iPad iPad 4G's battery life shorter than the 2's?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kylera, Dec 4, 2012.

1. macrumors 65816

kylera

I have the cellular version of the latest maxi iPad, and somehow it feels like it lasts a bit shorter than the 2, which I had prior. I note that some reviewers said that as well, and I was wondering if it is the case. I can figure out why it could be shorter, given the screen and the extra processing oomph, and it isn't so short that I can't do anything, so I'm not disappointed or anything.

2. macrumors member

My iPad lasts an incredibly long amount of time. I usually end up charging it every two days with casual use. It really depends on what you set your brightness to. If its set on 100% then your device is going to drain through battery power relatively quickly.

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

I have the brightness set to auto-adjust, and I use the iPad in relatively dark places most of the time. The brightest it gets is when I'm in the bus heading somewhere and it's sunny outside - if not that, then it doesn't get horribly bright.

4. macrumors 6502

Granted I have the WiFi only (No LTE) version, but the battery life last way longer than the iPad 2 for me.

5. macrumors 6502

6. macrumors 68000

Medic311

LTE chews through battery life, even on standby. when you know you won't be using LTE, turn off cellular and watch your battery life drastically improve.

also, i found a lot of quirks with my iPad 4 were solved with a full iOS restore (erase data and settings). for some reason, initially it was stuttering and heating up really badly. after i wiped it clean and restored it again, everything went back to normal.

perhaps your battery life will improve too

7. thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

Damn, even though I have a 3G plan? That sucks...

Maybe I should just ditch my backup and do a full restore as well. Thanks for your input.

8. macrumors 6502

This reportedly worked for the iPad 3. Might be worth a shot. Good tip.

9. macrumors 6502a

just finished an article comparing Tablet battery life. Ipad with retina is the best in its class of around 13 hours with wifi on. Ipad 2 is 9.30 hours.

Like above comment, i think LTE will eat your battery like lunch time snacks. Im wondering whether i should sell my 2 and get a 4????

10. Medic311, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012

macrumors 68000

Medic311

only if you truly need the Retina display. but a word of caution - once you go Retina it's very hard to go back.

if you want Retina, i advice is to get an iPad 3 16GB refurb for $379. if you need more space then get a 32GB for $449. the reason why i say this is bc i have used both the iPad 4 and iPad 3 extensively and the difference right now is negligible. if you are thinking about getting the iPad 5, you would be flipping it in the near future and the iPad 3 refurbs will actually depreciate less from the refurb purchase price than a brand new iPad 4 from the full retail price

i ended up ditching my iPad 4 bc of light bleed issues and got the same 64GB LTE config for $679 (vs $829 for the iPad 4). for anyone who says the iPad 4's added resale value will make up that $150 is a giant fool

11. macrumors 6502a

My 4 lasts bit more then the 3, but less then the 2 and 1. BUT it lasts the day, when I get home, I have enough charge to use it for an hour or 2, then it hits the charger and left overnight for another day of abuse :)

12. macrumors member

My iPad 4 Wifi lasts about 14 hours with a full charge. My friend has an iPad 2 and he gets 8 hours on it...

13. macrumors newbie

Eventhough Retina display uses more power than iPad 2, Ipad 3 got a major batery capacity boost. So comparatively both should have approx. same battery life time. Ipad 4 should be same as ipad 3. As some people already pointed out it really depends upon the brightness and graphic intensive apps.