Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbtran

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2013
Hawaii, USA
Question for those of you that are using the KHOMO back with the Apple Smart Cover:

Why?

Is it just because you want to be able to detach the Smart Cover from time to time, but still protect the back? I bought a KHOMO case recently, mostly because of the information in this thread and I love it, but it seems to me like the original front of the case is more than sufficient for me and I see no good reason to modify it.

Just curious.
I got this case when it first came out, and its still in great condition. People like having the option to take the cover off, so it won't be hanging loose in the back. I haven't done it yet, because i find the cover that it came with sturdier then the iPad smart cover that i had for the iPad air 1 and the magnets seem way stronger

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
I'm confused by this case.... can the front cover be removed/reattached magnetically or is it all one piece? I thought it was two pieces, hence "dual" case, but this Q/A says otherwise:

http://www.amazon.com/cover-removed...UTF8&asin=B00OKT5HBY&cdItems=25&store=generic

Nope, it is just like any other iPad case. However, it can be modified as people in this thread have done. You remove the cover part from the case and it becomes a near-perfect match for the magnetically attachable (hence detachable) Apple Smart Cover (sold separately).

The same could be achieved with a Boxwave Smart Cover-compatible case without having to modify anything, but this case (with the modification) looks nicer and seems to fit better.

I found a kickstarter for a case with detachable cover (plus many other functions) and it looks absolutely amazing but for some reason it hasn't taken off and I doubt it will be funded.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
Question for those of you that are using the KHOMO back with the Apple Smart Cover:

Why?

Is it just because you want to be able to detach the Smart Cover from time to time, but still protect the back? I bought a KHOMO case recently, mostly because of the information in this thread and I love it, but it seems to me like the original front of the case is more than sufficient for me and I see no good reason to modify it.

Just curious.

Being able to tear off the front cover is the reason for me. It's nice to be able to just not deal with the front cover folded up while using the device.

The smart cover is also made of higher quality (front and back).

The other reason is that it's just so cool how the cover magnetically sticks to the iPad

slopokdave

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Nope, it is just like any other iPad case. However, it can be modified as people in this thread have done. You remove the cover part from the case and it becomes a near-perfect match for the magnetically attachable (hence detachable) Apple Smart Cover (sold separately).

The same could be achieved with a Boxwave Smart Cover-compatible case without having to modify anything, but this case (with the modification) looks nicer and seems to fit better.

I found a kickstarter for a case with detachable cover (plus many other functions) and it looks absolutely amazing but for some reason it hasn't taken off and I doubt it will be funded.

I see now after I went back and read, its glued together but can be "ripped" off. Thanks Sheza.

mrgossett

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
Being able to tear off the front cover is the reason for me. It's nice to be able to just not deal with the front cover folded up while using the device.

The smart cover is also made of higher quality (front and back).

The other reason is that it's just so cool how the cover magnetically sticks to the iPad

This... Plus the Air Smart Cover fits over the bottom case better (really perfectly) than the one that came attached to the Khomo. And the red Air 1 Smart Cover looks great with the black Khomo back. If you already have a Smart Cover and the Khomo case, I guarantee you'll like the result of replacing the Khomo cover with the Smart Cover.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010

Why?

Just curious.

Detachability.

For a quick 5 minute session, having the folded down cover in your hands is fine. But for an hour or two it's downright uncomfortable. It's even more important today with Apple's ultra-thin iPad Air 2 because as the iPads get thinner the covers get thicker as a proportion of the bulk in your hands.

A removable magnetic Smart Cover is perfect protection when you need it and a terrific stand when you need it and it disappears completely with a tug. Once you're sold on the awesomeness of the removable Smart Cover you need a complimentary back cover for protection and that's where things get tricky, there just aren't enough choices out there in black as a perfect match, hence the Khomo boxcutter surgery.

BJ

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
Detachability.

For a quick 5 minute session, having the folded down cover in your hands is fine. But for an hour or two it's downright uncomfortable. It's even more important today with Apple's ultra-thin iPad Air 2 because as the iPads get thinner the covers get thicker as a proportion of the bulk in your hands.

A removable magnetic Smart Cover is perfect protection when you need it and a terrific stand when you need it and it disappears completely with a tug. Once you're sold on the awesomeness of the removable Smart Cover you need a complimentary back cover for protection and that's where things get tricky, there just aren't enough choices out there in black as a perfect match, hence the Khomo boxcutter surgery.

BJ
This.

I really want this to succeed in funding but it doesn't look like it will. This is like the hack in this thread except more functional.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
This... Plus the Air Smart Cover fits over the bottom case better (really perfectly) than the one that came attached to the Khomo. And the red Air 1 Smart Cover looks great with the black Khomo back. If you already have a Smart Cover and the Khomo case, I guarantee you'll like the result of replacing the Khomo cover with the Smart Cover.

Where is the best/cheapest place to pick up the old iPad Smart Cover that fits along with this KHOMO?

I'm ready to buy. :D

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010

Happy to have helped.

Remember that if you want the black's to match you need last years Apple Smart Covet MF053LL/A which is deep black and not this years model which is actually grey.

BJ
So what are we looking for if we want black the iPad Air original Smart Cover? Where is it cheapest to purchase at Apple?

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
So what are we looking for if we want black the iPad Air original Smart Cover? Where is it cheapest to purchase at Apple?

It's discontinued at Apple stores.

I found mine at Best Buy using their online reservation system. If that fails try eBay.

BJ

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
I got a couple questions before pulling the trigger and purchasing.

Does the Apple Smart Cover when open/folded back stick to the back of the KHOMO case?

Can removing the cover a lot scratch up the rear shell of our iPads?

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
No the smart cover does not magnetically stick to the rear of the iPad. The back of the iPads are pretty scratch resilient, however the chamfered polished edge is prone to markups.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
No the smart cover does not magnetically stick to the rear of the iPad. The back of the iPads are pretty scratch resilient, however the chamfered polished edge is prone to markups.

This is a bummer I wonder why not if the case is supposedly so thin and the magnets are very strong. I don't get how it'd work on the Smartcase and not something like this...maybe there's 2 magnets and one on the back?

I could just get the Smartcase but it's bulky and not very good fitting nothing like last years that I had on my Air

Last edited:

SipperyPete

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2011
This is a bummer I wonder why not if the case is supposedly so thin and the magnets are very strong. I don't get how it'd work on the Smartcase and not something like this...maybe there's 2 magnets and one on the back?

I could just get the Smartcase but it's bulky and not very good fitting nothing like last years that I had on my Air

The whole purpose of this mod is so that you can take the smart cover completely off when you're using it...if you were still planning on folding it back, then the KHOMO itself would suffice without modding it and adding a smart cover.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Can anyone with the complete Khomo case confirm this please...

With the apple smart cover and smart case, you can fold the cover into the stand the "wrong way round" and its still sturdy. By "wrong way round" I mean normally you fold it with the microfibre on the outside, but I don't like this as you can pick up grit etc and then that transfers to the screen etc. I fold it the "wrong way round" with the outside of the cover on the outside.

Not many 3rd party cases can do this... just wondered if someone can try and report back?

Cheers

Versed

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2012
Can anyone with the complete Khomo case confirm this please...

With the apple smart cover and smart case, you can fold the cover into the stand the "wrong way round" and its still sturdy. By "wrong way round" I mean normally you fold it with the microfibre on the outside, but I don't like this as you can pick up grit etc and then that transfers to the screen etc. I fold it the "wrong way round" with the outside of the cover on the outside.

Not many 3rd party cases can do this... just wondered if someone can try and report back?

Cheers

I just tried to make the reverse stand with my Khomo iPad Air 2 case. It can hold up the iPad up, but is quite unstable and collapses when I touch the screen with normal pressure. I wouldn't recommend using it this way.

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
This case is an incredible value for the price. I'm very impressed.

I picked up the carbon fiber case for my new iPad Air 2.

image.jpg1_zpsovpnpbo9.jpg

xfusejc

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2006
It's a great case, but I keep changing it out for just the smart cover every once in a while because it is very heavy.

In comparison to the iPad alone, or even with the full iPad Case, it feels like 1 or 2 pounds heavier. Probably not, I know, but perception for me is definitely a heavy case.

jonhcox

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
North Carolina
I just ordered the black one for my iPad Air 2. I have the red one on wife's iPad Mini 2 and it's held up beautifully. I bought iPads for my parents for Christmas and got each of them one of these cases. They love them. Especially my drop-prone dad. No damage to his iPad after 2 drops, just a lot of scuffing on a couple corners.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.