Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DarkAnnie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
My iPad 2 would sometimes close safari while in use. Not too much of an hassle, it didn't happen THAT often. My 3rd gen did not have any issues at all.

Now, I've been using my 4th gen for a few days, and the first thing I noticed after I had it up and running was that I tried to go into my pictures, and the iPad rebooted. Second, I was using safari, and it started closing like my iPad 2 did. A lot more often. And then, it went from closing to rebooting. It's happened twice today within a 30 minute timeframe.
Anyone else experiencing this? The iPad is bought via the apple store online, and I have about a 2 hour drive to the nearest store. Should I contact them for a replacement, or should I just learn to live with it? The screen is perfect, a little more "blue" than my 3rd gen, and I like that. I just don't like the tendencies it's already showing....

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
My first ipad 4 did essentially the same thing. Random lock ups and restarts. The replacement is fine.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
My iPad 2 originally did this a few times when I first got it, and now my iPhone 5 has done this a few times when I first got it but now it has stopped.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Mine has not exhibited any of those issues. Been using quite heavily since purchased 7 days ago. I would try a full restore via iTunes before you go trading in hardware you are happy with.

DarkAnnie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
Talked to apple support on the phone. Genius asked me to reset it as new from iTunes, as he thought it might have been a bug caused by restoring it from iCloud.
Did what he asked, but alas, it's still messed up. Before it even finished setting up, it froze and I had to do a hard reset to get it to respond. Then it started re-booting again. I was thinking I would try to live with it since I seriously love this blueish screen, but when it at one point re-booted twice within 30 seconds, I realized it would drive me crazy. New little glitches I've experienced involves any and all angry birds app opening to nothing but a black screen, apps opening showing the screen of who made the app for 2 seconds, then crashing. This did not go away after a re-boot either. Trying to re-install the apps now.

I think I got a lemon. ****, it's going to be a hassle returning it and getting a replacement. It took 11 days from shipped till I had it, will they hold back on shipping a replacement till they received this one? It'll be frikkin' Christmas till I have a new one. Just a little :mad: Hoping I can maybe ship it to the apple store 2 hours away and have them ship me a replacement, will save tons of time.
Well, that's my story. Thanks for listening! :p

anubis1980

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I know apple didn't hold back on replacing mine . I currently have two iPads , one waiting to be collected.

DarkAnnie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
I know apple didn't hold back on replacing mine . I currently have two iPads , one waiting to be collected.

Oh really? I thought they didn't trust people enough to do that. Hope they'll roll like that with me too!
Thanks!

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Bummer not having it, but I would definitely get it replaced ... that sounds like all sorts of funky. Mine has been 99% flawless (I think it quit of my Twitter client one time).

token787

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2012
Talked to apple support on the phone. Genius asked me to reset it as new from iTunes, as he thought it might have been a bug caused by restoring it from iCloud.
Did what he asked, but alas, it's still messed up. Before it even finished setting up, it froze and I had to do a hard reset to get it to respond. Then it started re-booting again. I was thinking I would try to live with it since I seriously love this blueish screen, but when it at one point re-booted twice within 30 seconds, I realized it would drive me crazy. New little glitches I've experienced involves any and all angry birds app opening to nothing but a black screen, apps opening showing the screen of who made the app for 2 seconds, then crashing. This did not go away after a re-boot either. Trying to re-install the apps now.

I think I got a lemon. ****, it's going to be a hassle returning it and getting a replacement. It took 11 days from shipped till I had it, will they hold back on shipping a replacement till they received this one? It'll be frikkin' Christmas till I have a new one. Just a little :mad: Hoping I can maybe ship it to the apple store 2 hours away and have them ship me a replacement, will save tons of time.
Well, that's my story. Thanks for listening! :p

if you return in store Apple gets notice same day of return then will ship you out new unit. Make sure to call Apple tell returned in store and would like to be shipped a replacement.

DarkAnnie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
Returning it in-store won't work, since I live over 2 hours away from what I thought was an Apple Store, but it was just an unofficial Apple Store exclusively selling Apple products?? :confused:
Anywho, the genius I spoke to on the phone today agreed instantly that I got a dud, and that I would get a replacement immediately, the only reason it took so long the first time was that it was shipped during the first launch rush, but now there were plenty in stock and the new one would be with me within days. Sending someone to pick my lemon up tomorrow. I'm happy! When I quietly asked if there was any way she could see from the serial number on my old one who made the screen, since it's got a blue hue, her reply was "you'll get an identical item, miss!" I then told her about the yellow/blue hues issues depending on who manufactured the screen, but she politely denied my wish saying there was no way she could have any influence over that.
But, later when I got my confirmation e-mail, there was a little tiny note on the bottom after all the official red tape, stating:
"I really hope you get a blue-hue screen again Annie!"
;)
Nothing lacking on their customer service though, color me impressed!

DarkAnnie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
So far today, after about 2-3 hours of use, not one glitch. That's just greeeeeeeat! Of course right after I organized a swap it starts working to perfection. :rolleyes:

DarkAnnie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
Replacement is in the house! When I called TNT last week to schedule the pick up of my lemon, the guy on the phone suggested he cancel this pick-up so I didn't have to be iPadless for a week. He said it was done like that all the time. I didn't complain, I hope just he's right, and that Apple don't think I screwed them over when they see my pick-up was cancelled! :p

Verdict on the screen color so far is...first thing I noticed is that this one was shipped from a different factory. And well it's a tiny bit more yellow than the old one. But only slightly. My husband thinks I'm seeing things. I actually shouldn't have tried to compare the two, cause I think I would have said it was blue if I hadn't done that. Oh well, the OCD in me I guess. It's at least leaning towards the blue spectrum compared to my 3, that's for damn sure. My 3 is like a dang egg yolk in comparison.

I'm happy.
No hiccups thus far, but I've only played with it for about an hour.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.