Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipadlvr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2014
I'm running into thread after thread on the Apple forums of people on 8.0-8.1 complaining their iOS devices drop WiFi connections all the time. (Doesn't happen with devices on iOS7 or lower.

Is this an issue with the new iPad Air 2?

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I haven't noticed it on my iPad air 2. This is my only apple device that I own so can't Comment on phones

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
Yes this is an issue. I had the same problem with my rmini as soon as I went to iOS8.

ipadlvr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2014
Yes this is an issue. I had the same problem with my rmini as soon as I went to iOS8.

Yea. I think it is an issue for people who updated their devices.

I was curious if the Air 2 is OK out of the box with 8.1 and doesn't have WiFi issues.

I will never update my iPad Air 2 after it comes out of the box, so if it is working fine out of the box then it is fine with me.

----------

No wi-fi issues at all with mine.

Excellent then.

MacNiall

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2010
London, U.K
I've had some issues on my Air 2 - it'll decide to just not load anything for a while whilst simultaneously switching to the slower wifi channel my router kicks out. All for no apparent reason

However my 5S has been doing the same thing so it's probably more a problem with the router and how far away it is in the house than anything else. Who knows

YouTube has been playing up a LOT on my Air 2 though. Loading videos in dodgy quality, stuttering, and flat out not loading at all. Not that I mind really, I mean that'll all be ironed out in a software update I imagine..

NashMan2

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2009
It did take a while (2 hours) to reload everything from my ipad3 on the new air 2. (I have way too many apps).
I rebooted my wifi and the reload got faster. No issues with wifi after that.

ipadlvr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2014
I've had some issues on my Air 2 - it'll decide to just not load anything for a while whilst simultaneously switching to the slower wifi channel my router kicks out. All for no apparent reason

However my 5S has been doing the same thing so it's probably more a problem with the router and how far away it is in the house than anything else. Who knows

YouTube has been playing up a LOT on my Air 2 though. Loading videos in dodgy quality, stuttering, and flat out not loading at all. Not that I mind really, I mean that'll all be ironed out in a software update I imagine..

If it isn't 100% out of the box then I won't buy it.

i-aamir

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2010
UK - London
Whilst using my Air 2 yesterday for about an hour the wifi cut out 3 times where I had to toggle the wifi switch on/off to get it live again. I have that with all my iOS 8 devices and as mentioned earlier my MBP R is always consistently solid on the same network.

This concludes that the WIFI issues are software related not hardware. I have been advised by an AppleCare senior Tech that apple are fully aware and the issues should be resolved in the next update ( Hopefully!!)

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
No, all fine here. Out of curiosity did you do a clean install or restore from backup? I've had problems with iOS8, 8.02 and 8.1 on WiFi on all our devices where any sort of upgrade was done but the fresh installs on 8.0.2 and 8.1 have worked perfectly.

I'd suggest resetting your Network Settings (Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings) and see if that helps. Sorted out every problem I've had on three different devices.

MacNiall

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2010
London, U.K
If it isn't 100% out of the box then I won't buy it.

Well it is a brand new piece of tech so it's bound to have some issues. And any issues you see now are minor at best, and will be ironed out real soon with a software update. Don't let it scare you off from buying one, it really is an amazing device otherwise!

ipadlvr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2014
Well it is a brand new piece of tech so it's bound to have some issues. And any issues you see now are minor at best, and will be ironed out real soon with a software update. Don't let it scare you off from buying one, it really is an amazing device otherwise!

I don't want to update any iOS device. Maybe I'll wait until it gets the update out of the box.

I'm not sure when it will be available in Thailand.

barjam

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
All of my i devices have had this problem since 8.0 released. My fix has been to disable 5ghz on my router.

For those of you with Apple routers just rename the 5ghz band to something else until they fix this.

ipadlvr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2014
All of my i devices have had this problem since 8.0 released. My fix has been to disable 5ghz on my router.

For those of you with Apple routers just rename the 5ghz band to something else until they fix this.

I don't know. I live in a condo and I connect to a WiFi service that the condo has. The WiFi modems are in the hallway.

I went to their website. Their modems are 802.11n. Does that mean they're likely to be 2.4ghz?

Last edited:

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
I've had the same issue on my Air 1 since upgrading to iOS 8. The recent update to 8.1 didn't fix it. A couple of times a reboot fixed it but a couple of times I've had to 'forget network settings' and reconnect.

It's a software issue and seems to pop up with each new OS. I just can't figure out why Apple can't get wifi right. But they sure do seem to have issues with it.

Hopefully the next upgrade will fix it. But then, this last on (8.1) was supposed to. And who knows when we will get another.

ipadlvr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2014
I've had the same issue on my Air 1 since upgrading to iOS 8. The recent update to 8.1 didn't fix it. A couple of times a reboot fixed it but a couple of times I've had to 'forget network settings' and reconnect.

It's a software issue and seems to pop up with each new OS. I just can't figure out why Apple can't get wifi right. But they sure do seem to have issues with it.

Hopefully the next upgrade will fix it. But then, this last on (8.1) was supposed to. And who knows when we will get another.

Yes. They may never really fix it for all I know. I don't want to buy something that doesn't work and pray Apple fixes it.

I had an iPhone for 2 years and I'm not playing the update game.

If I buy a WiFi iPad, and the WiFi doesn't work, then the device is useless..

I just want to know if it is like this out of the box or people updated it and then had issues.

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010

Yup my air 2 did it yesterday. I switched off my 5Ghz and this seems to be working good now.

mutelight

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Bay Area, CA

I haven't noticed any drops with my Air 2 yet but I only got it yesterday. When I updated my original Air to iOS 8, I had the 5Ghz issue. Fortunately I have two separate SSIDs and connecting to the 2.4Ghz band solves the issue for now. It is definitely software related.

I have a Netgear Nighthawk so it definitely isn't specific to Airport Extreme routers either.

The irony is that when I was waiting to pick up my Air 2, I was using some iPhone 6s in the store and some of them had the dead connection issue.

ipadlvr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2014
Yup my air 2 did it yesterday. I switched off my 5Ghz and this seems to be working good now.

I can't configure my WiFi is the problem.

I wonder if you disable location services entirely if the WiFi issues go away..

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
Yes. They may never really fix it for all I know. I don't want to buy something that doesn't work and pray Apple fixes it.

I just want to know if it is like this out of the box or people updated it and then had issues.

If it's a software issue then the Air 2 will likely have the same issue. I certainly don't blame you for your hesitation. It's pretty much a crap shoot as to if and when a fix comes out. But in the past Apple has eventually fixed wifi issues. And as I understand from reading the forums not everyone has the problem.

Good luck with your decision.

ReallyNiceGuy

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2014
Vancouver, BC

Any technology will always have bugs. The bugs will be fixed and as the next release comes out there will be new bugs. They will be fixed, rinse and repeat.

The choice is to use a rotary dial land line and listen to a 1980's style radio box or move forward with technology.

mutelight

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Bay Area, CA
Any technology will always have bugs. The bugs will be fixed and as the next release comes out there will be new bugs. They will be fixed, rinse and repeat.

The choice is to use a rotary dial land line and listen to a 1980's style radio box or move forward with technology.

No doubt they will be it is very unfortunate that a bug this bad made it into the wild. I ran into it right away on my Air (hopefully won't on my Air 2) but the fact that I was seeing iPhone 6s affected by it in the Apple store, that is quite bad.

There will always be bugs but WiFi reliability is one of the worst.

ipadlvr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2014

I know. Buy not being able to connect to WiFi reliably on a WiFi iPad is a pretty big deal. It basically makes it useless.

And I know, from my own experience one of 2 things will happen

1) the issue will never be fixed for me even though I update it

2) I update and the WiFi will be fixed but the update will break something else

And I'm not playing that game. Been there done that.

I bought an iPad mini for my wife. It is perfect out of the box. I told her the only rule is never to push update. We never updated it from day 1. It is the way it came out of the box.

If she had updated it maybe now her WiFi would be broken. See?

The tile with apple iOS devices is, it will never ever be better than the day it comes out of the box. But if it comes out of the box already broken it means it will have issues as long as I own it.

The other issue is, stores here aren't really apple stores. They're resellers. Once you buy something you can't get your money back. You can exchange it within a few days with a new one if it is defective but getting your money back here is pretty hard. I love in Thailand. Apple won't open an official store here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.