Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
iPad 5 gains mini style case but bigger and uses the same tech as the mini but with retina as a differentiator. Apple will drop the iPad 2 and use the iPad mini as the entry model and the full size with retina but the look of the mini as the high end model. Maybe they'll bring the entry level iPad 5 price down to fill the gap a bit now that there is a 128GB full size model. Still doubt the mini will get retina in the near term due to power requirements and a more mini like iPad 5 negates the need since those who want retina can get it with a tablet that is significantly smaller than the iPad 4.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
it's the middle of summer there! (still cold though)

iMacFarlane didn't quite think that through, did he...LOL

I seriously am getting tired of this garbage from Apple. I love my iPad, don't get me wrong, but the iPad 5 needs to do something revolutionary.

I know this doesn't qualify as revolutionary, but IGZO is rumored to come. Not sure if NFC, fingerprint recognition, etc. will ever come to the iPad, but at this stage, incremental improvements such as CPU/GPU performance, weight and bezel size reductions, increased battery life and camera improvements is the best we can hope for and could be very worthwhile! A price re-alignment (reduction) for that new 128GB version would be nice.

hsotnicam8002

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2008
United Kingdom
That extra 64GB in the 128GB will add such an enormous extra weight I'm wondering whether to stick to my 64GB. ;) Though if it makes Safari snappier it might be worth the sacrifice. :D

xdhd350

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2010
The one thing Apple is making thinner and lighter as of late is my retirement account balance. :eek:

hleewell

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
That extra 64GB in the 128GB will add such an enormous extra weight I'm wondering whether to stick to my 64GB. ;) Though if it makes Safari snappier it might be worth the sacrifice. :D

I have iPhone 5 with 16GB memory for 1 month. I can assure you it is faster than my 64GB iPad. The 128 GB iPad is great for people with humongous media files. Content creation people who need to show their HD video clips to clients etc.

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Ladies and gents, the new breed of spoiled brats.

You don't get tired of Apple having these ridiculously overblown press conferences so they can announce the new generation iPad with no notable software improvements, a new, thinner doc connector, and a faster processor? Now Sharp is reporting an almost complete stoppage of production of full size iPad screens and everyone seems so surprised.

Also, does it make you feel big to make baseless claims? Most of us here buy Apple products with our owned hard earned money. Nothing about that is spoiled.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
iPad mini proves that people wanted an 7-8 inch iPad. That was the selling point. Let's just say I have my doubts about Apple really doing anything new with the next iPad. I fully expect us all to be disappointed.

If the iPad mini has been thick and heavy like iPad 4 you think it would have sold as well? In practically every review I read one of the first things "pros" mentioned was how thin and light the mini was. I think that's a big selling feature, especially when coupled with great battey life.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
You don't get tired of Apple having these ridiculously overblown press conferences so they can announce the new generation iPad with no notable software improvements, a new, thinner doc connector, and a faster processor? Now Sharp is reporting an almost complete stoppage of production of full size iPad screens and everyone seems so surprised.

Also, does it make you feel big to make baseless claims? Most of us here buy Apple products with our owned hard earned money. Nothing about that is spoiled.

Exactly. Thinner and lighter wont save the stock price. They need to do something revolutionary. Their announcements are becoming dull and predictable. That IOS 6 demo Forstall did was a new low, even he looked bored.

I don't need to see a slideshow of how many iPads were sold. Save that for the Financial statements. Just show me something that will make me give you my credit card.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
Exactly. Thinner and lighter wont save the stock price. They need to do something revolutionary. Their announcements are becoming dull and predictable. That IOS 6 demo Forstall did was a new low, even he looked bored.

I don't need to see a slideshow of how many iPads were sold. Save that for the Financial statements. Just show me something that will make me give you my credit card.

Because 3 years and only adding retina, state of the art processors, a light tablet, an amazing battery life, and 2 cameras is just not cutting it.

And of course iOS is going to die too..I mean come on Apple get your act together.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Because 3 years and only adding retina, state of the art processors, a light tablet, an amazing battery life, and 2 cameras is just not cutting it.

And of course iOS is going to die too..I mean come on Apple get your act together.

The only real thing I will fault them with is being slow to add features that should be a given just to hold out for the next model. Aside from that I am not sure what they are really suppose to do, in the past people had the same basic cell phone for years without much changing, I know the times have changed, coming up with revolutionary advancements each year is not something that is likely to happen.

It seems the tech world is mostly stuck in tech bumps at the moment and it may stay that way for awhile longer.

Nicolashcristai

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2013
iPad 5 to Be 'Thinner and Lighter' Using iPad Mini Screen Technology

Like what? What does the iPad need so desperately? It's a tablet; It has a (damn good) screen, cameras, a processor, storage, and RAM. This device has only been on the market for 3 years. Saying that it needs a revolutionary change implies that the iPad is failing -- which we all know is not the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.