Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Hi, I've connected my iPad 4 to a 13" MBP but it'x not charging o_O

What to do? It has the charging thing at the top right though.

What should I do?

The Destroyer

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2007
Toronto
Does it actually have the charging icon? I am suprised. My Desktop with USB 3.0 ports isn't even enough to charge my iPad 3. It's possibly charging, but at a very slow rate. You need to use the 10 or 12W Wall Adapter to charge the iPad 3 or 4.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Does it actually have the charging icon? I am suprised. My Desktop with USB 3.0 ports isn't even enough to charge my iPad 3. It's possibly charging, but at a very slow rate. You need to use the 10 or 12W Wall Adapter to charge the iPad 3 or 4.
It has the charging icon. Should I try and charge it with the included charger that came with the iPad? Thanks.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
If the icon is there it's charging just slowly. The supplied adapter will charge it quicker

ljx718

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2008
i know my rmbp charges my ipad fine, which is weird because i wouldve have thought that they would have put under powered usb ports on there. my old mbp would charge my ipad at all if i plugged it in. it was a pleasant surprise.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
More than likely your mac book is charging it but if you are using it at the same time, it will hardly show progress.

----------

It has the charging icon. Should I try and charge it with the included charger that came with the iPad? Thanks.

Yes, it will charge faster and even faster if you are not using it.

Just plug it in tonight when you go to sleep, it should last all day after a week when you are not using 24/7

tbk3191

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
Knoxville, TN
My mini did the same thing. When I plugged it into my MacBook Pro to connect it to iTunes with the lightning cable, it would not charge. It would not charge plugged into my Honda fit USB cable. The only other place I have charged it is a USB car charger and it charged in there. I might do some more research on this topic, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.