Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
I don't work for Apple so I am sorry, but I cannot provide you with "proof" as you would like.

I can tell you that if we present ourselves to any Apple location that has tech service onsite, and we have a activation locked ios7 device with a corresponding warrant for access to the contents, they will unlock the device.

You can choose not to believe it, but having had 3 devices unlocked under court order at 2 different Apple locations, I speak with firsthand knowledge.

If you want to see in writing how manufacturers are required and mandated to do this, use Google and do your research. I am not doing it for you.

Anyone with any degree of knowledge in software tech, knows it is unrealistic to think that Apple service is unable to unlock a device blocked via their own software/firmware.

Take it as you wish.

Well if you're looking for anymore phone criminals, this thread is a good place to start.

Reactions: Jstuts5797

Gandydancer

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2014
Apple can do it

There's no doubt Apple can undo an activation lock if it has access to the device. Indeed it may be as simple as reprogramming its servers to respond "ok" for that particular serial#. Anyway, with access to the device, it's presumably just a matter of re-flashing its memory to a factory-issue state and, if that doesn't include a new serial number, resetting the servers for that #. Or, if you need the data in the device a detailed knowledge of the OS should enable you to make it forget the lost code. Etc, etc, many permutations of the possible can get to the desired result. So, if Apple won't do this for folks who can prove their ownership it's because it chooses not to. The fanboys will think that's fine. Me, not so much.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
re: activations

To follow up on my last experience with this?
I was able to escalate the issue via AppleCare, by phone, to someone who sent me a special email I had to fill out like a form, providing all the pertinent information. Then a couple days later, they unlocked the iPad for us.

So I can say that yes, Apple WILL unlock these devices for people who can prove ownership. But the process is time consuming and cumbersome, especially when you're doing this for corporate devices. (My sales rep. who originally sold it to us had to go talk to HIS manager, just to get access to generate an individual invoice for it, as the initial purchase was part of an order of about 50 devices. The receipt he had access to didn't break them all down by individual serial number.)

There's no doubt Apple can undo an activation lock if it has access to the device. Indeed it may be as simple as reprogramming its servers to respond "ok" for that particular serial#. Anyway, with access to the device, it's presumably just a matter of re-flashing its memory to a factory-issue state and, if that doesn't include a new serial number, resetting the servers for that #. Or, if you need the data in the device a detailed knowledge of the OS should enable you to make it forget the lost code. Etc, etc, many permutations of the possible can get to the desired result. So, if Apple won't do this for folks who can prove their ownership it's because it chooses not to. The fanboys will think that's fine. Me, not so much.

hak187

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2009
Here's my take on it.

The activation lock is good in THEORY, but would be far more practical if Apple allowed a "self service" method of unlocking it. Maybe something like confirming some of the initial purchase information online against the product serial number?)

I've got an iPad here right now in our company where the user tied it to her Find My iPhone and iCloud accounts. The employee was terminated and now I discovered the iPad is useless. Tried to contact her via her personal gmail account to explain what I need, but she refuses to respond. (Not surprising since she didn't leave on good terms.)

Clearly, this iPad is company property and not stolen ... but it was purchased by a different office, in another part of the country, so I don't have easy access to the sales receipt. (For that matter, I'm not even sure if we ordered this one from Apple direct, or from a vendor like CDW -- because we've done it several different ways over time.)

I understand that now, Apple is pushing use of the MDM software to centrally manage the devices from the day they're first issued. Great -- but you couldn't even specify a PIN to override the lock until the very latest revision of iOS. So that left a long gap where corporate users were left hanging ..... And even now, we try to use Apple's MDM software and find it really buggy. It's always hit or miss if it will cooperate and pull up a web page when I try to enroll a new device from it, and until version 3, it had issues even syncing properly with our Active Directory.

This stuff simply wasn't thought out well enough and it feels like Apple's rushing, now, to offer more acceptable solutions where they failed initially.

If you provide apple with your purchase details they will unlock a device that is company owned. I have done this at the company I work with for an iPhone that a termed employee didn't disable Find my iPhone. It took a phone call to apple, and they emailed me a form to fill out. I emailed the completed form back to them, along with proof of purchase from Verizon and a few days later the phone was unlocked.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Ive never try but i remember that in a forum people were doing it or at least caim you can bypass activation lock in all iphones pre 5s and all ipads and at no cost, apperently its not always "online"

Link : http://doulci.net

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Funny you mention that.

I recently won an iPad whose iCloud lock was enabled, which, admittedly, I knew little about. I was discouraged reading comment after comment that Apple would not undo it. I decided to visit my local Apple Store anyway. I was initially told that nothing could be done, but the store's manager was kind enough to unlock it for me since it wasn't registered as stolen. Now I have a fully functioning iPad at a fraction of the cost.

It never hurts to try.

That manager should be fired.

Laurench

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2014
Any help Joanna1990?

I also bought a used iPad of which I'm trying to bypass the activation. I followed your directions to the point where I clicked on most of the download clouds, turned the screen off, then turned the screen back on. The screen did not proceed to shut off, and I waited until it shut off due to inactivity, but no home screen has been reached. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

I just wanna share this and maybe it could help you. But please bare with me coz I'm not good at written instructions. I've had the same problem with my iPad 2 for over 2 months. i forgot the answers to my security questions and my apple id was disabled and i thot resetting it would clear the applw id but i was wrong and got stuck on the activation lock. So I've decided today to get my iPad and mess with it a little bit to see if there is a way that I could bypass the activation code. It was a success and I was surprised coz I've done a lot of searching and I found nothing at all. I know how frustrating it is so this is what I did. *pick language *location/country When I get to the "network selection" option I just selected a text and try to bring it to the copy/cut/paste/define mode ,then I chose define .after that the manage or search web option popped . What I did is I chose "manage" and there are multiple languages that has the icloud download icon, so I tapped multiple languages to download over and over ,locked the screen and unlocked it back then after doing that the screen shuts off (slightly like it'll stop to work)and it brought me to the home screen of my iPad. And I've bypassed the activation code. So there you go . Please let me know if it helped you too. Best of luck... Cheers...

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
B.s.

That manager deserves a raise!

Apple retail survived despite all the predictions it would massively fail, only because Steve Jobs demanded the stores provide a superior shopping experience, complete with "service after the sale" and no pushy commissioned sales staff.

One of the things that keeps customers coming back and recommending Apple to their friends and relatives is the company's willingness to bend the rules a bit, and in other cases, not to make hard and fast rules at all, so there's some flexibility and agility in the system.

Example? Back when LCD displays were the new, "in" thing to buy -- everyone had concerns about bad pixels. The question was always, "How many bad pixels do you consider acceptable before you'll let me do an exchange over it?" Everyone from Dell to HP to Toshiba had some sort of rule. Apple was almost the sole exception. They refused to ever quote a number of bad pixels.... simply stating instead that, "We'll review those situations on a case by case basis." In reality, that meant pro photographers, videographers and artists for whom even 1 bad pixel presented a problem were able to get a replacement display, in most situations. Maybe not ALWAYS, but at least they could argue their case at the retail store and the store manager COULD swap it out without some strict rule in place getting him/her in trouble for doing so.

The times when Apple alienates customers are almost always when some rule is laid down at the corporate level, giving no leeway to address a concern. (EG. Product recalls that don't cover more than a specific range of serial numbers, despite other identical systems having the same defect but a serial number just shy of the covered range.)

That manager should be fired.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
That manager deserves a raise!

Apple retail survived despite all the predictions it would massively fail, only because Steve Jobs demanded the stores provide a superior shopping experience, complete with "service after the sale" and no pushy commissioned sales staff.

One of the things that keeps customers coming back and recommending Apple to their friends and relatives is the company's willingness to bend the rules a bit, and in other cases, not to make hard and fast rules at all, so there's some flexibility and agility in the system.

Example? Back when LCD displays were the new, "in" thing to buy -- everyone had concerns about bad pixels. The question was always, "How many bad pixels do you consider acceptable before you'll let me do an exchange over it?" Everyone from Dell to HP to Toshiba had some sort of rule. Apple was almost the sole exception. They refused to ever quote a number of bad pixels.... simply stating instead that, "We'll review those situations on a case by case basis." In reality, that meant pro photographers, videographers and artists for whom even 1 bad pixel presented a problem were able to get a replacement display, in most situations. Maybe not ALWAYS, but at least they could argue their case at the retail store and the store manager COULD swap it out without some strict rule in place getting him/her in trouble for doing so.

The times when Apple alienates customers are almost always when some rule is laid down at the corporate level, giving no leeway to address a concern. (EG. Product recalls that don't cover more than a specific range of serial numbers, despite other identical systems having the same defect but a serial number just shy of the covered range.)

Service has nothing to do with security. The iPad was "allegedly" won yet it had someone's iCloud account logged in and Find My iPad turned on. There's no way a brand new iPad came with someone's iCloud details already with the iPad. So if what they were really given was a used iPad, the reasonable thing would be to bring it up to whomever he received it from to put in the password. The previous owner shouldn't have a problem with that because it was "won" right? And that manager has no right to unlock other people's iPads so that someone else can benefit from their loss. It's a security issue, plain and simple.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
No.... still have to disagree ....

The Apple store manager or staff shouldn't be expected to act as gatekeepers or police -- making assumptions that customers must be lying about a need for a device reset.

Plenty of places do product giveaways with products that aren't really brand new, as in sealed in a box that was never opened. Many of our area car dealers, for example, will give away an iPad or iPad mini with the purchase of a new car or truck as a "free bonus". I'm sure it's been known to happen that a salesperson opened one of those "new" iPad boxes and tinkered around with the device before wiping the fingerprints off and putting it back, to give it away.

The general opinion is that if you won it in a giveaway or contest, you're not really in any position to care or complain if someone actually used/handled it a little bit first.

In your example, sure .... the winner could go back to where they got it and ask about the iCloud account on it. But there's a really good chance whoever put it on there wasn't going to fess up to doing it (not wanting to get in trouble for using the contest giveaway device). And there's just as good a chance that whoever did it wasn't around when the winner inquired about it -- so everyone else involved really doesn't know the password to unlock it.

All I'm saying is, sure -- this *might* constitute a "security issue", but it CERTAINLY constitutes good customer service (assisting the user with issues making the device in their possession work for them). If the person really made the whole story up about an iPad he/she stole? Then that's on his/her conscience, and Apple could still note the serial number and collect the person's driver's license or other I.D. -- in case it came up later.

Service has nothing to do with security. The iPad was "allegedly" won yet it had someone's iCloud account logged in and Find My iPad turned on. There's no way a brand new iPad came with someone's iCloud details already with the iPad. So if what they were really given was a used iPad, the reasonable thing would be to bring it up to whomever he received it from to put in the password. The previous owner shouldn't have a problem with that because it was "won" right? And that manager has no right to unlock other people's iPads so that someone else can benefit from their loss. It's a security issue, plain and simple.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
The Apple store manager or staff shouldn't be expected to act as gatekeepers or police

If the managers do have the ability to unlock devices then yes, they should be expected to act like "gatekeepers". If not, then what the hell is the point to having activation lock in the first place if anyone can just unlock a stolen device by just asking without any proof of ownership...!?

I'm sure it's been known to happen that a salesperson opened one of those "new" iPad boxes and tinkered around with the device before wiping the fingerprints off and putting it back, to give it away.

That's a horrible excuse! If you won a free iPad and someone "tinkered" with it before you actually get to use it I wouldn't want the device at all, even if it's free! For all you know, they could have setup the device to be tracked with Find my iPad! It's not Apple's fault it was opened up already, it's the dealerships fault!

But there's a really good chance whoever put it on there wasn't going to fess up to doing it (not wanting to get in trouble for using the contest giveaway device).

The fact they would get in trouble if they did find out makes it obvious it was wrong to do in the first place!!!

All I'm saying is, sure -- this *might* constitute a "security issue", but it CERTAINLY constitutes good customer service (assisting the user with issues making the device in their possession work for them). If the person really made the whole story up about an iPad he/she stole? Then that's on his/her conscience, and Apple could still note the serial number and collect the person's driver's license or other I.D. -- in case it came up later.

Your logic is mind blowing and irrational. I hope you never become responsible for people's security. Your priorities are clearly out of place when it comes to privacy. And I say this without meaning any offense. That is just the truth of it.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
We'll clearly have to agree to disagree, but ....

If the managers do have the ability to unlock devices then yes, they should be expected to act like "gatekeepers". If not, then what the hell is the point to having activation lock in the first place if anyone can just unlock a stolen device by just asking without any proof of ownership...!?

It's like practically ALL forms of security; just a deterrent! Most people who knowingly steal devices like iPhones or iPads aren't going to keep making Genius Bar appointments to get them unlocked! And as I pointed out, there's nothing wrong with the store collecting the person's information at the time they agree to do an unlock. Then, the authorities have evidence to make an arrest if need-be. And furthermore, they could stop the obvious fraudulent activations when the same person keeps coming in, trying to unlock 6 devices in a week.....

I never said I was much of a fan of the whole activation lock thing to begin with. I think we got by just fine for years without it ... and now it adds another layer of complexity to anyone wanting to resell or give a device to somebody else. If Apple wants to do this, I think it should definitely be done where they err on the side of trusting the person requesting the unlock, unless something is blatantly wrong.

It's a LOT like the CD keys Microsoft has on software. You're only supposed to get one shot at activating a product like a copy of Windows 7 or 8 ... yet there's an automated phone based process where anyone can call in to reset the activation to work on another install. You have to answer a couple of questions properly (telling them you only have it installed on 1 PC and what-not), but essentially, Microsoft trusts you're not trying to pirate it and lets you do the re-activation. Still, it's a deterrent to mass piracy because it slows down the would-be pirate and makes people worry about leaving a trail behind if they're calling in many times to do this repeatedly.

fdxwynn

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2014
Should not have any crack the activation unlock screen!

Bought a "parts only" iPad 2(2,2) for $87.50 on eBay. Needed the back bezel to fix another iPad 2, as this part alone is $125 when bought separately. The whole thing is in beautiful shape, and it amazingly boots right up to the activation unlock screen, requiring entry of the users email address and PIN. The eBay seller did not have this information when asked. I do not know if it is stolen, but the thought has crossed my mind. I've performed a factory restore, but to no avail. I've searched the interwebs high and lo, and even though the Activation Lock is easily bypassed on iPhones running iOS 7.x, I cannot find a solution for the iPad. Any ideas?

Thanks.

If the sale was legit, then I doubt he wouldn't have the activation details . It's most likely stolen. You should do - be nice, contact apple or apple store, and ask if they can trace the original owner to give them back their iPad. You should put yourself in their shoe to see when you got your ipad stolen? how do you feel? not about the ipad but anything you bought and own them then you lost them? I knew since I also lost my new Ipad Air 128 gig WiFi-Cell in the airplane ( Jetblue Buffalo, NY) until now can not be found. I did not have a chance to sign up with the Cell provider yet. If I did. I will be able to trach down. But I set and lock down the ipad. and wish that person whoever got my Ipad will return it back to me since I saved up money to buy it.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Apple won't do it even if you can prove ownership.

Why?

It would add a whole new element of fraud that Apple would have to try and address: ID theft. Not only is the current model easy for them (because they can just say no), it allows them to not have to look at a handwritten, on the back of an Arby's napkin, transfer of ownership that may or may not be real...

Original owners? Dead Family Members? Employees?

If they started unlocking for "special circumstances" think about the potential for abuse. Just be honest, because you know as well as I do that all of a sudden everyone would become an "administrator for their tech department that had a disgruntled employee refuse to unlock the device" or have a dearly departed son that "died tragically with a locked iPad that held the only copies of treasured memories...".

All of a sudden there would be lines of people with "valid" and "heartwrenching" stories. And what would Apple do? Unlock everyone? Turn some people away?

WAY too much hassle.

Here's a simple idea: Don't buy a locked device. If you do, you learn a lesson. If you buy a device unlocked and lock it yourself, REMEMBER your credentials. If you forget, you learn another lesson.

Are there extreme cases? I'm sure there are. It still doesn't mean Apple is being anything but practical in denying the unlock. I know for a fact that they do, on very rare occasions, unlock devices for family in the event of deaths (after verifying the facts, doing a lot of research, etc.) but it would be too easy to fake a death certificate and newspaper article (ones that wont be under any scrutiny beyond a "genius" especially) for them to do it in store.

And I seriously doubt that a "manager" would unlock an iPad in store with nothing more than a sad story. Could it happen? Sure. I could walk out my front door and get hit by lightning WHILE getting mauled by a tiger... It COULD happen. It won't... but it could =).

It's easy to claim things that can't be proven. The same exact reason Apple won't be unlocking devices anytime soon.

And good for them! Anyone that says it isn't helping the rampant theft problem is either a reseller or sitting on a locked device themself. Everyone else thinks it's a FABULOUS idea, and kudos to Apple for actually ENFORCING it. It's nice to know that if I lose my device some lowlife won't be able to go in, claim I was his brother that died in a boating accident, and have them unlock my phone.

The system will always have flaws, but I am glad there IS a system vs. none at all.

Squall77

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2015
I Found my stolen ipad4 but I cant open it.. I forgot my user name but i remember only the password . I tried to reset username but no way

Last edited:

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
Bypassing activation lock is impossible. And it will remain impossible in my mind until I am able to bypass activation lock on my own devices.. which thus far has proven futile. Some people fail to realize that activation lock is not just something that concerns each individual iPhone, Apple servers are involved as well.

Videos can be faked, people can lie in blogs, there are a lot of scammers out there after your money.. never believe everything you see on the internet without researching the situation.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Bypassing activation lock is impossible. And it will remain impossible in my mind until I am able to bypass activation lock on my own devices.. which thus far has proven futile. Some people fail to realize that activation lock is not just something that concerns each individual iPhone, Apple servers are involved as well.

Videos can be faked, people can lie in blogs, there are a lot of scammers out there after your money.. never believe everything you see on the internet without researching the situation.
Seems like a spammer/scammer brought this thread back up from the dead essentially earlier.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
It is doable on the iPhone

And just exactly how is he getting what appears to be a cursor on that iPhone? That iPhone is clearly jailbroken and/or a developer iPhone.. which would land that video squarely in the land of "special circumstances". Clearly not available to everyone.

Disclaimer: I'm deaf and cannot hear what is being said in that video, so you'll have to forgive me if this post is in error.

----------

Seems like a spammer/scammer brought this thread back up from the dead essentially earlier.

Thank you for that.. I've removed the URL from the quote above.

jpaulley057

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2016
Wow, what vitriol in this thread.

I'm in also, looking for activation unlock help. We found an iPad on a plane when we transferred flights when we checked the pocket halfway home. When we got home, we contacted the airline in order to give our information to pass along to anyone reporting an ipad missing on that plane. They informed us that they couldn't do that, and we would have to turn the device in to the airline, and it would go to a warehouse and if it wasn't reported by the owner with an exact description within a certain time frame, it would be put up for auction, presumably for the employees of the airline.

So we called Apple customer care. They told us there was nothing they could do except to call the 'authorities'. Which authorities, they didn't say, but there was no way to determine where the owner lived, and since 'authorities' aren't in the business of tracking down owners, it would have sat in an evidence locker until it was reported, read: forever. Worse than solution 1.

Solution attempt 3: We contacted the nearest Apple store. The nearest one is about an hour away, so I called and they told me they would be able to hook it up and read the owner's information to contact them and provide my information so they could contact me. Awesome.

The next time we were in the area, we took it in. We were then told that they couldn't give me the owner's information (which we didn't want or need), nor could they give the owner our information. Liability and lawyers. Wonderful.

So we contacted a few IT friends to see if there was anything we could do. Nothing.

So we sorta gave up for a while, but then a video on YouTube showed how one could bypass the lock and use facetime to contact the owner.

Excellent. So I give it a try and it doesn't work for iPad, as was indicated earlier in this thread.

So I'm in for ideas, and hopefully to give some of the vitriolic people some information they weren't aware of. Further, there are still some good Samaritans in the world. not everyone's a thief, and shouting and finger pointing doesn't accomplish anything. Anyhow...

Along the way, I learned that connecting to iTunes gave me the 'name' of the iPad, which appears to be the owner's name, but it's a common name, so no help there.

Thanks,

***TL;DR***

Found iPad, unable to track down owner, trying to get past activation lock to use facetime to get some contact info to contact owner to return device.

iPad2 iOS 7.0.x
[doublepost=1464660613][/doublepost]Hello,
What is the name on the iPad please? We lost one around that time frame & just now came across this.
Thanks!
Jason & Abbie

SmokeyJacket

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2016
I apologize for posting in such an old thread, but the topic is on-point for my question. I know absolutely nothing about the Apple world, so please forgive my naivety. A friend of mine has recently lost a loved one in a personal tragedy, a suicide. As part of their normal investigation, the police took the deceased person's iPhone, but they were not interested in the young man's iPad, which he pretty much lived on. Basically, it doesn't appear that anything criminal or illegal was going on, but the family is highly motivated to see the iPad and what he might have been saying. This is one of those "He was such a great kid and had everything going for him" situations that shocks everyone involved, but it doesn't involve drugs or national security or the like, so it looks like any investigation of the contents of this iPad will have to be done privately. I think that the iTunes account on the iPad is shared between the family, so the password for that is known. The iCloud password is probably also known. He ran iTunes on a PC, not a Mac.

So in short, I am hoping someone can help direct me to any way to bypass the numeric password on the iPad. It has not been disabled, we have not tried to guess it at all. Hopefully his iPad data is backed up on iCloud or iTunes somehow. His laptop may also have information on the drive, I am going to remove the 2.5" drive from his laptop and insert it into an enclosure and mirror it before scraping it for passwords and information, but asking you guru Apple folk if there is an easy way seemed like a good start. BTW I've seen the various hardware devices designed to break entry passcodes on iPhones and interrupting the power to prevent device lockout - I will purchase one of those, if need be, if there is a model that will function on the iPad. While I would not be pleased giving money to the kind of people who build devices that essentially facilitate theft, I will swallow my pride and do it if it will help give my friends - two very devastated parents - some kind of peace.

Thanks for any direction or assistance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.