp of the volatility of the market but it would still seem to me that they put a ding in the trust of some of their clients. My only complaint with the 5 is the battery life and the fact that I can't buy a charger for the car yet...I travel a lot for business and find myself really milking the battery life over the course of a 12-14 hour business day.

CandyNJ66

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
USA
This.
Girls want the mini.
Real men will almost always take the slightly larger- MUCH better v4

I've been an iPad owner since the first gen, am female and bought the first iPad on the day it was released. Yes, the mini is cute but too small for me.

You want to try more stereotyping? :p :rolleyes:

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Bunch of weaklings up in here. :)

Seriously. Remember the Compaq "luggable" all-in-one? Dual five-inch floppies, 20Mb hard-card... Think it weighed 38 pounds. People used to cart them around from home to office and back all the time. Or case up their SE30s and take them back and forth. Wow!

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
I don't even see it as a "manly" thing. It's just one device is far superior in every way to the other. And the other is cuter. It would be a totally different story if the iPad mini had a retina display and A6X processor and cost $100 less than the full-size iPad. Then I could see a realistic debate.

But that's not the case. So if you want a small iDevice to fit in your pocket, that's what the iPhone is for (and you can make phone calls on it unlike with the iPad mini).

The only legitimate market for the iPad Mini is 16 year old girls. And not the smart ones who could stand to lose 20 pounds. I'm talking about the hot, bitchy, annoying ones with chihuahuas and little $2500 Kate Spade handbags. The iPad Mini will fit into one of those little purses perfectly. And whichever girl has the most expensive, shiniest, glitteriest pink Prada case for her iPad Mini will be the most popular among her peers - guaranteed head cheerleader and homecoming queen. I completely understand that. More power to her. Her parents would be horrible people if they didn't immediately buy her one.

But if you're not a 16 year old girl, and if you don't have a little $2k+ Kade Spade handbag in which to keep it, then you have no reason to get the iPad mini.

Lighter? We're talking 3/4 of a pound! That's it! You're bitching over 3/4 of a pound. That's practically the exact weight of a can of soda or beer. I bet everyone here has no problem lifting cans of beer up to their face every day. That's the weight difference between an iPad mini and an iPad 4. And you know what's even lighter than an iPad mini? An iPhone. It's cuter too.

I read some dumb comments on this board but I believe you just won the dumbest of the dumb....by the way the mini is superior in weight and sound:p

JS3

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
Crazy cause mine is super fast and the wifi is way better than my 3 was. I guarantee my ipad 4 is 10 times better than your mini other than size.

token787

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2012
I just bought the IPad 4 tonight. OMG! This thing is good. I had bought a 3 a month ago and I was unsatisfied so returned 2 of them. The IPad 4 out the box is fast, wifi is on point and it's kicking --t. So far Apple has got it right :D

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
You may disagree, but my point was simply that $500 is a lot of money for something that becomes, while not obsolete, a downgrade on the new product within 6 months. You might be right in the regard that I don't have a grasp of the volatility of the market but it would still seem to me that they put a ding in the trust of some of their clients. My only complaint with the 5 is the battery life and the fact that I can't buy a charger for the car yet...I travel a lot for business and find myself really milking the battery life over the course of a 12-14 hour business day.

I don't disagree that you feel the way you do. However, I think that because Apple is in heavy competition with all these players that they cannot afford the luxury anymore of waiting maybe whole year when they have something ready to go out the door. This is different and for some unexpected and aggravating. Nonetheless it is the times in which we live and I suspect this won't be the last time Apple does this, so people might as well get use to it.

Concerning the iPhone 5, if you didn't bother to go online and order a lightening cable so that you could charge your phone in your car, then that is on you. There was an initial 3 week wait listed on the web site, but most got them in less than a week when ordered. Also if you are in crunch couldn't you have just taken the one that came with your iPhone 5 with you on the road until you purchased one?

Don't forget about your mono speaker...lol

I know you said that jokingly, but those dual speakers actually do sound much better than that one mono speaker. I can actually hear some stereo separation.

People need to just buy what works for them. I mean all this its girly, its to big, its to heavy. Just get what freaking works for you. All this is just crazy.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
I know you said that jokingly, but those dual speakers actually do sound much better than that one mono speaker. I can actually hear some stereo separation.

People need to just buy what works for them. I mean all this its girly, its to big, its to heavy. Just get what freaking works for you. All this is just crazy.

No, I was dead serious. I own the mini and am getting really tired of people saying its obsolete or this or that. I mean everybody wants to talk about how the mini doesn't have retina or an a6 but don't say nothing about their 500 device only having a mono speaker. What would that of cost apple? Then you have the iPad 3 users who have an obsolete connector and the mini benchmarked higher than it saying the same kinda crap. Just getting tired of all the idiotic posts so I am gonna start making my own...lol

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
No, I was dead serious. I own the mini and am getting really tired of people saying its obsolete or this or that. I mean everybody wants to talk about how the mini doesn't have retina or an a6 but don't say nothing about their 500 device only having a mono speaker. What would that of cost apple? Then you have the iPad 3 users who have an obsolete connector and the mini benchmarked higher than it saying the same kinda crap. Just getting tired of all the idiotic posts so I am gonna start making my own...lol

LOL, I feel you on all that. That is why I said its just crazy all this stuff folks are saying. Its last years tech, its not retina, its over priced....

I freaking like the damn mini and I am damn sure not a girl and the display is good enough for my purpose. So, unless folks are buying these for everyone else then thy need to just get off the BS and let folks buy and use what they want.

TJ5921

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011

That was my whole point in making this post! Seems like most iPad 3 and 4 owners are the ones attacking the mini's display, yet when someone brings up the advantages it has over those models it's a moot point. :rolleyes:

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
Just to show I am not being a jerk and start getting comments that I am biased because I only own the mini....I do own an iPad 3, a mini and I took this pic with my iPhone 5.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 65

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The big chip and retina screen are great but it's TOO heavy. I went to an apple store and tried it for five minutes so I can definitively say it's no good. Mini or go home.

Too heavy? Oh dear, have you ever worked a day in your life?

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
Just to show I am not being a jerk and start getting comments that I am biased because I only own the mini....I do own an iPad 3, a mini and I took this pic with my iPhone 5.

Hey what case is that on your Mini? Sorry to be off topic! Not that we are actually on topic. hehehe

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.