iPad 5 Cases with Mini-Inspired Designs Begin Hitting Chinese Marketplaces

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 25, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Following the leak of several "iPad 5" cases late last week supporting claims that the device will take some design cues from the iPad mini to become significantly narrower and slightly shorter than the current models, AppleBitch notes that these cases and a several others are now available for order through multiple distributors on Chinese e-marketplace Alibaba.

[​IMG]
    All of the cases contain holes in the bottom edge designed to accommodate a Lightning connector and speaker grilles on either side of the connector, as seen on the iPad mini. The current full-size iPad design contains a single speaker grille on wrapping from the bottom edge around to the back side of the device.

One case design shows an open left edge, presumably to accommodate a Smart Cover hinge.

[​IMG]
    The cases also appear to show an extra hole at the top center of the rear of the device, and it is unclear exactly feature of the redesigned iPad the hole is intended to accommodate. The hole was initially thought to be for a microphone, which is currently located along the top edge of the iPad, but a hole in that location appears to still be present on these new cases, leaving the "extra" hole on the rear unaccounted for.

Leaks from case makers have in the past proven accurate on a number of occasions, including with the iPad mini, although companies have sometimes been fooled as was seen with the tapered iPhone design back in 2011. But with rumors, rear shell photos, and now cases all consistently pointing toward an iPad mini-like design for the fifth-generation iPad, evidence for a significant overhaul of the full-size iPad is becoming stronger.

Article Link: iPad 5 Cases with Mini-Inspired Designs Begin Hitting Chinese Marketplaces

2. macrumors 68020

Kebabselector

Haven't we been here before, just because there's a case doesn't mean a new device.

3. macrumors regular

Maybe the 2 holes are for 2 mics like the current iMacs

4. macrumors newbie

extra hole

Couldn't it be for an LED to get it away from the lens?

5. 0815, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013

macrumors 68000

And as every year (actually twice a year ... iPad and iPhone) some case manufactures take a bet based on rumors to have the first cases out and as most of the time they end up destroying what they manufactured since they listened to rumor sites and not having any reliable sources.

Really surprised that it is worth for the manufactures to take those gambles.

6. macrumors P6

Peace

The center hole could be for the microphone.

7. macrumors 68040

I guess these cheap cases are really easy to knock off.

They probably make a few just in case they might sell. This way they can postpone selling their souls to the devil a little longer.

8. macrumors regular

The iPhone has a microphone on the back... I see no reason why they wouldn't do the same thing on the iPad.

9. macrumors 65832

Tankmaze

yeah was gonna say this. so, the rumor is strong with this one...
    personally I like the iPad mini design and it goes to show that apple is really the master of doing increment steps / updates in perfecting their designs.

10. macrumors 68020

Squilly

Maybe the new hole is for a centered camera or flash?

11. macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Launch day cases must be really big business. Every time.

12. macrumors 68030

TallManNY

Ooh. I'm excited. Could we see a new iPad as early as the end of March?

13. macrumors 65816

Well, some of us find it strange that Apple has nothing to release this spring. Maybe they will.

14. macrumors 68020

Agent-P

If Apple wanted to get really ridiculous, that extra hole could he for one of those wrist strap anchors like on the most recent iPod touch.

15. macrumors 6502

I think we will see an iPad 5 in March or Aprial! Probably with the same specs as the iPad 4.

16. macrumors 6502a

chrisbru

This would be very silly on a full-size iPad wouldn't it? Even the Mini would be super awkward to have hanging from your wrist haha.

17. macrumors 6502

7thson

I find it incredibly bizarre that there is an accessory for sale for a device that doesn't exist in the market place yet. Talk about putting the horse before the cart.

18. macrumors 68000

AngerDanger

I ordered four; I just love protecting products that haven't actually been released. :rolleyes:

19. macrumors 68020

Agent-P

Can't be any worse than someone using their iPad in public to take photos.

20. macrumors member

This kind of rumor really gets me excited..especially since I sold my 3rd gen on Friday I could use an upgrade and really dont want a 4 or a mini..bring on the 5!!

21. macrumors regular

Jamo12

I'd bet a small amount of money on the back hole being a cutout for a flash. Perfect round cutout. Mic hole on top is rectangular. Why make two different cutouts in the same product. Flash is nice and far away from the camera making zero chance of flash problems. It is smaller and lighter and using it as a camera is not as rediclious. May as well, plenty of space for it.

22. macrumors 6502

Yojimbo007

Iphone mic in the back is for ambient noise canceling for cellular calls... Unless the new ipad is going to have the ability to make calls a mic in the back makes no sense!

23. macrumors 68000

Lancer

I seem to remember about 2 years ago people selling iPhone 5 cases for the new design iPhone and it turned out we got the 4s. You'd be a fool to buy a case for the next iPad (or any product) before it's officially announced and released.

24. macrumors member

DCstewieG

Regardless of whether these are legit or not, it would be really nice for Apple to bring stereo sound to the iPad. When on its side, one on the left, one on the right. The iPad mini stereo speakers are laughable. Aside from normal gripes (SD card, blah blah) I'd say that's the biggest issue I have.

25. macrumors 68030

So pumped for the next mini